IGNORED

Gustard R26 new R2R DAC

Well, the 1.42 update broke mine. The USB input doesn't work, but the Optical/coax do. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

13 hours ago, botrytis said:

Well, the 1.42 update broke mine. The USB input doesn't work, but the Optical/coax do. 

Working with JRiver just not with Volumio and other Linux kernels.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

28 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Any chance its a linux Alsa volume issue where the update caused linux to default to 40% volume as it does wth SRC-DX 

There was no recognition of the DAC. In Daphile - it would start a song go 5-10 seconds forward and loop endlessly (there is a default dac in Daphile). Volumio didn't detect it.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

12 hours ago, Currawong said:

I recall it having an analog control down to -30 dB then digital below that. I’m going from memory though. 

Bit perfect playback prevents the volume control from being used on an R-26, whether it be FALC or DSD files.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

14 hours ago, botrytis said:

Bit perfect playback prevents the volume control from being used on an R-26, whether it be FALC or DSD files.

I found what it was I was thinking of -- the -30dB attenuator setting, about which the manual states: 

When there is no independent pre-amp, the DAC is directly connected to high gain amplifier or high-gain active speakers, so it is very likely that a large digital volume attenuation (for example, -40dB) will be used to listen to music at a proper volume, which will bring big impact to the sound quality. This function is designed for this kind of application. When this feature is on, a very good analog attenuator provides a gain of - 30dB. For a global gain of -40 dB, only -10 dB digital attenuation is required when using this function. That provides a much better DNR performance.

So my mistake there.

• 1 month later...

The network streamer part of the R26 is nice but a slight edge to its sound compared to streaming to the Oppo as endpoint into R26 coax.

I tried using it for up-sampled speeds, the UPNP option has buffering pauses at 7xx speeds, using built in HQP NAA gets rid of that but still has

similar edginess to UPNP use. Waiting now for an Innuos Pulse to arrive, hopefully able to enjoy using USB to DAC again once it arrives.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

The network streamer part of the R26 is nice but a slight edge to its sound compared to streaming to the Oppo as endpoint into R26 coax.

I tried using it for up-sampled speeds, the UPNP option has buffering pauses at 7xx speeds, using built in HQP NAA gets rid of that but still has

similar edginess to UPNP use. Waiting now for an Innuos Pulse to arrive, hopefully able to enjoy using USB to DAC again once it arrives.

I have tried upsampling on mine with no issues you are having. I did notice that both Volumio and Daphile have issues with upgrade 1.42, not detecting the DAC. It is the USB built in to Linux that seems to be the issue.

I use mine direct from a Win 11 client using JRiver 31, no issues.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

3 hours ago, botrytis said:

I have tried upsampling on mine with no issues you are having. I did notice that both Volumio and Daphile have issues with upgrade 1.42, not detecting the DAC. It is the USB built in to Linux that seems to be the issue.

I use mine direct from a Win 11 client using JRiver 31, no issues.

Could be because Audirvana was unpacking 7xx wav pack and forwarding over wifi. I'll have to try again with an uncompressed wav file, as that I believe would keep

the file local vs needing to transit Audirvana server for wav pack conversion. Symptoms were that first track played ok but later tracks would have at least one pause during play

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I have it in my office system. It is not the most resolving system, but it does sound amazing fed USB from a JRiver client. I tried coax from my Pioneer Elite DVD/SACD player - meh. Sounds lifeless. Will try optical soon.

I have the same DVD/SACD player in my main system, hooked via optical to my Hegel H190. Sounds great.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Anyone have an opinion on good source device choices using the Bluetooth function for the R26?

The convenience factor of Bluetooth/Mconnect using Qobuz/ iPhone is fun, wondering what a logical device step up would be to get better Bluetooth codecs,

iPhone is pretty limiting.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

8 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Anyone have an opinion on good source device choices using the Bluetooth function for the R26?

The convenience factor of Bluetooth/Mconnect using Qobuz/ iPhone is fun, wondering what a logical device step up would be to get better Bluetooth codecs,

iPhone is pretty limiting.

None of the bluetooth codecs really output anything more than CD quality and that is hard to do since the codec has so much overhead on it.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

9 hours ago, botrytis said:

None of the bluetooth codecs really output anything more than CD quality and that is hard to do since the codec has so much overhead on it.

iPhones only support lossy codecs, SBC, AAC. One can do a lot better with LDAC and AptX, still CD rate but not lossy

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

6 minutes ago, davide256 said:

iPhones only support lossy codecs, SBC, AAC. One can do a lot better with LDAC and AptX, still CD rate but not lossy

I have aptx, etc. It is still less than CD quality. Anything less than CD quality is still lossy.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

4 hours ago, botrytis said:

I have aptx, etc. It is still less than CD quality. Anything less than CD quality is still lossy.

I've experienced LDAC as better quality compared to the AptX codec (and almost acceptable), however the BT 5.4 version saw the arrival of AptX Lossless quite recently.

Obviously it's limited to the most recent devices ...

https://ifi-audio.com/aptx-lossless-bluetooth-is-finally-here-ifi-neo-idsd-2/

7 hours ago, DuckToller said:

I've experienced LDAC as better quality compared to the AptX codec (and almost acceptable), however the BT 5.4 version saw the arrival of AptX Lossless quite recently.

Obviously it's limited to the most recent devices ...

https://ifi-audio.com/aptx-lossless-bluetooth-is-finally-here-ifi-neo-idsd-2/

That is the issue - both ends need to be the new codecs or it will default to older ones.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I didn't like COAX into my R-26, I haven't tried if it is the same with optical. I am using USB. I am currently using Win 11 and Jriver31 with ASIO Gustard drivers.

After trying Volumio and Daphile, neither seemed to recognize v1.42 of the R-26.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

24 minutes ago, davide256 said:

A Lush 2 doesn't seem to be right for USB into R26, coax from same Pulse sounds better. Anyone have suggestions on what works better for USB cable with R26?

Quite generally ... adding galvanic isolation?
I don't have experience with R26 but what I am using (HS02 > 2x iSilencer+) is clearly a medicine to 'treble glare'. And much more. Blacker background, fuller instrument colors, better pronounced subtle details. It costs together about $200.
Intona could bring the same effect, but I didn't compare.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500