The Emerson Quartet at the Teatro Della Pergola, from Amici Della Musica's Quartets of the World series. Beautiful hall, great sound.

Il mondo del Quartetto

H. PURCELL: Ciaccona in sol minore.

[...]

H. PURCELL: Fantasia VI; Fantasia VII.

[...]

H. PURCELL: Fantasia XI; Fantasia XII.

[...]

Great timing--Have been meaning to listen to this for a while:

Purcell: Fantazias London Baroque

4435249-origpic-1cd275.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_247_0.jpg

Intricate counterpoint works. Beautiful.

Saradamani Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Sukhvinder Singh Namdari

51tEDA5wqlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Similar to A Meeting by the River. Same reference grade SQ.

Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine

Recorded live in 1964. Any one who questions Miles' sheer brilliance should listen to "Stella by Starlight"

with Herbie Hancock, George Coleman, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams (who was 18y/o at the time and sets a standard for jazz drumming that is almost impossible to match).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8862[/ATTACH]

Your album got me to pull out:

51RwRKe53CL._AA160_.jpg

Which is the same album plus another cd's worth of tracks. As tne said, a very good album. I particularly like this version of All Blues. And I like the way the album was recorded, spatially speaking.

Chris

Picked this up based on a recommendation here:

cover.jpg

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

What is it? Posting the artist's name and album title would be helpful.

BTW, thanks to the folks on this thread for turning me on to Cassandra Wilson, and, especially, Eric Bibb. Great music!

Artist: SubRosa

Title: More Constant Than the Gods

This band is from my home town, Salt Lake City.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

What is it? Posting the artist's name and album title would be helpful.

BTW, thanks to the folks on this thread for turning me on to Cassandra Wilson, and, especially, Eric Bibb. Great music!

Sorry, I just assumed everyone ignored my posts, and the extra key strokes were wasted. Guess I was wrong!

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Red Cliff Reminiscing Li Wei

51u4GPa7APL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

First Impression Music K2HD CD

Works for solo Chinese zheng. A few are old tunes, most are contemporary pieces written by Li. Amazingly broad range of expression, even sounding western in some places. Sonically this is a blockbuster. Macro and micro dynamics plus macro and micro tone colors, this one has it all. Wow!

Housemartins: London 0 Hull 4

Screen Shot 2013-11-15 at 3.42.55 PM.png

Sitting on a Fence

Sitting on a fence is a man who looks up to his guardian

Sitting on a fence is a man who swings from poll to poll

Sitting on a fence is a man who sees both sides of both sides

Sitting on a fence is a man who looks down on opinion

Sorry, I just assumed everyone ignored my posts, and the extra key strokes were wasted. Guess I was wrong!

Hey, I didn't ignore this one.

I get you though, it's easy to feel something like that on forums.

And actually, I recently listened to one of your albums of the evening, on MOG (I think it was you), Strapping Young Lad. You said it was great. What in your mind makes it great? I found it hard to listen to, but maybe if I knew what to listen for....

Chris

The Trinity Session Cowboy Junkies

ee1381b0c8a02e19b2649110.L._SY300_.jpg

Got it in vinyl shortly after it's released. Also have Latent Recordings LP version of this and Whites Off Earth Now, actually. Listened to the CD version. Still excellent after all these years. In fact, back in the old days, the stoic expression was something interesting to observe. But now, it really strikes a chord...

The Trinity Session Cowboy Junkies

ee1381b0c8a02e19b2649110.L._SY300_.jpg

+1. This album is a true classic. They anticipated by many years Chesky's approach of recording in a church hall and using its acoustics. Apparently it was recorded by a single microphone and not mixed.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Veedon Fleece - Van Morrison

Not one of his more popular albums, but beautiful, though frequently sad, music, and Van's voice and phrasing are superb.

vf.jpg

And a big +1 on the CJ "The Trinity Session" album ^ and ^^.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Two of a kind--not really.

