IGNORED

Audiowise Opto-USB, SRC-DX and early experiments with the Chord Qutest before moving to TT2

8 hours ago, edwardsean said:

It seems like Audiowise and PGGB are partnering together in some ways, and I just think that's fantastic.

I'd say SRC.DX opens the doors to all software based solutions. HQPlayer certainly benefits from it as well. 

I like the fact I have ability to upgrade the software as@Miska keeps improving and adding to HQPlayer all the time. It feels like the whole system advances advances over time and doesn't stand still. I don't need to change/sell the hardware each time to gain these improvements.

PGGB adds to this in the sense I've used it for my favourite albums but as I listen to mainly streaming material, I'd say HQP is 90-95% of my listening.

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that that there's always more to extract from your current setup....More rabbit holes than Watership down.. the director cut....

This one isn't...👍 a shame but this should come as standard for Chord's..

I've chased this EMI shielding into my LPS1.0s and into my HPA now. Like a crazy mixture of tomorrow's world and Blue Peter (sorry more Old brit pop culture)

But bugger me its worked wonders..

But it was the CHORD DAC shielding that did the most profound change...

Keep smiling gents

Dave🙂

9 hours ago, Middy said:

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that that there's always more to extract from your current setup....More rabbit holes than Watership down.. the director cut....

This one isn't...👍 a shame but this should come as standard for Chord's..

I've chased this EMI shielding into my LPS1.0s and into my HPA now. Like a crazy mixture of tomorrow's world and Blue Peter (sorry more Old brit pop culture)

But bugger me its worked wonders..

But it was the CHORD DAC shielding that did the most profound change...

Keep smiling gents

Dave🙂

😂😂😂More rabbit holes than Watership down

@Gavin1977  ....would you say from your experience that the SQ improvement from using the SRC-DX is more significant than upgrading the power supply from stock to LPS?  (cost is roughly the same).  And does the uplift in quality depend on using HQ Player to upsample? In my case, I use an OpticalRendu that's limited to Roon - so HQP is not an option.

Aside from from that....I'm wondering how the SRC-DX would compare with the similar cost Denafrips Iris DDC, converting USB into Toslink? 

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

49 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I use an OpticalRendu that's limited to Roon - so HQP is not an option.

Hi. I use an OpticalRendu as an NAA with HQP embedded.

You probably meant that your Server can’t host HQP for some reason, but if it can, it’s a worthwhile investment IMHO. The developer releases regular updates, so it’s not standing still either. 

Adding a JS-2 to the oR was a very nice uplift. Adding the JS-2 to the TT2 was nice but more subtle. Tweaking the presentation. Adding the SRC-DX I think resulted in the biggest change… for me anyway. 

I’d imagine the USB cable is going to influence the outcome as well as BNC cables. More so the USB though. I have to say I think the SRC-DX is one of the best value for money upgrades, especially with dual BNC Chord DACs.

1 hour ago, NoNaim said:

I’d imagine the USB cable is going to influence the outcome as well as BNC cables. More so the USB though. I have to say I think the SRC-DX is one of the best value for money upgrades, especially with dual BNC Chord DACs.

Both USB and BNC cables make a large difference. It’s hard to estimate which makes the bigger difference, but both are worth the investment. I’m using a Sablon 2020 for the USB. However, if your configuration physically allows for you to use Uptone’s USPCB, it is a cheap way to get a very clean, high quality connection. That way you could concentrate on the BNC cables until you’re ready to upgrade the USB. 

The SRC-DX does represent a great value against other DDCs. If you need multiple I/Os then, of course, its not the solution for you. However, if you need dual BNC for Chord DACs, it is the only solution. 

5 minutes ago, edwardsean said:

Both USB and BNC cables make a large difference. It’s hard to estimate which makes the bigger difference, but both are worth the investment. I’m using a Sablon 2020 for the USB. However, if your configuration physically allows for you to use Uptone’s USPCB, it is a cheap way to get a very clean, high quality connection. That way you could concentrate on the BNC cables until you’re ready to upgrade the USB. 

The SRC-DX does represent a great value against other DDCs. If you need multiple I/Os then, of course, its not the solution for you. However, if you need dual BNC for Chord DACs, it is the only solution. 

Once I'm happy that I'm used to how everything sounds now, I'll try a few other BNC cables. I have the Tellurium Q Silver Diamond USB which I'm really happy with. Although, it isn't the most flexible, it does sound incredible.

