2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I had the same reaction this morning, but perhaps in the opposite direction. I was thinking, damn this is terrible. 

I will give it a couple more listens :~)

Hah! No problem, this hits a sweet spot for me that not everyone has.

Edit: The sweet spot - Van Morrison, whose voice I love, singing rock 'n' roll from near the origins or shortly after, which I love as a genre, in kind of a Ray Charles style, which I'm a sucker for.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

8 hours ago, Jud said:

Edit: The sweet spot - Van Morrison, whose voice I love, singing rock 'n' roll from near the origins or shortly after, which I love as a genre, in kind of a Ray Charles style, which I'm a sucker for.

In addition to Van's voice the backing vocals are terrific - particularly on Sea Of Heartbreak. A lot to enjoy in this album if you like this style.

17 hours ago, Jud said:

Thanks for sharing! Must say I like it too. Reminds me of parties of days long gone (and the accompanying smell of stale beer and cigarette smoke).

Perhaps not one of his best records (Moondance, anyone?), but for me, it has a nice feelgood quality. 

Edit: he should have stayed away from the Johnny Kidd song.

56 minutes ago, WAM said:

Thanks for sharing! Must say I like it too. Reminds me of parties of days long gone (and the accompanying smell of stale beer and cigarette smoke).

Perhaps not one of his best records (Moondance, anyone?), but for me, it has a nice feelgood quality. 

Edit: he should have stayed away from the Johnny Kidd song.

We can't expect Moondance, since he's interpreting rather than writing his own here. (He hasn't come close to Moondance for decades, admittedly, even when he does write his own stuff.)

I like the Johnny Kidd, actually. For me no one can come close to Little Richard on a Little Richard tune, so although Van does a creditable job on Lucille his interpretation doesn't add anything.

How about the guy's voice for pushing 80? (Same thing I thought about Jagger on Hackney Diamonds.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

How about the guy's voice for pushing 80? (Same thing I thought about Jagger on Hackney Diamonds.)

Your comments take me back to a Buddy Guy concert we (mijn lief et moi) once attended. Buddy Guy is the same year my late father was. BG was dressed in a purple tiger stripe suit. Never saw my Dad in something like that.. It is not about age, or the dressing code... if the music is good, it's good. It was one of the best performances we ever attended. 

Funny, gave Hackney Diamonds a listen this evening, I like it. Good music has no age (I think...).