IGNORED

NVMe SSD designed for audiophiles

Once you cut through the weeds of Litze, stranded and solid core, Silver versus Copper, and PTFE versus PVC insulation and forget about the prohibitively expensive silver/gold wire choosing from available selection is not that difficult anymore.

I favor solid core copper in PVC (I dislike the sound of PTFE), for critical places I strip the PVC and insulate the bare wire with natural material..

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Hey there, 
I really like the idea behind this SSD, I currently run 4 PCIe4 SSDs from Corsair in Raid 0 for minimal latency and maximum sub-byte security (a friend at the local audiophile meetup gave me this tip). While this gives pleasant results I'm always on the lookout for a better experience since some of the high notes seem to be muffled even after 900hrs of breaking in.

The thing I'm wondering about though is why this SSD has basically zero shielding. I'm very worried about the EMS radiation coming off of my CPU and Chipset disturbing the data stored in the SSD and causing too much background noise. Especially with these new 7nm CPUs. I've disabled all but one core on this 5950x to reduce it to a minimum while still retaining the maximum single core performance for reading files from the SSDs.

So ultimately my question is whill there ever be a shielded version of this SSD or do I need to look somewhere else?

Best regards,
Rufus.

Why not shield it while on your MB? I plan to do that when I get to the point where i construct the final case as I basically shield all components whether in the PSU or the rest of my build.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

On 12/17/2021 at 6:57 PM, RigorousRascal said:

So ultimately my question is whill there ever be a shielded version of this SSD or do I need to look somewhere else?

We have a design version of the heat sink, and there are photos on the official website, which should be able to meet your needs, but it has been difficult to mass produce. Due to the appearance of this SSD, commercially available shield/heatsink may not be installed.

2 hours ago, Savolax said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvme-ssd-for-audiophiles

This thread and the SSD made it to Tom's Hardware. Nothing "new" on it though. Carry on, just thought to mention. 

After reading Tom's page, you can do no more than laugh
A bunch of kids who do not understand anything,
Even Tom has twisted it to say that the seller does not answer questions,
when in fact it was buyers who did not respond,

I always switch off when I read stuff like; show me the measurement proving it sounds better...no point in discussing 

I regret to report the behavior of our SSD testers @Dev (Debjit Ghosh). He started testing on 2021/9/4 and did not return the product. Based on his notification at the end of October to deal with family matters, we did not contact him for the time being, until December, we tried to send PM, post here with tag, SMS, and phone calls with him, he neither answered nor responded.

If he disappears completely, we can think that he might actually have encountered an incident, but we can see that he continue to visit to Audiophile Style every one or two days during this period, so we can only assume that he is intentional encroach.

Hi @The Computer Audiophile, please pay attention to this user.

@darkforcestop all these non sense allegations. I am a member of this forum a while now and I am not the guy who is going to run away for a little dinky SSD of yours. I have way more investment in expensive audio gear that you can think of. 

Didn’t I offer you to pay for the product, not once but twice, to which you refused, before I left out of the country ? Didn’t I clearly indicate and messaged you couple of times end of Oct that I will be out of country for a while. Do you want me to post all the message exchange publicly here ? Anyway, FYI, I am still out of country and will be for sometime now. Being out of country doesn’t mean that I cannot log into the forum time to time. 

34 minutes ago, Dev said:

@darkforcestop all these non sense allegations. I am a member of this forum a while now and I am not the guy who is going to run away for a little dinky SSD of yours. I have way more investment in expensive audio gear that you can think of. 

Didn’t I offer you to pay for the product, not once but twice, to which you refused, before I left out of the country ? Didn’t I clearly indicate and messaged you couple of times end of Oct that I will be out of country for a while. Do you want me to post all the message exchange publicly here ? Anyway, FYI, I am still out of country and will be for sometime now. Being out of country doesn’t mean that I cannot log into the forum time to time. 

You can post any messages we exchange, my message does not ask you to pay, but asks you to send the item back, you are testing, not buying. The fact is that you are now willing to tweet here, but you don't have time to contact me directly at pm, this is a basic communication requirement, regardless of how expensive your equipment is.

45 minutes ago, Dev said:

what an attitude ?

