2 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Glad to see Zelenka mentioned, as Baroque composers are popular on this forum but Zelenka seems overlooked.  His music is distinctive because it uses dissonances and modulations that were considered "incorrect" in that era.

Thanks to both of you.  I am listening now.  Excellent...

3 hours ago, Klavier said:

Extraordinary playing--very well recorded.

51ysNaS%2BBZL._SS500.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. I have enjoyed his Haydn and the Bach Sonatas & Partitas but had passed on this release. I look forward to adding it to my collection.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

14 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Shifting from troubadour/ trouvere music to the Ars Nova period (14th century)

Philippe de Vitry (1291-1361): Motets and Chansons

Sequentia

Wall to wall polytextual motets eh? That's hardcore :) Looks like this one has been out of print for a while and download without booklet is rather useless. Fortunately CD is on its way. Thanks.

For albums of the evening, Tallis Scholars performing modern works:

Eric Whitacre: Sainte-Chapelle

The Tallis Scholars, Peter Philips

GBADM1380201.jpg.6953b861154d6c92a2526cc8eb3bee64.jpg

Single track ablum: http://www.allmusic.com/album/eric-whitacre-sainte-chapelle-mw0002530616

Arvo Pärt: Tintinnabuli
The Tallis Scholars, Peter Philips

MI0003837344.jpg

CD autographed by Peter Philips B|

3 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Glad to see Zelenka mentioned, as Baroque composers are popular on this forum but Zelenka seems overlooked.  His music is distinctive because it uses dissonances and modulations that were considered "incorrect" in that era.

I have a few other trio sonatas and will committ this to memory for a later time.

I recently shared of my discovery of a Baroque composer who had escaped my attention. František Jiránek was a Czech composer and I just learned of the minor (and not so minor) players in Prague at the time. Some were true Bohemians and relocated elsewhere and the list is impressive;

• Jan Campanus Vodňanský (1572–1622)
  • Adam Václav Michna z Otradovic (~1600–1676)
  • Alberik Mazák (1609–1661)
  • Pavel Josef Vejvanovský (~1640–1693)
  • Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber (1644–1704)
  • Václav Karel Holan Rovenský (~1644–1718)
  • František Jiránek (1698 – 1778)

There is a series of "Music From 18th Century Prague" on Presto.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/llf/-/Music%2BFrom%2B18th%2BCentury%2BPrague/1

folder.jpg

folder.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

18 hours ago, accwai said:

Wall to wall polytextual motets eh? That's hardcore :) Looks like this one has been out of print for a while and download without booklet is rather useless. Fortunately CD is on its way. Thanks.

Actually, there there is some nice variety on this Sequentia album.

This one was more arduous, requiring 2 sittings: O.o

Philippe de Vitry and the Ars Nova: 14th Century Motets

The Orlando Consort

MI0001194784.jpg

Stylistically, the music of the ars nova differed from the preceding era in several ways. Developments in notation allowed notes to be written with greater independence of rhythm, shunning the limitations of the rhythmic modes which prevailed in the thirteenth century; secular music acquired much of the polyphonic sophistication previously found only in sacred music; and new techniques and forms, such as isorhythm and the isorhythmic motet, became prevalent. The overall aesthetic effect of these changes was to create music of greater expressiveness and variety than had been the case in the thirteenth century.

More music from the late medieval Ars Nova, well performed and recorded:

En un gardin: Les quatre saisons de l'Ars Nova
Capilla Flamenca - Dirk Snellings

81jvYsxyTkL._SL1500_.jpg

Haydn Trios pour cors de basset

Trios Esterhazy

001ad3db.jpeg

Mozart: Serenaden & Divertimenti

Sandor Vegh with Camerata Academica Mozarteums Salzburg

71vgbe6EZOL._SX522_.jpg