IGNORED

NVMe SSD designed for audiophiles

So I received my Femto drive this week from @darkforce It was packaged well and arrived safely.

Like many, I have been using a Optane 110Gb for the primary OS drive. The Asus ROG Z490 doesn't have a direct CPU M.2 slot and hence I am forced to use a PCIe to M.2 adapter to go CPU direct. I find it sounds slight better (but not much) and coherent than using the M.2 slots which connects to the Z490 chip (aka PCH). The music are on two 2Tb M.2 drives and they are connected to the onboard M.2 slots and this connects via Z490.

1622036025_IMG_92842.thumb.jpg.a83dc47c1d8d94a5d13af7ac8cfd42ca.jpg

Cloning Windows 10 was a pita and had few quirks with the boot that I was able to quickly resolve. Right now I am burning in and it has about 24hrs. Powering it via motherboard for the time being and then I will get into externally powering it with some LPS that I have in my arsenal.

Initial impression is very positive - it seems to take out the digital hash. The problem is you never know it exist until its removed. The same thing happened when I installed the Taiko DC-ATX for the first time.

As with everything, especially digital, it take a while for the components to settle down. Will update my findings when I have some running hrs on it...but so far, I am positive!

IMG_9283.thumb.jpg.fb81e1aded641754b6f0b531b64bf5b7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'd listen to it straight away, and make a comparison now AND later ;-)

It's too good to miss out on it until it reaches it's full potential IMO.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

it definitely is an amazing SSD, I LOVE how organic it sounds, system is running at max speed 24/7 on passive cooling, and it siunds stupidly good!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

great name IMO! 

Planning to now finally install the OS (latest Daphile RT beta) on it tonight, and see what that brings.

• 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Smaragdhk said:

Can you share a photos of this cable and some details on the model number?

NeoTech seems tonnage different iterations of the UP-OCC.

It's a DIY cable. Currently installed and would rather not remove it to take a photo. It looks like a simple short cable with female GX-16 on one end and a right angle Oyaide 2.1/5.5mm barrel connector. It is made of 16awg Neotech UP-OCC Solid core copper wire. In this duty it works better than the previous wire I was using. Not a fair comparison due to the fact that one is less than half the length of the other.