IGNORED

Article: Embracing Immersive Audio

• 1 month later...

Ah yes, preaching Atmos abstinence is a sure fire way to… checking notes … prove one is an out of touch celibate preacher who is an Atmos virgin. 

@Jim Austin admits to never listening to that which he excoriates. Rather than teach people how to get the best out of what’s available, he wishes for its demise and appeals to authority. 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dolby-atmos-bleak-shadow

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ah yes, preaching Atmos abstinence is a sure fire way to… checking notes … prove one is an out of touch celibate preacher who is an Atmos virgin. 

@Jim Austin admits to never listening to that which he excoriates. Rather than teach people how to get the best out of what’s available, he wishes for its demise and appeals to authority. 

To me, it is no different than them extolling MQA - they have their religious audio ideals they need to support.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

46 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

How many swings and misses can a publication make.

They lost me a long time ago - so only once.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Let's see...they embraced, pushed for, and lied about MQA, in spite of the fact that it clearly offerred little, if anything, to the audiophile. Yet they denigrate ATMOS - which clearly offers much to the listener.

Which is the audience that Mr. Austin serves?
All registered and unregistered members of the American Audiophile Society and their relatives, direct and distant bloodlines ?
Or may he focus on the best interest of the industry that funds his paycheck and which has his income already included as sunk cost of advertising in their product pricing?

21 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

See my recent reply to the his sad rant there.  Let's see if it survives.

"Sal1950
Submitted by Sal1950 on January 19, 2024 - 5:57am

Why the constant negativity towards Atmos or anything multich for that matter? Rather than promote the SOTA in immersive audio and then encourage a change to a lossless stream, all you can do is continue to berate. Lossless Atmos files are huge and very demanding of bandwidth but it could be done if the market demands. It took us decades of asking for the lossless streaming of 2ch before it became a reality. Stereophile has had it's head on backwards towards surround sound ever since J. Gordon Holt left over the issue and the loss of Kal's Rubinson's "In The Round" put the final nail in it's coffin at this magazine. While over at The Absolute Sound multich coverage continues and expands with things like Robert Harley's October 2023, 8 page article on the building of the new HT/Music room in his home.
Mr Austin, your short sighted vision of High Fidelity's SOTA is slowly leading this magazine into the stone age and to it's demise. I highly suggest you step down and turn the reins over to someone with a wider view of High Performance Audio.
Sal1950"

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.