4 hours ago, jhwalker said:

This new release from Alexandre Kantarow:

http://www.eclassical.com/kantorow-alexandre/bis2150.html

5001356-origpic-4edb56.jpg_0_0_100_100_1

A truly virtuoso performance, and beautifully recorded.  This guy has a great career ahead of him!

When I read Robert von Bahr's enthusiastic email about this release, I was immediately tempted.  I'll probably get this asap.  

This SACD includes Henze's complete "Royal Winter Music" plus Britten's "Nocturnal." Wonderful playing and recording.

711xStl7TaL._SL500_.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

17 hours ago, Musicophile said:

When I read Robert von Bahr's enthusiastic email about this release, I was immediately tempted.  I'll probably get this asap.  

The only complaint I have is that the metadata on the eClassical.com download is really messed up. But the playing and recording, wow! Especially the piano transcription of "L'Oiseau de feu." Can't have enough of it.

Call me predictable

J.S. Bach: St Matthew Passion

Nikolaus Harnoncourt with Arnold Schoenberg Chor

71CVYbdpNCL._SL1500_.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

20 minutes ago, Klavier said:

This is plucking sublime in every aspect.

Have been meaning to get this one for a while. Thanks for reminding. What format do you have?

Album of the evening:

Johann Gottfried Conradi: Neue Lauten Stücke, 1724
José Miguel Moreno

MI0003495234.jpg

22 minutes ago, accwai said:

Have been meaning to get this one for a while. Thanks for reminding. What format do you have?

As shown: SACD. It's available in hi-res up to D256, but that gets a little pricey.

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

After listening a couple of times to the wonderful Alexandre Kantorow performance of the piano transcription of "L'Oiseau de feu," I realized that I did not own any performance of the original ballet score or of the orchestral suite. Really? How could that be? So I went searching for options available as downloads (because I'm lazy). There are some highly recommended Boulez-conducted performances of the suite, but only available as CD. After more digging, I struck gold: a 1959 Antal Dorati, London Symphony Orchestra that was digitally remastered to SACD and also available as hires PCM. Got the 88.2/24 PCM version from HDtracks. Looked at one of the files with Musicscope, clearly a SACD conversion with a very nice gentle slope above 22hHz and then the standard gentle SACD discretization "hill" at higher frequencies. Detailed review or the release here. Anyway, listening to it now, beautiful performance and sound with just a hint of background hiss. A gem. For you DSD fans or SACD-rippers, it may well be worth going to the original encoding, but since my DAC is PCM only (Schiit Yggdrasil), it did not make sense to do that.

NME8FO8.png

cover.thumb.jpg.f127d8ce64180c620a475b7991933cce.jpg

Respighi: Sinfonia Drammatica & Belfagor Overture. John Neschling conducts the Orchestre Philarmonique Royal de Liège in top-notch performances.

The sound, from a 24/96 Qobuz download, nicely conveys the rich orchestration of these works.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Sorry, too much classical/not enough variety here lately, have to change it up:

folder.jpg

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, Hauser said:

I have listened to this but to my ears, doesn't have much emotional impact.  I find Sally Whitwell's piano version of Mad Rush much more entertaining.

I don't go to minimalist music for "emotional impact," I go for detachment, calm, retuning perception to be more sensitive away from everyday overload. YMMV.