Dirty Three

Horse Stories

Sparse, moody, playful and driving Australian alt from Warren Ellis (Birthday Party and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) and co.

horse-stories.jpg

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Dirty Three

Horse Stories

Sparse, moody, playful and driving Australian alt from Warren Ellis (Birthday Party and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) and co.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9126[/ATTACH]

Very good album, Ken. I love the way the combine some melancholic chords with other very epic and intense moments. This and Ocean Songs are outstanding. They appeal more to the heart than to the brain. Mesmerizing

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Essential Audiotools Filtered Mains Multiplier/Sablon Audio Gran Corona

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

HP: Ipod Classic 160Gb>Centrance Hifi-M8>Audeze LCD-X/Audeze LCD-XC

Very good album, Ken. I love the way the combine some melancholic chords with other very epic and intense moments. This and Ocean Songs are outstanding. They appeal more to the heart than to the brain. Mesmerizing

I listened to Ocean Songs today as well...that one may be pinned as my favorite of theirs.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Dirty Three

Horse Stories

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9126[/ATTACH]

Don't you love the cover art? It and the cover art of their other albums is by their guitarist Mick Turner. I think he's channelling Marc Chagall.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Another nice discovery from this forum:

Aaron Goldberg - Worlds. Well played piano trio jazz.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9136[/ATTACH]

Hi Musicophile, where can i download/buy this one?

-

Mac mini 2.3 Ghz i7 16gb Ram with Mojo Audio Joule III PSU(2T SSD) -> Audioquest Diamond USB -> dCS Vivaldi DAC (Shunyata Alpha Digital) -> Transparent XL Gen5 XLR -> Classé CA-M600 -> Audioquest OAK single biwire -> B&W 802D3. Software: Mac OSX El Captain, Audirvana 2.2, Amarra Symphony IRC, Roon. Storage: Lacie 5big Network 2 5T. Power Conditioner: Shunyata Triton + Typhon.

Don't you love the cover art? It and the cover art of their other albums is by their guitarist Mick Turner. I think he's channelling Marc Chagall.

I wondered what the connection was to the band, they are all wonderfully fitting. They are on a very short list of best live performances. Being in the home country and all, have been able to see them?

Girl Talk

Feed the Animals

A dizzy amount 80s/90s samples re-presented

Girl_Talk_Feed_The_Animals-front-large.jpg

I wondered what the connection was to the band, they are all wonderfully fitting. They are on a very short list of best live performances. Being in the home country and all, have been able to see them?

No, I haven't. They have been around for a long time and these days one lives in Paris, one in Melbourne and one in New York. They came together last year and did a national tour, to promote their new album, their first in seven years, but it was only one concert per city, all to sold-out houses.

Back on topic, inspired by the above, my personal favourite of theirs:

Dirty Three - Whatever You Love, We Are.

0503382670162_230.jpg

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Thanks! But i meant digital lossless download and i found on hdtracks. Good recommendation anyway.

-

Mac mini 2.3 Ghz i7 16gb Ram with Mojo Audio Joule III PSU(2T SSD) -> Audioquest Diamond USB -> dCS Vivaldi DAC (Shunyata Alpha Digital) -> Transparent XL Gen5 XLR -> Classé CA-M600 -> Audioquest OAK single biwire -> B&W 802D3. Software: Mac OSX El Captain, Audirvana 2.2, Amarra Symphony IRC, Roon. Storage: Lacie 5big Network 2 5T. Power Conditioner: Shunyata Triton + Typhon.

Girl Talk

Feed the Animals

A dizzy amount 80s/90s samples re-presented

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9137[/ATTACH]

About The Dirty Three Live, I remember Bill Callahan (Smog) saying that a DT concert was his best live experience ever.

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Essential Audiotools Filtered Mains Multiplier/Sablon Audio Gran Corona

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

HP: Ipod Classic 160Gb>Centrance Hifi-M8>Audeze LCD-X/Audeze LCD-XC

About The Dirty Three Live, I remember Bill Callahan (Smog) saying that a DT concert was his best live experience ever.

Last time they were here they played in a very old theater, like something you would find in Paris catacombs...much ambiance. My date cried through the entire performance mumbling about how beautiful it all was then more crying. The show really did grab you emotionally and take you on a ride.

His Name is Alive

Sweet Earth Flower

ht014.jpg

One of the best jazz recordings from Verve in the 90's, with a DR15. This album also marks the last appearance of Miles Davis as a side man. Toots Thielemans and Wynton Marsalis appears on the album as well. You can find it on Qobuz.

Shirley_Horn-You_Won_t_Forget_Me.jpg

-

Goldfrapp: Tales Of Us

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9163[/ATTACH]

I really liked Supernature and Black Cherry back in the days. This one is more melodic and dreamy.

It is available as 24/96 studio master, but with a DR of 9 on average I wonder whether there's any point.

This one was a pleasant surprise...I expected something from earlier days too, this is a little more relaxed and less processed. With a little patience and a sale you can find the hires and standard for about the same price. Bleep sells the hires at standard pricing of $12.99USD

Norma Winstone: Stories Yet To Tell (24/96)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9145[/ATTACH]

A beautiful vocal album, with Norma being followed only by Glauco Venier on piano and Klaus Gesing on Bass Clarinet and Soprano Sax.

Ideal for dark winter nights.

Sounds terrific on preview from Qobuz, but they want €20 for the 24/96 version. I might wait for it to appear on HDTracks.

- Einstein

Liszt: Années de pélerinage (Years of Pilgrimage) - Bertrand Chamayou

0822189019969_230.jpg

This beautiful collection of suites for solo piano by Franz Liszt is on sale for 3 days at Qobuz (€4.99, reduced from €17.99). This performance by Bertrand Chamayou has been much acclaimed and with good reason. Fantastic in every way. Very highly recommended.

- Einstein

Liszt: Années de pélerinage (Years of Pilgrimage) - Bertrand Chamayou

0822189019969_230.jpg

This beautiful collection of suites for solo piano by Franz Liszt is on sale for 3 days at Qobuz (€4.99, reduced from €17.99). This performance by Bertrand Chamayou has been much acclaimed and with good reason. Fantastic in every way. Very highly recommended.

I have this cd. It's really good and for this price...

-