• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

It might be. Not a big fan of Tchaikovsky 6th, so never happen to listen recording you mentioned even though I am pretty aware it was Petrenko's debut recording in a new position. Last time I was listening this piece was with Currentzis, but it is very difficult to compare with anything else because of massive post-production in studio.

Yes, that is only one reason to disqualify the Currentzis.  OTOH, there are many excellent recordings of this from the reference (if that's possible) Mavrinsky to the massive Honeck (in multichannel DSD256).  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
9 hours ago, EuroChamp said:

Everest, yes! I recommend you to search for the Beethoven Symphonies conducted by Josef Krips. And there is a Tossy Spivakovsky of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto 😀

Yes but his Sibelius is even better, imho.

Kal Rubinson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

A very lively, spontaneous version of Mozart's sonatas. A remarkable recording by the Turkish pianist!image.png.1207411fa7a69e5d715331201a433379.png

Fazil Say is phenomenal.  I heard him play Liszt some years back in NYC and now collect a lot of his recordings.  He's an interesting composer, as well.

Kal Rubinson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

Curious to hear why. I still prefer eg William Christie on some of these works but overall I liked the energy. 

Energy is what I thought was in short supply.  I prefer Robert King (The Coronation of King George II) or the one I imprinted on by David Willcocks and Thurston Dart on Argo.

Kal Rubinson

• 3 months later...
38 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Ok.. I feel I should explained myself - I broke the rules of this thread - I only checked out some fragments before posting this recommendation for the album (I hope the OP won't ban be from this thread..😉), seems I was a little overenthusiastic indeed..

I'm very glad there are really attentive and vigilant people here though!  😎

No problem.  I've often formed a strong opinion based on first or limited exposure, only to change my mind with continued listening.  I like Leonard Cohen (the man and the music) so I found this on Qobuz and gave it a try.  My wife and I became annoyed at the unvarying low energy of the songs, none of which were terrible or inappropriate but which, as a group, were simply repetitious.   Gets a pass from us.

Kal Rubinson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Sibelius' Second Symphony, Colin Davis with the London Symphony. This take is generally pleasant, and easy to listen to, though it lacks the immediate appeal of earlier version from Davis' Sibelius set with the Boston Symphony. 

Well, he got another do-over with the LSO in 2016, fwiw.

Kal Rubinson