Corelli: Sonatas op. 5 - Avison Ensemble (24/192).

Corelli: Concerti grossi, Op. 6

The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock

86adc060ada06b40a8bbd110.L._SY300_.jpg

An elegant performance. Bought it like 10 years ago when I was working downtown near a used CD store. That's also around the time I started buying up Suzuki Bach cantats CDs. Seems like such a long time ago...

In any case, this set still sounds great after all this time. Would be interesting to compare with the much newer Avison Ensemble version though.

Bach Cantatas by M. Suzuki and his team, Vol. 3. I am particularly fond of the aria of the BWV54 cantata, Wiederstehe doch der Sünde, though the advice itself is not so easy to follow.

41QNXVG96XL._SX300_.jpg

Power of the Organ Vol. 2, Mélanie Barney, a selection of transcription of classical "hits" for the organ (with some genuine organ pieces thrown in as well) in superb 192/24 PCM sound downloaded from ProStudioMasters. I particularly enjoyed the transcription of Elgar's "Nimrod" Enigma Variation. The album concludes with the super-well-known toccata of Widor's 5th symphony, which is always good fun.

511eE2FIOHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

All this was accompanied by

cognac-vsop-rare-hine.jpg

So in terms of "Wiederstehe der Sünde", there is still room for improvement.

He was great before he grated. Late For The Sky is one of my all-timers from anyone, and this album isn't far behind.

Agreed about the grating (I was so sorry that he went that cheesy route) and I feel the same as you about Late For The Sky. Having said that, I'm Alive is pretty good I think (no stinkin' politics). I just recently listened to it because of a recommendation (I'd given up on old Jackson). Also listened to a recent album with him and David Lindley (mostly) on which they redo some of both of their songs. Only heard it once, but there was something real nice about it.

Chris

Another warming album from Brazil (and Qobuz)

Cesar Camargo Mariano e Pedro Mariano "Piano & Voz"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8849[/ATTACH]

Roch

Thank you for the recommendation Roch, it can be difficult to get a line on the SA music up in the north...and there is so much of it, and it is so good :D

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Walton's Crown Imperial and other pieces in 24/96 from Reference Recordings. Even though I did not much appreciate the transformation of an excerpt from Wagner's Lohengrin into some sort of noisy background music, I enjoyed this disc very much -- especially the pieces by Tomasi, Hindemith and Daugherty.

folder.jpg

Sooooo good that I really really really wanted to go to bed and get a good nights sleep and I ended up listening to it twice! Excellent SACD!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8812[/ATTACH]

I just downloaded this & am listening now.

Probably the most melodic & diverse of anything I have ever heard from Freddie.

V nice SQ, too!

Thanks, Dan!

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Seems like Queen kind of night:

cover.jpg

cover.jpg

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine

Recorded live in 1964. Any one who questions Miles' sheer brilliance should listen to "Stella by Starlight"

with Herbie Hancock, George Coleman, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams (who was 18y/o at the time and sets a standard for jazz drumming that is almost impossible to match).

MilesDavisMyFunnyValentine.jpg

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

R-920068-1182193870.jpeg

24/96 vinyl rip

Dibango, born 1933, in Douala, Cameroon, was sent to France to complete his education in 1949, where he lived in Paris until 1956. A proficient saxophonist and classically trained pianist, he then moved to Brussels, Belgium where he played regularly at the Black Angels Club, developing his fusion of jazz and Cameroonian makossa music. In 1960, he joined the band led by the father of modern Zairean music, Joseph Kabasele, then toured Europe with African Jazz. Returning to Zaire with Kabasele, he stayed with African Jazz until 1963, when he returned to Cameroon and formed his own band.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Strapping Young Lad - City

This album was released in 1997, but I just discovered it this year. Each time I listen it just amazes me how good it is.

cover.jpg

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Manfredini: 12 concerti grossi op. 3 Les Amis de Philippe, Ludger Rémy

71YoNw2UCQL._SX300_.jpg

Manfredini is a contemporary of Vivaldi. This is a collection of Baroque concertos with many interesting twists and surprised. Enthusiastically played.

Telemann: Tafelmusik / Water Music Musica Antiqua Köln, Reinhardt Goebel

5100MZAWZQL._SY300_.jpg

A compilation disk with a number of famous and very catchy Telemann pieces include orchestral suite "Hamburg Ebb and Flow", Concerto in F major from Tafelmusik and Trumpet Concerto in D major. Again enthusiastically played.