15 hours ago, jhwalker said:

The new "Bach Trios" featuring Chris Thile, Yo Yo Ma, and Edgar Meyer, is wonderful!

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/bach-trios-yo-yo-ma-chris-thile-edgar-meyer/0075597939187

I expected it to be a gimmick (hear Chris Thile play Bach on a mandolin!), but am thoroughly enjoying it - have listened to it three times since Friday. 

IMG_0373.JPG

Let me be the outlier here: I tried it this morning and the sound of the mandolin to me just doesn't fit.

I agree that Bach wouldn't have minded, but just not my cup of tea.

I suggest suggest you sample before you buy.

On 9.4.2017 at 2:00 AM, Klavier said:

The Mozart today. Sublime.

51hd8JQ6WAL.jpg

Really absolut top performance - unique! Started with the Brahms some minutes again and really enjoy it. Thank you so much. I have absolutely no idea, why this recording never was on my screen before.

SQ could be better - I can not find a better digital transfer on HDTT or Pristine.

Of course I will compare it to my benchmark from Arthur Grumiax, New Philharmonia Orchestra (Colin Davis) from 1971.

Can not wait for the Mozart now ;)

10 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Let me be the outlier here: I tried it this morning and the sound of the mandolin to me just doesn't fit.

I didn't like it the first time I heard it either - pulled it out of my shopping cart at Qobuz.

Then I listened one more time . . . and was hooked ;)  Maybe just my lowbrow taste  LOL

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

6 hours ago, jhwalker said:

I didn't like it the first time I heard it either - pulled it out of my shopping cart at Qobuz.

Then I listened one more time . . . and was hooked ;)  Maybe just my lowbrow taste  LOL

My reaction was similar but I decided to get it as much because I appreciate the artists but I don't expect to play it much. For me I think it's in no small part a matter of associations.

For better or worse what I experience when I hear a mandolin is very different from my reactions to the sound of the lute; two instruments that share many common qualities.

I have much music for mandolin that I enjoy but I don't think I'll find this in "heavy rotation". I do hope the "lowbrow taste" was in jest as I doubt any such suggestion was intended.

Build Me Up From Bones ~ Sarah Jarosz

SJ_-COVERFINAL.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

19 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I have only "straight" JSB performances in my collection, so I was unsure about this one, but I've really liked its lightness and sense of fun. Not every performance needs to be like Fournier, Walcha, Egarr, Schiff, wonderful as they are.

14 hours ago, Klavier said:

Wow--easily one of the best I've heard. Fantastically rich, warm sound, too. A winner.

61AWyIJNn%2BL._SS500.jpg

This is high praise from someone whose opinion on such matters I hold in high regard. I find this quote from a review in the Guardian interesting...

" She cultivates an extremely wide range of sound, in some variations as hard-hitting as Glenn Gould, at others dreamy and serene. ... She is quirky at times, drawing out little accompaniment figures that are not important in the big scheme, and you fear she will lose her way. But then she galvanises the final variations into an exuberant, moving sequence before returning to the peace of the aria with utter calm."

Looks like my collection of Goldbergs will grow a bit more.

Rimsky-Korsakov: Russian Easter Festival

61VDGq7bPFL.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Just now, BacHolz said:

This is high praise from someone whose opinion on such matters I hold in high regard. I find this quote from a review in the Guardian interesting...

" She cultivates an extremely wide range of sound, in some variations as hard-hitting as Glenn Gould, at others dreamy and serene. ... She is quirky at times, drawing out little accompaniment figures that are not important in the big scheme, and you fear she will lose her way. But then she galvanises the final variations into an exuberant, moving sequence before returning to the peace of the aria with utter calm."

Looks like my collection of Goldbergs will grow a bit more.

Rimsky-Korsakov: Russian Easter Festival

61VDGq7bPFL.jpg

Rana's Goldberg has received highest praises by pretty much every professional reviewer out there.

I find her approach very intimate and interesting, but I'm not yet 100% sold. Probably need to play it some more times.

cover.thumb.JPG.c9e8d985336b409c1ea52f92dae8fdd9.JPG

The Max Roach 4 (Roach, Dorham, Mobeley, Boyd) Plays Charlie Parker. Great stuff.

Surprisingly good early stereo sound (1957/58) from a 24/96 HDTapeTransfers download.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Very few of these pieces have been attempted on the guitar before this ground-breaking release in 1993. Very good playing and sound.

A17ATpGHPXL._SL500_.jpg

91LQFFYPk8L._SL500_.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

Robin de Raaff is a new name to me. His style is hard to pin down--some parts remind me more recent Penderecki, others a bit of Schoenberg, still others very fragmented and pointillistic. The sound varies a bit among the pieces, but it is never less than very good. Pieces include his Cello Concerto, the title track, and Symphony No.3.

71ZFLqqoZIL._SL500_.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

2 hours ago, Klavier said:

Robin de Raaff is a new name to me. His style is hard to pin down--some parts remind me more recent Penderecki, others a bit of Schoenberg, still others very fragmented and pointillistic. The sound varies a bit among the pieces, but it is never less than very good. Pieces include his Cello Concerto, the title track, and Symphony No.3.

Interesting. Currently on sale at ProStudioMasters.com (thanks to findhdmusic.com for finding it).