IGNORED

Article: Embracing Immersive Audio

I just thought of an example of what would be fascinating, in Atmos: what is like being a musician, sitting in the middle of an orchestra, playing some major symphonic work?  Having the perspective of that person, what he experiences, would be really nifty to hear - and would be well worth going to the effort to record and hear through playback.

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I just thought of an example of what would be fascinating, in Atmos: what is like being a musician, sitting in the middle of an orchestra, playing some major symphonic work?  Having the perspective of that person, what he experiences, would be really nifty to hear - and would be well worth going to the effort to record and hear through playback.

This would be really neat. Or the ability for the mix to move based on wherever a person selected. First chair violin vs percussion vs conductor vs 10 rows back in the middle. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 hours ago, Groot Geluid said:

One of the main aspects of sound qualitiy, namely tonal accuracy, is vastly improved by surround set  ups with more than 2 loudspeakers, if the recorded material is made with the playback situation in mind.

We know timing issues are important for tonal accuracy so curious as to the reasoning or documentation for "tonal accuracy is vastly improved by surround setups" ?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Just for information, this is what Frank is referring to:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/nuw28m/psa_ios_15_supports_a_new_feature_called/

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

6 hours ago, Confused said:

Just for information, this is what Frank is referring to:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/nuw28m/psa_ios_15_supports_a_new_feature_called/

Ah, thank you for that. That’s quite a longitudinal study, I can see why Frank is using it as a major data point, NOT 😳

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Nicely caught, Confused. Which got me another thread, just now,

And that continues the theme ... :). I come, currently, from the angle of this chap,

I like atmos for movies, but I LOVE two-channel for music. Set up properly you can nearly achieve a 3D effect. To me, music sounds coming from all angles could be a fun novelty, but I doubt it will ever replace stereo, for me at least.

Except, the 3D effect is not a "nearly" - when this standard of reproduction switches on, fully, any interest in something more Wow! evaporates ...

I'm happy to be next to the stage where the musicians are performing; actually going onto the stage, being in the middle of them, would be interesting - but I don't see it as being life changing.

11 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Nicely caught, Confused. Which got me another thread, just now,

And that continues the theme ... :). I come, currently, from the angle of this chap,

Except, the 3D effect is not a "nearly" - when this standard of reproduction switches on, fully, any interest in something more Wow! evaporates ...

I'm happy to be next to the stage where the musicians are performing; actually going onto the stage, being in the middle of them, would be interesting - but I don't see it as being life changing.

So many opinions from people with so little experience and knowledge in the area. 

As I mentioned a while ago to Confused, this track would be a "go to" for me, to check whether a rig was up to it - I referred to it often, when first getting good replay,

Most stereo setups turn this into a congealed mess, when everything climbs on board - if an Atmos setup can render this super clean, at solid, elevated volumes, then I would give it a big thumbs up ... :)

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This person has obviously not been lucky enough to sit on a stage 10 feet from a Van Cliburn winner, twice. Maybe not life changing, but "interesting" doesn't cover it at all.

Edit: Note the quote function makes it seem like Chris said this, but in fact he was quoting someone else.

IMG_0671.jpeg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

32 minutes ago, Jud said:

This person has obviously not been lucky enough to sit on a stage 10 feet from a Van Cliburn winner, twice. Maybe not life changing, but "interesting" doesn't cover it at all.

Well, I have "been lucky enough" to sit a couple of feet away from a classical guitar player with a major catalogue of recordings to his name, as he effortlessly "fooled around" with his instrument while conversing with people sitting with him ... yes, special stuff - but most music is when performed by someone "practiced in the art" ... or reproduced well, ^_^.

I keep my eye out for a single, yes, single, video on YouTube that captures what it sounds like in a room that has good quality Atmos playback running - yes, plenty of Whiz Bang stuff, but nothing that one would want live with for more than 10 minutes.

You know how people can capture some live music happening somewhere, on a very amateurish mobile clip, and one thing that shines through it the quality of 'realness' of what is going on? Well, if Atmos done well is up to it, then at least something of that same quality should be evident in a rough and ready capture of what it "sounds like" - otherwise, I don't see the point. So far, I haven't chanced on a video done to demonstrate this - so, if someone could point me to one, I would appreciate it ...

19 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I'm not judging a system whether I can discern 12 channels of sound. What I would be judging is whether the integrity of the playback chains used for those channels are good enough, so that if I listen with just one ear - or alternatively with the microphone of some recording device - at some, random position, then the SQ has no major defects or obvious problems. If the replay has distinct issues, sufficient to be obvious on a video clip, then all the Wowness! of other aspects won't count for a can of beans, in the long term.

Interestingly, I was just down in the big shopping area of my area for the first time in a good while ... was that one 'serious' audio concern still going? Nope - had died. How about the mega size retailer of everything, especially electronics, who had a decent room set aside for the "good stuff", last time - well, that space was no more, swamped by a sea of mega size screens that stretched into the distance, with colours pumping at maximum heat ... it's visual, maaan ... that's where the action is!

Not inspiring, not one little bit ... whether Atmos can reach to be taken seriously is very much a question mark, in my neck of the woods.

I don’t take the results of your longitudinal study seriously. 

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

Your stance is, unfortunately, why I will keep pushing my agenda - a key thing you said,

The issue with standard 2-channel stereo is that it's simply not natural.

That demonstrates that you have never heard a 2 channel system projecting a convincing illusion, or if you have, you thought it was a gimmick, a fluke, or a by-product of some type of distortion, e.g. "tube warmness". It's none of those, but simply a natural consequence of the playback having low enough levels of certain types of distortion or anomalies - the fact that the latter is not plug and play keeps that standard of presentation at bay for most participants; which is not a reason to try and force the concept of it being possible to "just go away!!"

Why I want to hear a clip of decent Atmos playback happening is to check whether the technology is at least good enough to "sound right" - every instance of surround sound I've come across in the flesh, and the ones that are captured in clips all do the set to 11! thing - equivalent to the rows and rows of monster TV sets all throbbing with Super! colour, with excess paint running down down the fronts of the glass, I saw a day or so ago ... great for a thrill ride - but do I want to live with it ... :)?

Natural means, natural. Reality should just be reality ... not "High Reality".

11 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Your stance is, unfortunately, why I will keep pushing my agenda - a key thing you said,

That demonstrates that you have never heard a 2 channel system projecting a convincing illusion, or if you have, you thought it was a gimmick, a fluke, or a by-product of some type of distortion, e.g. "tube warmness". It's none of those, but simply a natural consequence of the playback having low enough levels of certain types of distortion or anomalies - the fact that the latter is not plug and play keeps that standard of presentation at bay for most participants; which is not a reason to try and force the concept of it being possible to "just go away!!"

Why I want to hear a clip of decent Atmos playback happening is to check whether the technology is at least good enough to "sound right" - every instance of surround sound I've come across in the flesh, and the ones that are captured in clips all do the set to 11! thing - equivalent to the rows and rows of monster TV sets all throbbing with Super! colour, with excess paint running down down the fronts of the glass, I saw a day or so ago ... great for a thrill ride - but do I want to live with it ... :)?

Natural means, natural. Reality should just be reality ... not "High Reality".

You’re still on that magical mystery tour.