IGNORED

Pink Floyd catalog in hi-res

Huge? I'm pretty sure some of them were available before in various forms of hi-res previously. I own some.

HDT and others market this way: album comes out in hi-res and they sell all the copies they contracted for. Time goes by and they get a contract for a new batch or a different hi-res remaster. They "announce" that the albums have arrived in hi-res. 

Note their announcement didn't say this was a first for all the albums.

If it was, they would have trumpeted it. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Indee, these are the first hi-rez releases of most albums.

According to the information posted on the Steve Hoffman forum, these are the transfers made for the 2011 reissue campaign, now available in hi-rez for the first time (except a few albums released on Blu-ray in the Immersion box sets).

The dynamic range is 1dB higher for some of the albums, compared to the 2011 CDs.

It's strange that these releases came out with no previous announcement, when fans have been asking for years to get hi-rez versions, especially of Animals and the Wall.

Claude

I knew Animals was coming as Roger and David finally stopped arguing over Liner Notes (Roger lost).  The rest is a surprise.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Has anyone yet listened to the 24/192 Animals?  I have always been dissappointed by the various available versions of this album as the sound quality could stand some serious improvement.  I remember reading an interview with James Guthrie where he expressed his desire to do a really good re-mastering job on Animals, and have been patiently waiting (for years now...) for the SACD version to be released when the "problems" between Waters/Gilmour were sorted out.  Perhaps this means the SACD can finally be released as well.  To my ears, the SACD of WYWH is the definitive version of that album.  I know the work on the Animals SACD has been completed for quite sometime now.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

11 hours ago, new_media said:

Now in HDtracks, Qobuz, Apple Music, Amazon HD, etc.

No announcement, just showed up with no fanfare.

My Qobuz account doesn’t show these 😞

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

3 hours ago, beetlemania said:

Look again. My account is showing them now.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

4 hours ago, beetlemania said:

Could be limited by country? It's visible on Qobuz USA, I can confirm.

However, is anyone seeing them on Qobuz via Roon yet? For some reason, I'm not. I wonder if Roon's deeper integration with Qobuz means that Qobuz updates get pushed to Roon in batches? And yes, I'm aware of, and have already done the "Last Library Sync" in Roon > Settings > Services > Qobuz Edit.

13 minutes ago, austinpop said:

However, is anyone seeing them on Qobuz via Roon yet? For some reason, I'm not. I wonder if Roon's deeper integration with Qobuz means that Qobuz updates get pushed to Roon in batches? And yes, I'm aware of, and have already done the "Last Library Sync" in Roon > Settings > Services > Qobuz Edit.

Hmm, yes, perhaps the issue is more with Roon than Qobuz? Last week, the HDTracks announcement for “Let it Be” preceded Qobuz availability via Roon by a day or two. Guess I need to be patient.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

10 hours ago, austinpop said:

I see hi-rez albums in Qobuz UK.

10 hours ago, beetlemania said:

Hmm, yes, perhaps the issue is more with Roon than Qobuz? Last week, the HDTracks announcement for “Let it Be” preceded Qobuz availability via Roon by a day or two. Guess I need to be patient.

New albums show up in the Qobuz app before they show up in Roon/Qobuz. It takes between a few hours to a couple of days for  Roon to download the new Qobuz database, depending on the timing of it showing up in Qobuz.

19 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I see hi-rez albums in Qobuz UK.

Roon updates Tidal and Qobuz databases often, but not continuously. So Roon will always be a bit behind displaying newest releases. Best to check first directly at streaming provider.

BTW, I bought "Meddle" in 24/96. Sounds good. Doesn't seem to be volume pressed compared to earlier releases, which is a relief.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Roon updates Tidal and Qobuz databases often, but not continuously. So Roon will always be a bit behind displaying newest releases. Best to check first directly at streaming provider.

Forgot to mention, I see PF' hi rez albums in both Qobuz app and Naim app, since yesterday. However, PF albums are not visible in new releases tab in both instances....

