IGNORED

Gustard R26 new R2R DAC

On 9/24/2022 at 5:38 PM, botrytis said:

Last USB drivers for all the Gustard DACs.

gustard_usbaudio_v5-50-0_setup.exe 3.06 MB · 4 downloads

coincidence ?
same driver of Denafrips released a few days ago ......🙄

V5.50.0

Schermata 2022-09-25 alle 18.51.01.png

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

That just means they don't recompile them and using the same USB chip is all.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 9/24/2022 at 10:08 AM, davide256 said:

The R26 grows more enticing. Must resist... at least until after I've gone to CAF this year 🙂

Being able to bypass USB or external DDC via UPNP or HQPe to NAA  streaming could be very nice as long as the CPU for the endpoint board

isn't under equipped for the job. What I fear is that the network section will be like other endpoint devices I've used {Oppo 103, microRendu, Atom PC} where

the sound is very clean but treble and transients lose resolution compared to USB out from the server.

NAA is now working with HQP after 1.3

Headgear: Audeze LCD-5 w/Accurate Sound Convolution Filter, Norne Drausk v2 Lite/Silver Gladiator Cable and interconnects

Source: Intel 14900K/3090, HQ Player DSD1024 separated from Puritan 156, Audioquest Carbon USB, Holo Audio Red, Holo Audio May KTE

Amp: Holo Audio Bliss KTE

Sold: Drop HD 6XX, Hypex NC400 Dual Monoblocks, Schiit Freya S, Gustard R26, Audeze LCD-i4, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, DCA Expanse, Gustard U18, B&O Beoplay EX, Gustard X26 Pro, Headamp GS-X Mini, ifi Pro iCan Signature, Fiio M15, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen.)

TY for the information.

There is supposed to be an android app too, for control or something like that. I haven't seen anything yet.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

So, the 1.3 update and the 5.5 USB drivers are working well.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 3:28 AM, davide256 said:

Do let us know how it compares to your Hugo 2. 🙂

I've been mainly comparing it to the Audio-gd R-27HE. It's a very "clean" sounding DAC. The network input seems to be the go for best sound if not using i2s.  I wish it had the NAA daemon installed -- maybe I can hack it in? It's definitely a good candidate for HQPlayer PCM up-sampling.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:39 PM, Currawong said:

I've been mainly comparing it to the Audio-gd R-27HE. It's a very "clean" sounding DAC. The network input seems to be the go for best sound if not using i2s.  I wish it had the NAA daemon installed -- maybe I can hack it in? It's definitely a good candidate for HQPlayer PCM up-sampling.

how engaging is it with HQP for mid range timbre and intonation? Used to think HQP was something that improved technical detail at the expense of mid range bleaching, which is what happened with Chord Mojo and Metrum Octave. But using HQP with a Cayin RU6 has been a different experience, timbre and intonation are preserved or improved. 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Just ordered one via Amazon to take advantage of the $250 off Black Friday price.

Anyone else?

Greg in Mississippi 

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

On 11/12/2022 at 12:39 PM, Currawong said:

I have the R26, shipped late Sep with firmware that included the NAA. So expect a firmware update should give you NAA Functionality - just make sure you update both firmwares including the renderer. I find streaming Roon/HQP direct to the internal NAA is audibly superior to Ifi Zen Stream/U18 via I2S. LHY OCK-1 external clock slaving U18 & R26. And this at same upsampling level - the Ifi maxes out at PCM384khz & DSD256. HQP PCM768 via the R26 NAA sounds fabulous. 

On 11/19/2022 at 3:48 AM, davide256 said:

how engaging is it with HQP for mid range timbre and intonation? Used to think HQP was something that improved technical detail at the expense of mid range bleaching, which is what happened with Chord Mojo and Metrum Octave. But using HQP with a Cayin RU6 has been a different experience, timbre and intonation are preserved or improved. 

Very good with PCM768 and heavier HQP filters like poly-sinc-ext2. 

I am pretty new to HQP so still experimenting, but slightly prefer PCM768’s more full bodied and palpable midrange/vocals to DSD512’s slightly more resolving but lighter presentation. It’s close though. OCK-1 enhances all aspects of the R26’s sound, including weight and definition of bass, midrange texture, soundstaging breadth, depth and precision. A terrific pairing IME. 

On 11/19/2022 at 4:01 AM, 57gold said:

Does this DAC have a quality variable output?

It does, but purely digital I believe. And it doesn’t appear to have a sophisticated near-lossless volume control with bits to spare like HQP as I’m pretty sure I detect a dynamic range drop-off much past -3db down so try to use its fixed/line level output as much as possible.  More to the point selecting PCM NOS On and/or DSD direct forces fixed level output.

• 2 weeks later...