5 hours ago, BlueDL said:

Ah.......maybe your OR is the ‘Roon Edition’........in which case, ignore the above. Personally speaking, I think the SRC-DX beats USB regardless of what you send it (even with ‘only’ Roon).

Correct.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

6 hours ago, NoNaim said:

Adding a JS-2 to the oR was a very nice uplift. Adding the JS-2 to the TT2 was nice but more subtle. Tweaking the presentation. Adding the SRC-DX I think resulted in the biggest change… for me anyway. 

I had a similar reaction to the JS-2 powering my TT2.  It worked wonders powering a few other devices, but a more subtle lift with the TT2.  

The Farad Super3 was a different story altogether.  The lift from this made it one of the best value for the money upgrades.  I think I said at the time it landed that it was a steal.  It gets even better though as it scales really well with a better power cord.

I’ve yet to try the SRC-DX, but it’s on my list of things to try at some point.  Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

17 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I had a similar reaction to the JS-2 powering my TT2.  It worked wonders powering a few other devices, but a more subtle lift with the TT2.  

The Farad Super3 was a different story altogether.  The lift from this made it one of the best value for the money upgrades.  I think I said at the time it landed that it was a steal.  It gets even better though as it scales really well with a better power cord.

I’ve yet to try the SRC-DX, but it’s on my list of things to try at some point.  Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

I have minimal space for my system... in my office, so only space for one LPS. I did look at the Farad Super 3 but it's a fixed voltage and only one rail so it lost out to the JS-2... which is excellent with the oR.

Yes, definitely give the SRC-DX a try... see if you can get a demo of one if you can!

• 4 months later...

Received the SRC-DX, am pleased so far. Most of my music has been PGGB converted to 706/768 but , music is being down converted

to the single coax 353/384 limit. Feels like energy that was going into a more aggressive treble end (irritating!) has shifted into a more cohesive midrange. Getting best sound so

far using an AQ Eagle Eye coax with adaptors at either end (BNC to RCA at SRC-DX, RCA to mini RCA at Mojo). My other cable options sounded thinner/brighter in comparison

whereas the AQ cable sounds tube like for mid range bloom. Much happier using SRC-DX at 384 out on SPDIF than I was with Denafrips Iris at 192 out on SPDIF

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

Received the SRC-DX, am pleased so far. Most of my music has been PGGB converted to 706/768 but , music is being down converted

to the single coax 353/384 limit. Feels like energy that was going into a more aggressive treble end (irritating!) has shifted into a more cohesive midrange. Getting best sound so

far using an AQ Eagle Eye coax with adaptors at either end (BNC to RCA at SRC-DX, RCA to mini RCA at Mojo). My other cable options sounded thinner/brighter in comparison

whereas the AQ cable sounds tube like for mid range bloom. Much happier using SRC-DX at 384 out on SPDIF than I was with Denafrips Iris at 192 out on SPDIF

Interesting… what DAC are you using it with?

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

Can you share some pictures of this type of connections?

And the link of these adapters will be appreciated as well.

The SRC-DX looks very interesting  

And I have one cumming soon to try with my Qutest DAC. 
Im running server 2019 PC, with JCAT XE usb,and JPlay Femto player. 
Dont suppose it can work with kernel streaming, but hope Asio will. 
What drivers and settings are you guys using ? 

regards. 

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

On 12/12/2021 at 2:15 AM, beautiful music said:

Can you share some pictures of this type of connections?

And the link of these adapters will be appreciated as well.

Nothing special about the adaptors, all from Monoprice

male BNC to female RCA adaptor for SRC-DX end

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-BNC-Male-Female-Adaptor/dp/B006VK8IEI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=monoprice+bnc+male+to+rca+female+adapter&qid=1639368961&s=electronics&sr=1-2

female RCA to mini mono RCA for Mojo  SPDIF input

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107146-3-5mm-Adaptor-Plated/dp/B0069MLDUO/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=monoprice+bnc+female+to+rca+mini+adapter&qid=1639369053&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Eagle Eye is an older AQ model  somewhere between the current Coffee and Diamond models for design quality. Annoying thing is they don't make BNC cables, only

coax and AES/EBU. But it sounds far better than the Vodoo or Wireworld starlight BNC cables I have which only require an adaptor at the mini RCA end.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system