IGNORED

Audiowise Opto-USB, SRC-DX and early experiments with the Chord Qutest before moving to TT2

I just received my SRC-DX today and it's made a big difference to my Qutest.  Much more significant than that made by the MCRU linear power supply. 

There's "extra texture" for sure especially in the midrange and a clearer, more organic sound to the high frequencies. I heard a breathy flute playing over the soprano in Bohm's 1969 recording of Fidelio that I hadn't heard before. 

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

@blueninjasix  How long of a burn-in before you got decent sound?  I received mine today and it’s improved much in the first 45 mins but still very tilted up and mediocre imaging and depth.  

I may need to rearrange cables to get my best digital coax cables on the SRX-DX input 1 to the MScaler and MScaler output BNC position 1 to the Qutest DAC  for greatest impact. I only have one BNC input connected to the MScaler (i.e., not dual inputs).   Have you tried ithe SRX-DX on the “standard” output setting rather the “high”?  

7 hours ago, terry78 said:

@blueninjasix  How long of a burn-in before you got decent sound?  I received mine today and it’s improved much in the first 45 mins but still very tilted up and mediocre imaging and depth.  

I may need to rearrange cables to get my best digital coax cables on the SRX-DX input 1 to the MScaler and MScaler output BNC position 1 to the Qutest DAC  for greatest impact. I only have one BNC input connected to the MScaler (i.e., not dual inputs).   Have you tried ithe SRX-DX on the “standard” output setting rather the “high”?  

I can't say that I was listening critically during the first 45 minutes. I was just happy that I'd managed to get the volume level sorted out from the Raspberry pi NAA. Also, my use case is different from yours as I don't use MScaler;  upsampling via Hqplayer. Dual bnc cables but not tried the Hi/Low button yet....

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the SRC-DX, with dual BNC cables into my Chord Hugo TT2's dual BNC inputs and enjoying 768hz via HQ Player and Roon from Qobuz.

I started wondering - since this device is USB powered - in my case from my SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo streamer - has anyone experimented with modding the device with an outside power supply?

Isn't the SRC-DX basically a DDS and wouldn't a separate, better power supply improve the SQ? I mean the power supply quality does matter for any other DDS. YES?

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3