IGNORED

Article: Review | Ayre Acoustics QB-9 Twenty

5 of 5 now!  Makes sense. 

The review is great and the comparison to the other reference expensive units is fantastic .....and it’s CASH list but....,

....it is only 3 out of 5 stars?

i must not understand something

2 hours ago, mr_bill said:

5 of 5 now!  Makes sense. 

The review is great and the comparison to the other reference expensive units is fantastic .....and it’s CASH list but....,

....it is only 3 out of 5 stars?

i must not understand something

The star ratings for this review (at the very top) are left by anyone who wants to review my review. If they don't like the review or perhaps don't like me, they just leave low star ratings. It happens and has zero to do with the product. 

The star ratings in our review platform Polestar are valid user reviews of only the product - 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 minutes ago, bobflood said:

I don't know about all this emotional attachment stuff. I mean the thought of a middle-age man crying in his beer (well tea actually) while listening to some sad song all alone and in the dark is a bit frightening. Well anyhow, Happy Quarantine 

hope you didn’t cry too long. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My QB-9 is on its way to Ayre for the upgrade.  I can't wait for its return after reading this review.  The QB-9 has always been a landmark product since the early days of computer audio.  Its return with the Twenty technology is the most exciting digital news I have heard in sometime, with a nostalgic kicker.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

People still use unbalanced? :~)

I used the balanced outputs and haven't had RCA cables out of my closet in years :~)

There's actually a number of potential upsides to unbalanced operation.  You just need to find other ways to mitigate the real problems balanced operation tends to help with.

But, balanced works pretty well, too...

BTW, I'm VERY disappointed that the mounting screw for the power supply wasn't changed.  I feel taken advantage of.

5 minutes ago, CG said:

There's actually a number of potential upsides to unbalanced operation.  You just need to find other ways to mitigate the real problems balanced operation tends to help with.

BTW, I'm VERY disappointed that the mounting screw for the power supply wasn't changed.  I feel taken advantage of.

I’m a big fan of a usually higher output voltage with balanced connections in addition to the noise rejection. Not sure unbalanced can counter that, but I agree both can be great. 

5 minutes ago, CG said:

If it helps, I can go in and replace every lock washer with a brand new, shiny, also non-magnetic lock washer of your choosing.  Just send in your material of choice with the unit and I'll oversee it personally. ;)

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

5 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

If it helps, I can go in and replace every lock washer with a brand new, shiny, also non-magnetic lock washer of your choosing.  Just send in your material of choice with the unit and I'll oversee it personally. ;)

Nah.  Too late.  My spirit has already been crushed irredeemably.

I'll just live with what you sent.

Thanks for the offer, though.

Chris-

I hadn't paid any attention to the soundtrack version of the album till I read the review. Now that I've listened to it, I prefer it. It has a more open, dare I say "natural" feel to it. There is something to be said for good musicians performing live. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

21 minutes ago, CG said:

Balanced circuitry doesn't have any particular signal level advantage over unbalanced.  You can make either one low or high.  The audio biz has sorta/kinda standardized around 2 or so Vrms for unbalanced, with double that for balanced.  But, there's no reason it has to be that way.  In fact, there's no reason power amplifiers need *any* voltage gain at all!  The power amp could just as easily be a unity gain current amplifier with all the voltage gain performed in the "preamp".  You'd gain roughly 26 dB in interconnect noise immunity because of the higher levels.

As for noise rejection, that's a long subject to discuss on an audio forum.  You can make an argument that just twisting the words together in an interconnect (or using quad twist) is just as good as balanced circuitry at audio frequencies.  But, with commercial audio gear, we are where we are.

Much of the noise reduction advantage of balanced audio amplification has to do with how the power supply noise and crap is rejected by the balanced amplifier circuitry.  Again, not even for the Objectivist corner here...

I certainly here you but in the real world we only can only make selections from the products available. I’ll stand by my preference for balanced and higher voltage because nothing else exists :~)