IGNORED

NVMe SSD designed for audiophiles

Mine now has only a few hundred hours but it is still improving (like it a LOT), I will report more in depth at a later stage...a week of repeating songs played from the disk while I'm away will help :-)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

On 8/21/2021 at 3:50 AM, Smaragdhk said:

Any suggestions on which LPS that matches the FEMTO drive best?

Its recommended power is 5V 2.5A …

I've had very good results with this:

https://www.mpaudio.net/product-page/als-hpuln-ps

I will not be able to tell you if its "best" though as I have not done a comparison.

My build is rather simple too:

IEC Inlet > Transformer of 150VA > ALS-HPULN > Outputs.

The are the usual options discussed here as well:

Uptone JS-2

JCAT Optimo or Initio

Farad Super3

All of the above options will do a swell job.

Cheers,

-Rob

On 8/21/2021 at 3:50 AM, Smaragdhk said:

Any suggestions on which LPS that matches the FEMTO drive best?

Its recommended power is 5V 2.5A …

Alas the PS I had which sounded  best with the drive, an LPS 1.2 had too low an amperage to be reliable, DAC synch loss happened annoyingly often. The JS-2 was overkill.

I suspect the best match is something like a Superfarad3 LPS @ 5V or if it exists a capacitive power supply like the LPS 1.2 with the requisite 2.5A

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Allow me to post some initial findings after finally being able to install Darkforce’s FEMTO M.2 drive courtesy of his beta trial. Since I’m using a fan-less HDplex case there was not enough clearance to mount the drive directly on the NUC10i7’s motherboard.

I received a riser/ extender yesterday allowing to relocate the FEMTO M.2 drive.

Reinstalling Euphony was a breeze and in. In no time I was ready to play music again.

I’ve decided to run in the drive for a few days powered by the motherboard first (my NUC is already powered by a Keces P8 LPS) before changing the power supply setting and taking the 5V from an additional LPS.

The FEMTO M.2 replaces an Optane M.2 which already sounded much better than the Samsung 970 EVO used before.

I barely have 24 hours of running time, too little to comment frankly but so far and I already hear a more relaxed analogue like sound with better controlled bass… micro details are still a bit rolled off but my experience is that after 100 hrs this will improve and sound will open up further… very impressed so far and can’t wait to get to 150 or so hours where I will decide if the time is right to power the FEMTO M.2 drive from the external 

LPS… this should be another major step up… stay tuned.

Is anyone using this with M.2 to PCIe adapter ? The Z490 motherboards doesn't have a direct to CPU M.2 slot. Hence, currently I use an adapter for my Optane OS drive. I haven't tried different ones and compared to see if there are any SQ differences. Wondering if anyone has experience with a good one and find a difference with this NVME audiophile SSD from @darkforce  ?

6 hours ago, Dev said:

Is anyone using this with M.2 to PCIe adapter ? The Z490 motherboards doesn't have a direct to CPU M.2 slot. Hence, currently I use an adapter for my Optane OS drive. I haven't tried different ones and compared to see if there are any SQ differences. Wondering if anyone has experience with a good one and find a difference with this NVME audiophile SSD from @darkforce  ?

Looks like @Exocer is 

9 hours ago, Dev said:

You are unlikely to be able to use the FEMTO drive on a PCIE adaptor because there is a pin projecting out the back

from the DC jack, the two adaptors I have did not have adequate clearance to allow torquing the hold screw down.

Haven't measured but it looks the clearance on the cards at the connector end is 1/8" vs 1/4" inch

on a Z390 motherboard.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

You are unlikely to be able to use the FEMTO drive on a PCIE adaptor because there is a pin projecting out the back

from the DC jack, the two adaptors I have did not have adequate clearance to allow torquing the hold screw down.

Haven't measured but it looks the clearance on the cards at the connector end is 1/8" vs 1/4" inch

on a Z390 motherboard.

I see but looks like @Exoceris already using one with the FEMTO drive. See the post above yours. It might be worth to see what adapter he is using.

I have been testing this SSD for a couple of months now and it beats everything from CF-card to SSD of all kinds,
The important thing is that the m.2 slot goes directly to the CPU on the motherboard, and that you use an LPS ,.
It simply sounds natural and good !!

it is not cheap but clearly worth the price,
but you avoid the cost of a good SATA cable.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:05 PM, davide256 said:

@kelvinwsy do give Euphony a whirl with buffer track to RAM options disabled, cache to drive enabled, paying attention in particular to treble. Was having some resonance like

problems with treble on "Ready Player One " 96/24 soundtrack that this helped, will be trying other recordings today with lots of treble energy.

I have buffer track to RAM disabled but how does one enable cache to drive?