41E7jdntfGL._AA160_.jpg

and

51RS2-AVKEL._AA160_.jpg

David Byrne and St. Vincent, Love this Giant. Interesting albums, appealing in parts at least. I hardly know them for now, but think they will grow on me. St Vincent sings and plays guitars (but not in the typical manner). There's a lot of brass in Love....

Chris

WOW. That is all one needs to say about this HDTracks release.

This is one of those disc you can get and thank me later. ;) ha ha. This disc is definitely in the reference category.

Jazz always sounds good....but then it can be amazingly recorded... and this does just that. It's the whole package.

This is definitely a Jazz/blues combo...with more Jazz than blues...but there's just a lot of elements going on in this recording. I don't think anyone would regret getting this.

Highly recommended!

folder.jpg

Hey, I didn't ignore this one.

I get you though, it's easy to feel something like that on forums.

And actually, I recently listened to one of your albums of the evening, on MOG (I think it was you), Strapping Young Lad. You said it was great. What in your mind makes it great? I found it hard to listen to, but maybe if I knew what to listen for....

Chris

SYL is metal. So if you are put off by metal music, it may not be for you.

If you are into metal and what to know what makes this album great, start with the song "Detox". The lead singer suffers from bi-polar disorder, and this is reflected into all of his music, and specifically this song. First in the lyrics he talks about his disorder and how it messes with him.

How Did I Get Here Tonight?

What Am I Doing Here?

How Did I Reach This State?

How Did I Lose My Sight?

I'm Lost ... I'm Freaking

And Everybody Knows ... Everyone's Watching

So here's all my hopes and aspirations

Nothing But Puke

God, I'm So Lonely...

What gets to me more than the lyrics is the music.. When the songs starts off it is fast, driving, and generally wants to make you smash your head against a wall. But like his disorder takes a very big shift. At 2:55 into the song it goes from just a constant drive and scream to a much more melodic and musical sound. The whole attitude of the song changes. Then at 3:57 it changes back again. Each section of the song is awesome, but when put together it creates something better.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey, thanks a lot for your 2 cents Jsmith. I'll give Detox a closer listen.

As to heavy metal, I'm not a great fan, but I do like some. No music puts me off entirely, except elevator schlock and smooth.

Chris

The lead singer is Devin Townsend. He has done some solo stuff since SYL that is less intense and more artistic. Check out his album Epicloud. He just released it last year, and it was my favorite album of the year.

I've been listening these days to a lot of Blue Note (RVG edition) reissues that are very good, but these is my meal for today ;)

Yo+La+Tengo+-+Nuclear+War+-+12%u002522+RECORD%2FMAXI+SINGLE-413740.jpg

Yo la tengo - Nuclear War (2002)

Where long run indie rock heroes meet Sun Ra's free jazz. A joyful cover in 4 versions full of percussions, childish voices and more. Good!

f_lp_josephinefoster_08-300x300.jpg

Josephine Foster - This Coming Gladness (2008)

Another good record by this american singer/songwriter. Always elegant, this beautiful record sounds quite inmersive. Foster fills the air with her operistic voice, and the instrumentation is sparse but very enjoyable. Atemporal. Highly recommended, like almost all of her work. I believe that she is the best from that New Weird American Folk movement from last decade.

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Essential Audiotools Filtered Mains Multiplier/Sablon Audio Gran Corona

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

HP: Ipod Classic 160Gb>Centrance Hifi-M8>Audeze LCD-X/Audeze LCD-XC

Veedon Fleece - Van Morrison

Not one of his more popular albums, but beautiful, though frequently sad, music, and Van's voice and phrasing are superb.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8941[/ATTACH]

And a big +1 on the CJ "The Trinity Session" album ^ and ^^.

+1

Sad, it's true. An splendid record.

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Essential Audiotools Filtered Mains Multiplier/Sablon Audio Gran Corona

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

HP: Ipod Classic 160Gb>Centrance Hifi-M8>Audeze LCD-X/Audeze LCD-XC