IGNORED

Article: The Immersive Audiophile Update 5

9 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

Now that’s my kind of tax write off!  Are the finishes under the wraps in the orange/red to match your big Wilsons?  JCR 

I ordered the Alidas in Ivory with Parchment grills, so they would blend into the walls a bit better than the Sur Sang Rouge :~)

1 minute ago, retro said:

Only one sub then? Beginners mistake. Order three more..😇

Everyone starts somewhere :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I find it interesting that Wilson has elected to use wooden crates for shipping. Is that how your big Wilsons were packed as well?  My Revels came in flight cases. I didn’t hire Manny’s to move them (although Manny’s has moved my grand piano!), but it took three of us to move those flight cases to the lower level in our home.  Those Wilson Alidas in the ivory should look nice on your walls. Darn heavy for a wall speaker!

And if you want my help on the setup, let me know and I will take the 20 minute drive up to your residence. JCR 

F505A5E2-77DD-4BD2-B6FA-CE399B619F0D.jpeg

@The Computer Audiophile A walk through video when its all done would be greatly appreciated.  Make it dramatic like opening up the door to your attic and walking up to your awe inspiring oasis 😉

I don't think reviewers do enough justice with photos of their actual space with the product they're reviewing. Stock photos only go so far.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

The best way I have seen this done is with a raised floor and route the cables in that space. I know that this could not be done in your space.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

I wonder if there will be a version of ELP Brain Salad Surgery in ATMOS. I mean the original master was recorded in Discrete QUAD, so getting an ATMOS version might be easy from that, not sure. The other LP that I remember was recorded in QUAD was Queen's - Night at the Opera. Another LP worthy of mentioning.

I have those two LP's on DSD, vinyl and, DVDA. The ELP Vinyl was part of my first vinyl buying trip. That and Jethro Tull - War Child. Who knew I could just throw caution to the wind. 🤣 The 2nd trip I bought A Night at the Opera.

All I can say is now, thinking about it all....

Im Not Worthy GIFs | Tenor

Joking aside, it will be interesting to read what you think about it. I have a friend who has a phobia about surround sound and music. He thinks music is stereo only. I think it can be so much more. I HAVE enough speakers on hand 😇 and can do it in one brand also. I just need the processor/amp is all, I still have my 43" Pioneer Plasma screen (See I am a pack rat).

This is fun to read about.

Top 20 Newman GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Brain Salad Surgery and Queen Night At The Opera are both already available in 5.1 surround.  A good number of the existing 5.1 mixes are the ones showing up as new Atmos mixes, such as The Doors albums, which just showed up this week on Apple Music spacial audio. JCR 

39 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

Brain Salad Surgery and Queen Night At The Opera are both already available in 5.1 surround.  A good number of the existing 5.1 mixes are the ones showing up as new Atmos mixes, such as The Doors albums, which just showed up this week on Apple Music spacial audio. JCR 

My superficial survey of previously released 5.1 recordings, especially those that were not even 5.1 originally, is that they sound inferior in Atmos.  Yeah, there are more "effects" but they are not improvements.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

That's going to be some set-up. Though I guess when receiving such light speakers as the Alexas they don't need really good packing.:D

My speakers came in similar wooden crates, but each crate can stand upright and has inbuilt castors and handles for movement. When opening the FRONT of the crates the speakers on a separate shipping dolly just roll out into the room.9_9

You are going to thoroughly enjoy multichannel.  I have ~550 albums in surround now and listen quite a bit to discrete 5.1 with an ITU layout embedded in my 9.1.6 theater setup.  I prefer to mostly listen without upmixers.  If you don't have Fagen's Nighfly in DSD 5.1 yet, get it ASAP.  It's a must-have and a perfect example of top-quality production in a restrained, but truly impressive multichannel mix. My buddy Kevin couldn't stop talking about it the next day after we listened.  

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

On 5/9/2022 at 6:01 PM, scintilla said:

If you don't have Fagen's Nighfly in DSD 5.1 yet, get it ASAP.  It's a must-have and a perfect example of top-quality production in a restrained, but truly impressive multichannel mix.

OK got it....    with ~ 550  do you have a few more must-haves for those of us just starting out ?

thanks

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

Both Wish You Were Here and DSOTM are must haves.  If you like Gilmour, Rattle That Lock is a superb album on BD. Kind of Blue of course.  Thrak, by King Crimson is most impressive. Brothers in Arms. Gaucho. There are three Groove Armada SACDs that are superb. There are starting to be more 5.1 FLACs available.  I suspect that HD tracks will soon be adding more to their surround downloads, which are currently mostly classical releases.  It's a great time to be diving in...

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

well this is getting a bit complicated. I don't want to turn this into a software discussion, but for instance, I see Brothers in Arms was released as both a hybrid CD/SACD with multichannel and a DVD-A multichannel. The SACD on Discogs is around $20 while the DVD-A is $50+.. how can you find out if they are the same mix and if not, which is better... Are there any good websites that discuss the different versions of albums released in various formats?

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768