So what does the description say in Qobuz , 2019 remix or new remix and is it under Roger Waters or Pink Floyd? Sofar i have not found it in Qobuz, Netherlands/Europe yet.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

52 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

1213174587_ScreenShot2021-10-20at13_09_44.png.5c2d5c40bfb979cd00e584cc8a781c89.png

oh okay I saw that one 👍 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

This is a pleasant surprise! 
I love all these albums and I do have several of them in SACD which I ripped to DSD and a few more that have been ripped from vinyl in either DSD128 or 24/96. 
I’m excited to give all of them a “spin” via Qobuz and see how they compare to some of my other versions. 

For many of us, new remastered and high-res versions of the classic Pink Floyd albums have been on the wish list. 
Finally it has become a reality, though perhaps not as many would have wished, as new and even better than the 2011 remastered versions.
Anyway, I downloaded all the new high-res albums from "A Saucerful of Secrets" to "A Momentary Lapse of Reasons" with the exception of the Pink Floyd live albums and samplers from Qobuz.
Having cross-listened to all albums in the meantime, my first impression is that it's worth listening to the "old" albums up to "Meddle" in High-Res above all. There is for me really an improvement in the sound impression to hear.
From "DSOTM" to "The Wall" the audible differences are unfortunately marginal in my first perception. On "DSOTM" there is even a bug in Qobuz's version in the gapless transition between "Money" and "Us and Them".
"A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" is a new remix and certainly an interesting alternative to the old master, though I'm not sure yet which version I like better.

I have been enjoying The Wall in hires from Qobuz. 
However, I have not yet conducted any A / B comparisons. 
I have the DSOTM SACD ripped in DSD and I have the original 1982 CD version of The Wall ripped with De-Emphasis added during the rip process and I also have the original UK Harvest Vinyl pressing ripped well in DSD 128. 
They both sound incredible. 
I think overall, it’s difficult to find a “bad” version of most of these recordings. 
I also own the immersion box set and all of the more recent large box sets with BluRay and hi-res versions, etc. 
What can I say, I love my Pink Floyd :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the streamed hi res version of The Wall a try recently just for kicks. This is one album I've been wanting in a good hi res version for a long time. I also own an old original version of the album as well as the 2011 remaster.

I wasnt really expecting to be blown away by the "Streamed" version of this album given my current/past experiences comparing Streamed vs Local copies of any album. In this case, with the streamed hi res version of The Wall, I was once again unimpressed compared to my Redbook local versions of the album.

But I've not given up on it yet as I will be buying the hi res version and downloading it anyway to give it fair playing field for comparison purposes. Will see if it can hold its own compared to the good RB copies I have (I of course hope it turns out to be better).

I'll plan on not doing the DR compression comparison until after I've heard it a few times.

14 minutes ago, cjf said:

I gave the streamed hi res version of The Wall a try recently just for kicks. This is one album I've been wanting in a good hi res version for a long time. I also own an old original version of the album as well as the 2011 remaster.

I wasnt really expecting to be blown away by the "Streamed" version of this album given my current/past experiences comparing Streamed vs Local copies of any album. In this case, with the streamed hi res version of The Wall, I was once again unimpressed compared to my Redbook local versions of the album.

But I've not given up on it yet as I will be buying the hi res version and downloading it anyway to give it fair playing field for comparison purposes. Will see if it can hold its own compared to the good RB copies I have (I of course hope it turns out to be better).

I'll plan on not doing the DR compression comparison until after I've heard it a few times.

I’ve been told (in the past) that the original Redbook versions (from the early 80’s with preemphasis that must have a deemphasis process applied when ripping it) are the best versions (highest DR value also).

Additionally, the original UK Harvest Vinyl version is supposed to be very good too (I have both of these versions ripped in FLAC). 
I have been enjoying the Qobuz streaming version since it was released and have not yet had time to do an A/B comparison,

I look forward to hearing about your own A/B comparison!