IGNORED

NVMe SSD designed for audiophiles

55 minutes ago, oneguy said:

My plan was to start off with the OS loaded to the NVMe and then try ramroot. Sounds like from what you are saying you would expect the NVMe loading the OS to be better? Awesome! Can’t wait to explore. 

That is indeed what I expect!

To the other point from @NewOldman: not using an endpoint makes it hard to use the femto drive there ;-)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

@oneguy

I finally got around to fight with installing the OS on the femto drive.....NICE! The effect of what I heard for files stored on it now for all and for streaming, the background is blacker and you hear deeper into the music.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

the difference is much more pronounced now the server is back to operating temp, wow the difference is not trivial!

24 minutes ago, Smaragdhk said:

Now that your processor is running at its optimal temperature, next thing to further tweak is to play around with the min and max CPU frequencies.

YMMV

enjoy!

Not sure for who this message is, I have played with CPU freq in Daphile previously and for now it stays at full speed.

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

Not sure for who this message is, I have played with CPU freq in Daphile previously and for now it stays at full speed.

Meant for you and anyone interested in experimenting…. Agreed that running at full speed even in Euphony yields the best results… but have you tried playing around with core isolation? Not sure if that is supported in Daphile… 

I haven't found a setting for it, but there is not a lot of Manual to go with Daphile while many things are taken care of  'in the dark' 

On 12/28/2021 at 7:32 AM, MarcelNL said:

@oneguy

I finally got around to fight with installing the OS on the femto drive.....NICE! The effect of what I heard for files stored on it now for all and for streaming, the background is blacker and you hear deeper into the music.

That’s excellent! I should have my RAM today and finally boot up my computer. I currently have AudioLinux on a thumb drive but plan on putting on the NVMe once I have got things running and familiar with the bios. I think I have to get an adapter to attach the NVMe to my laptop and install it similar to my thumb drive. Does that sound correct?

It took 4 hours and 15 min to extract AL to the thumb drive so looks like I’ll have good long wait to do the same to the NVMe

I'm no sure I can follow what you plan to do?  You have a computer and want to use a laptop to install Audio Linux onto the NVME? 

You probably want to install the femto NVME in your computer and copy the installation file onto it and then extract, but then again...it's been a while that I dabbled with Audio Linux so best check the manual. Extraction on the installed NVME should go pretty fast as it has a direct connection to the CPU whereas the USB drive you used goes through the USB controller.

So I now upgraded to femto NVME from an Audiophonics low noise LPSU to an Allo Shanti, due to a an upgrade in Switch and FSP (Finisar 1475BTL) and the new switch needs 12V.....the difference is not trivial, not a MAJOR step but it is a clear improvement.

The combo is a sure winner (the new FSP and the Shanto on the femto NVME)! 

3 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

So I now upgraded to femto NVME from an Audiophonics low noise LPSU to an Allo Shanti, due to a an upgrade in Switch and FSP (Finisar 1475BTL) and the new switch needs 12V.....the difference is not trivial, not a MAJOR step but it is a clear improvement.

The combo is a sure winner (the new FSP and the Shanto on the femto NVME)! 

Could you elaborate on which switch you have upgraded? I'm currently using a Linger Audio TCXO 5 port switch and looking for the next step...

In my experience the switch has a smaller impact than the SFP modules themselves, the current switch is a zyxel xgs1010-12. 

It's the Finisar SFP+ laser modules in the switch and Solarflare network card that have the most impact (and the Solarflare card as using two switches with fiber inbetween and making the last stretch UTP RJ45 cable does not sound as good as using the Solarflare card) 

They clearly don’t understand the concept of this SSD drive. The whole point is to be able to power to drive of a clean LPS instead of the motherboard. The difference between MB and LPS is clearly audible and provides an audible positive improvement when using a decent linear power supply.  It’s very easily to test as well. Flip the dip switch between internal MB and external LPS and let your ears decide which sounds better.

1 hour ago, damian101 said:

It does not matter at all how dirty the power coming to the SSD is, as long as it is within specs, so the SSD can work reliably. Choice of drive has generally no impact on sound, as long as it can deliver audio before the decoding buffer runs empty, and does not alter the files (drive failures, dead sectors, bit flips).
The entire digital audio chain up to the DAC is completely deterministic, as it should be; the hardware used does not matter, as long as it works reliably. This drive will make zero difference to the raw digital audio sent to your DAC, bit-identical.

Now, what about the analog audio signal created by the DAC, can that be influenced by choice of SSD? If DAC and SSD share the same power source, theoretically yes. If not, no. Also, dirty power can be cleaned, that's what those big capacitors on expensive amps and sound cards are for.

And direct acoustic noise? I have never heard the noise of an SSD, but that might be because I haven't yet put my ears inches away from a working SSD. The vast majority of SSDs are probably quieter than other parts of your computer, and probably below the noise floor of your room and your own ears anyway, at a normal distance. 

My conclusion: Unless your previous drive was particularly noisy, any perceived auditory differences between this SSD and your previous drive are completely imaginary. That is especially true for switching between MB power and dedicated power supply for this SSD, which, in case of using a dedicated DAC with dedicated power supply, can not even make a difference in theory.
You and many others in this thread have fallen victim to the placebo effect.

So would say the same logic would apply to Audiophile USB cards too? Say, power such card with external linear power supply that measures objectively better (less noise) than a common motherboard USB output, concluding no difference, just placebo?