IGNORED

Building A Linear Power Supplies for HQPlayer Server

Following!  Very nice job and great tip to use supports for the toroidal.

I'm going to order the same toroidal for my SJ build, would you be able to supply dimentions for me including the baseplate?

For others following this thread...I just finished building an amplifier using the same Modushop chassis - you definately need a pillar drill/drill press for working with this as elan120 has used.  This other thing I noticed during my build is that the top and bottom panels are directional (Front/back) due to their drill hole spacing.  So if others are using this case just make sure you drill with the right orientation.  I wish Modushop would put basic stickers (front/back) or include some form of instructions with the panels.  If I was to do this project again then I'd definately invest in the inner baseplate - bottom of my amplifier looks like swiss cheese as I had to reposition everything (lesson learnt).

@elan120 I was wondering if feeding the JCAT card using bus-power, since this is from a SJ linear rail, will be pretty close to dedicated rail?  Did you ever recieve any feedback from SJ on this, or did you always intend to provide a dedicated rail.

Will be interested in you SQ comparisons of the SJ rail vs HDPlex.

11 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

would you be able to supply dimentions for me including the baseplate

The transformer I use has the following dimension:

• Transformer diameter:  ~154mm
  • Height~65mm + 25mm (side-wiring)

Base plate is 150mm x 150mm

11 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

I was wondering if feeding the JCAT card using bus-power, since this is from a SJ linear rail, will be pretty close to dedicated rail?  Did you ever recieve any feedback from SJ on this, or did you always intend to provide a dedicated rail.

I have always had better result using a dedicated rail for all the devices and JCAT card is no different, this is the reason I plan to have a dedicated rail just for the JCAT card.  Building this separate rail will not add that much more work, once I am done with this build, I will post steps I take to build the next 4-rail supply, and you will see it is less involved than this build.

9 hours ago, RickyV said:

Do you have a schematic drawing of the components layout? And what does the SJ current booster do?

This might be of interest too, https://evotronix.eu/main/

I bought 4 LC modules for the two nuc power supplies I am building.

Thank you for the link.  Looks like they have good product offerings.

I did put together a schematic and ran simulations for the pre-filter section before deciding what I will incorporate in this build, but since it may or may not fit other supply requirements, I will think about whether to post it here later.

SJ current booster is a module Sean provide to help raise the output current from the base level at 1.5A to 5A.  This supply will have two, wired in parallel to raise the output current up to 10A.  The output Sean provide is quite conservative, actual maximum output can be higher, but other considerations will need to be planned more carefully, such as heat dissipation, transformer rating...etc.

3 hours ago, elan120 said:

I have always had better result using a dedicated rail for all the devices and JCAT card is no different, this is the reason I plan to have a dedicated rail just for the JCAT card.  Building this separate rail will not add that much more work, once I am done with this build, I will post steps I take to build the next 4-rail supply, and you will see it is less involved than this build.

Probably a silly question to respond with but what about a dedicated 19v rail into something like an HDPLEX 400W/800W DC-ATX converter directly to an expansion card? I would think even this would fare better than bus power and would sit somewhere between bus power and a dedicated LPSU direct to the card... 

Something like this:

PaulHynes SR-7T > HDPlex DC-ATX Convert > Direct to card

21 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Don't forget the isolation pads on the regulators. 

Very good eyes Nenon and thanks for the reminder.  I only put them on the heat sink to see how they fit and plan for the wiring so didn't bother with the mica pads, but when I am ready to wire them, they will for sure have the mica pads added.

9 hours ago, elan120 said:

Thank you for the link.  Looks like they have good product offerings.

I did put together a schematic and ran simulations for the pre-filter section before deciding what I will incorporate in this build, but since it may or may not fit other supply requirements, I will think about whether to post it here later.

SJ current booster is a module Sean provide to help raise the output current from the base level at 1.5A to 5A.  This supply will have two, wired in parallel to raise the output current up to 10A.  The output Sean provide is quite conservative, actual maximum output can be higher, but other considerations will need to be planned more carefully, such as heat dissipation, transformer rating...etc.

Ah you have the SJ regulators too, that why I was confused about the booster modul.

Does SJ sell the regulators now to anyone? And may I ask what they cost?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Congrats Elan, very nice job and idea!