48 minutes ago, darkforce said:

You can post any messages we exchange, my message does not ask you to pay, but asks you to send the item back, you are testing, not buying. The fact is that you are now willing to tweet here, but you don't have time to contact me directly at pm, this is a basic communication requirement, regardless of how expensive your equipment is.

didn’t I tell you that I do not have time to send it back now since I have last minute more important things to do for my travel ? Anyone who has traveled internationally these days knows how messy things are with pandemic requirements. Didn’t I tell you that I will pay it now and we can settle it later when I am back ? When someone is out of country and traveling for medical reasons, you expect them to communicate on time ? You must be out of your mind. Just don’t want to go into endless argument but you can only have it back when I am back - there isn’t any other option at this time, apart from me paying for this product and call it a day.

This is my last post on this. If you need further clarification, get in touch through pm.

On the premise that you have not informed the expected return time, your departure notice does not mean that you can completely ignore the message afterwards. Our test products are all borrowed from the factory, their inventory at the end of the year has also caused a lot of pressure on us, I must be able to grasp the situation at regular intervals and report back to the company.

I did not continue to send messages to disturb you, after the end of October, I only sent you a message in December, 1

Hi, It has been a while, is everything alright? Could you let me know your schedule to send SSD back, thanks. Best

I did not ask you to respond immediately too, I waited your response for another three weeks, please reply to my last pm with pm first.

I have only tested this Revelation Audio SSD with Euphony loaded on it...

I did have Audiolinux with Ramroot using the Samsung EVO SSD but found ramroot sounding too congested, with lack of air and sparkle, collapsed sound stage.

OS wise I went from Roon Rock -> Audiolinux -> Euphony.

The whole idea of this Revelation Audio SSD is to be able to power it from a decent linear power supply instead of the NUC (in my case) motherboard ...

I stopped looking for other audiolinux based OS after running Euphony without ramroot and powered by a Keces P3. You can read my review earlier in this thread with my listening experience.

Enjoy the year end holidays everyone, looking forward to many happy listening moments!

4 hours ago, oneguy said:

Anyone have any idea how this NVMe fares vs ramroot for AudioLinux playback quality with the OS loaded on it?

I am using it with Daphile, Daphile loads into RAM, I hear a serious improvement when loading files into RAM before playing them. I've compared loading files into RAM from regular SSD, Optane, Samsung Evo plus NVME, femto NVME and the order of sound quality is left to right, the femto drive wins hands down on blacker background, organic sound, coloratura, acoustics etc.

I have yet to l oad the OS onto the femto drive but I am quite certain that will be another improvement, I usually only make one change at a time to be able to assess differences and attribute them properly...makes for slow going as there are quite a few to make and I'm still finishing the PSU. (ordered a Duleund cast bypass to evaluate a bunch of bypass caps in various places etc) 

3 hours ago, Smaragdhk said:

I have only tested this Revelation Audio SSD with Euphony loaded on it...

I did have Audiolinux with Ramroot using the Samsung EVO SSD but found ramroot sounding too congested, with lack of air and sparkle, collapsed sound stage.

OS wise I went from Roon Rock -> Audiolinux -> Euphony.

The whole idea of this Revelation Audio SSD is to be able to power it from a decent linear power supply instead of the NUC (in my case) motherboard ...

I stopped looking for other audiolinux based OS after running Euphony without ramroot and powered by a Keces P3. You can read my review earlier in this thread with my listening experience.

Enjoy the year end holidays everyone, looking forward to many happy listening moments!

Thanks for the response! I currently have the Revelation Audio NVMe in my server that I am building and not the endpoint. I am guess though that same analogies may be able to be drawn. 

2 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I am using it with Daphile, Daphile loads into RAM, I hear a serious improvement when loading files into RAM before playing them. I've compared loading files into RAM from regular SSD, Optane, Samsung Evo plus NVME, femto NVME and the order of sound quality is left to right, the femto drive wins hands down on blacker background, organic sound, coloratura, acoustics etc.

I have yet to l oad the OS onto the femto drive but I am quite certain that will be another improvement, I usually only make one change at a time to be able to assess differences and attribute them properly...makes for slow going as there are quite a few to make and I'm still finishing the PSU. (ordered a Duleund cast bypass to evaluate a bunch of bypass caps in various places etc) 

My plan was to start off with the OS loaded to the NVMe and then try ramroot. Sounds like from what you are saying you would expect the NVMe loading the OS to be better? Awesome! Can’t wait to explore.