IGNORED

NVMe SSD designed for audiophiles

I want that one....but now with the femto SSD mounted!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

On 6/8/2022 at 5:23 AM, yamamoto2002 said:

IIRC I/O port of current gen NVMEoF Ethernet SSD is copper based: a protocol converter on the SSD speaks RDMA UDP protocol over its 25Gbe copper ethernet interconnect and Copper to Optical Media converter is needed to convert it to fibre optic. In the near future, I hope it will be replaced with direct silicon photonics optical protocol converter (for lower power consumption).

Source: https://www.servethehome.com/marvell-88ss5000-nvmeof-ssd-controller-shown-with-toshiba-bics/

In the photo, there are two SFP28 ports. most certainly it is for redundancy like SAS drives

Nice, I think the more common situation will be a specialized server box which has an array of NVME SSDs, 

so: https://www.servethehome.com/ingrasys-es2000-for-kioxia-em6-nvme-of-ssds-at-sc21/

and: https://www.dell.com/en-us/dt/storage/powermax/powermax-2000-all-flash-storage-array.htm

and: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/nvme

and you can build one on Linux using an NVME array controller along with a 100Gbe NIC etc

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

21 hours ago, yamamoto2002 said:

One concern is power consumption and need for high CFM fan ... Behold the counter rotating fan of Ingrasys enclosure, its sound is like a jet engine. I have a enterprise SAS12G SSD and it quickly becomes 70 ℃ and thermal shutdown with no airflow.

Ah yes but with a 100Gbe single mode fiber, the noisy box is in my basement and thoroughly isolated from my audio areas! The latency and access are essentially the same as for an SSD attached to my PCIe bus! RDMA/ROCE all the way! 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

looks like they forgot to update the max website traffic volume, or the disc is very slow ;-)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

• 2 months later...

Many satisfied users here. Thanks for sharing.

1. Since the effect of this SSD seems quite substantial I wonder if someone here tried music storage on a second larger 1 gig M2 Femto to further improve?
  2. Did someone compare sound quality between the two different versions?
  3. Did someone try caching music that resides on a different drive or a NAS on a partition on the same Femto drive to improve sound? I know for example that Euphony OS allows for this (or not).
  4. Is there any (“ordinary” Samsung, Intel ) NVMe SSD that comes close to this sound quality if your budget does not allow to spend 1099 USD? What where you using before the upgrade?

Thank you for taking the time 

On 8/29/2022 at 2:32 AM, Carlosoptico said:
  1. Since the effect of this SSD seems quite substantial I wonder if someone here tried music storage on a second larger 1 gig M2 Femto to further improve? 
  2. Hello, I can only answer the first question.  I have a second NMVE Femto SSD in pseudo SLC mode for the library and the results are impressive, especially after disabling the noisy SATA controllers in BIOS.  According to Dark Force there is better SQ in pseudo SLC mode, even if it's for the library.  Compared to an Apacer SLC SATA SSD in external enclosure via USB, the NMVE Femto SSD via PCIe adapter card and powered by a Plixir Elite BDC 4 Amp LPS has better ssound . Carlos

@Carlosoptico Interesting. To compare apples to apples, you just made me realise the SSD discussed here is ONLY the smaller 320GB pSLC mode (best sound quality) WITHOUT external power (unless you use with external power?)

The 960GB TLC mode (high capacity) with or without external power has not been tested, or test results being shared here.

On 9/3/2022 at 8:48 PM, di-fi said:

@Carlosoptico Interesting. To compare apples to apples, you just made me realise the SSD discussed here is ONLY the smaller 320GB pSLC mode (best sound quality) WITHOUT external power (unless you use with external power?)

The 960GB TLC mode (high capacity) with or without external power has not been tested, or test results being shared here.

Both of my M.2 Femto SSDs are externally powered by Plixir and JCAT Optimo 3 Duo. Carlos

On 9/7/2022 at 9:36 AM, Carlosoptico said:

Both of my M.2 Femto SSDs are externally powered by Plixir and JCAT Optimo 3 Duo. Carlos

Hi @Carlosopticothank you for the details, saw you install pictures as well. I have to apologize for my repetitive questions (also to some other contributors). For some reason I missed mostly pages 2-8 of this thread, I just caught up. Wow, thanks! I was recently reading from Ipad mini with many tabs of AS open, that did not work well, back to PC.

But while taking the time to read, always plenty interesting experiences here (thanks again all !), the Revelation Audio SSD price went down from $1099 to $899, great. And indeed unfortunately the 960GB TLC mode (high capacity) has not been tried (did they sell at all?).

Now I am shifting through the types of external power used here to find the most economical match, because external PSU is essential you all convinced me. Have to decide whether to connected in PCIe slot vs. M2.  I also wonder for external power for any other SSD (M2 / NVMe ) if anyone did solve this?

Cheers,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

That one might just work, why not give it a go? if the NVME does not work when the 4pin Molex is not connected you have cracked the code and made a great find!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just installed a Samsung 990 pro, with reportedly quite low jitter spec (a.o.) and must say it's worthwile improvement over the 970 Evo plus I had installed for file storage previously (all files played from RAM)

To be clear, it's no competition to the femto drive...yet that has more impact as OS drive than as file storage drive. YMMV