Viktor

Manufacturer of Core Audio equipments

www.coreaudio.eu

Source: Core Audio DAIDO ULTIMATE + CA KARUNA ULTIMATE USB/SPDIF Bridge + CA DENPO ULTIMATE DAC

Amplifiers: MBL 6010D preamp + MBL 9008A monoblocks

Loudspeakers: MBL 101emkII, YG Hailey 2.2

Cables: TARALABS USB, Muse Digit, Muse IC + ZERO Evolution, Muse SP

6 hours ago, RickyV said:

Ah you have the SJ regulators too, that why I was confused about the booster modul.

Does SJ sell the regulators now to anyone? And may I ask what they cost?

Yes, these are the key components I sourced from Sean, but the cost question is best answered by Sean.  He has different options available for these modules, and I was quoted with a package total of 5 rails with specific options, so I really don't know what the individual price was.

46 minutes ago, basillus said:

What is the reason that you use an 80v electrolyte that fills a lot

They are indeed bulky, but they were designed specifically for high current application that fits this power supply requirement well.  In addition, they have very low ESR rating which is also another important criteria I was looking for.  Finally, as a side benefit, it comes with chassis mount configuration, which is easier to have them installed and wired.  The need for an 80V rating is based on the power supply design topology where the transformer secondary output is rated at 18VAC, this output will rectify to about 25.5VDC, with +/- 5% of local power fluctuation, it could go as high as 26.7VDC, so higher voltage rating on these capacitors is essential for this power supply.

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

Once the back panel output section wiring is done, it's time to move to the front panel.  The only component on the front panel is the 25W power resistor between the two pre-filter capacitors.  It will also have the high current Neotech 12 AWG solid core copper wire soldered to both terminals.

20200521_191427.thumb.jpg.8bfe9881d85268918299c5d4a4dcd1cc.jpg

20200522_093757.thumb.jpg.2c2e807952c370cb1da647c0a475d683.jpg

Two bypass capacitors were also added to the second pre-filter capacitor, a 4.7uF Mundorf Aluminum Oil Series Metalized Oil-Impregnated Polypropylene film capacitor and a KEMET 0.1uF C0G (NP0) ceramic capacitor to help blocking the high frequency noise.

20200522_160448.thumb.jpg.fec179b35e41d39173cbe1c1310fd89b.jpg

20200522_160530.thumb.jpg.6dd59a1334efaa4b66e6d2b839b0730a.jpg

20200522_164409.thumb.jpg.58846b1b9a07f9ce2a6718e8c8b30295.jpg

Here is an overview of the progress thus far:

20200522_164557.thumb.jpg.6763e6ee236610aa5ac5ccdc8ea69c10.jpg

Next up is the transformer installation...heavy stuff!

Wow cool Elan really nice clean build. Also thanks for sharing the bypass capacitor values. 

What I couldn't see clearly was if you use one or two output connectors, looks like one 4 pole.

Under development:

3 hours ago, elan120 said:

Once the back panel output section wiring is done, it's time to move to the front panel.  The only component on the front panel is the 25W power resistor between the two pre-filter capacitors.  It will also have the high current Neotech 12 AWG solid core copper wire soldered to both terminals.

20200521_191427.thumb.jpg.8bfe9881d85268918299c5d4a4dcd1cc.jpg

20200522_093757.thumb.jpg.2c2e807952c370cb1da647c0a475d683.jpg

Two bypass capacitors were also added to the second pre-filter capacitor, a 4.7uF Mundorf Aluminum Oil Series Metalized Oil-Impregnated Polypropylene film capacitor and a KEMET 0.1uF C0G (NP0) ceramic capacitor to help blocking the high frequency noise.

20200522_160448.thumb.jpg.fec179b35e41d39173cbe1c1310fd89b.jpg

20200522_160530.thumb.jpg.6dd59a1334efaa4b66e6d2b839b0730a.jpg

20200522_164409.thumb.jpg.58846b1b9a07f9ce2a6718e8c8b30295.jpg

Here is an overview of the progress thus far:

20200522_164557.thumb.jpg.6763e6ee236610aa5ac5ccdc8ea69c10.jpg

Next up is the transformer installation...heavy stuff!

Never mind the question about the output connector, confused again.

Under development:

Totally awesome attention to detail and master level workmanship. Simply the neatest job I have seen. Great work!👍

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II