IGNORED

Why are objective assessments important...

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Very important observation and why in my article a few years back, I devoted a portion on the COGNITIVE component of listening; beyond the physiological limitations of the human ear/mind. Our ability to ATTEND is limited and so when we listen to music, the attention wanders in and out depending on all kinds of factors. Moods change. Attentiveness changes through the day. A song might "speak" to me more after a busy day at work compared to a weekend, etc...

There's a remarkably easy way to assess overall competence of the playback - wind up the volume so that it's really LOUD - that is, mimic the levels that the equivalent live sound would be for the type of music - and then deliberately engage in earnest conversation with someone besides you, preferably about something that's nothing to do with music ... if you are at total ease doing this, and have no issues flicking your attention now and again to what's going on in the music - then it gets a tick. If OTOH the urge builds rapidly to run over and "turn the bloody thing down!" ... then it's a fail ...

I thought a lot also about @barrows plasticity. Certainly it is there, but Archimago’s comments are good. 

OTOH, a baby’s? Wow! Wonderful to behold. 

Barrow’s comments re. the complex mechanisms of hearing were welcome. 

I agree as well that our understanding of the human brain, while progressing, remains daunting. I have explained it as the “final frontier.”

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

1 hour ago, Bill Brown said:

I thought a lot also about @barrows plasticity. Certainly it is there, but Archimago’s comments are good. 

OTOH, a baby’s? Wow! Wonderful to behold. 

Barrow’s comments re. the complex mechanisms of hearing were welcome. 

I agree as well that our understanding of the human brain, while progressing, remains daunting. I have explained it as the “final frontier.”

Yeah agreed, although looks to me like the quantum realm, and the cosmos are pretty open ended as well!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

11 hours ago, fas42 said:

There's a remarkably easy way to assess overall competence

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

21 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

The Long Read  at The  Guardian's webpage called "Why your brain is not a computer"

My short resume:  There seems to be a lot unclear in that area ...😉

It's a good article ... and an object lesson in the kind of "humility" I've mentioned once or twice.

Honestly ... some things just are. Science hates circular arguments. But that's where we're going (maybe necessarily!) with this one.

I just mean - @Archimago has been very lax and kind about scope on this thread lately - but even I'm thinking we're getting a bit wild for "Objective-Fi"!

All meant in good humour!

2 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Inspired by this thread I was curious to read today's The Long Read  at The  Guardian's webpage called "Why your brain is not a computer"

My short resume:  There seems to be a lot unclear in that area ...

A great read. 
if you haven’t come across it I highly recommend “The master and his emissary” by Ian McGilchrist. A masterpiece of both scientific research into the structure of our brains and philosophical implications. Does touch on some of the issues raised in this thread and beyond.  
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_and_His_Emissary

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

9 hours ago, tapatrick said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which says it all, really ... people can't grok that why live, acoustic is so easy to "take in", is because the brain doesn't have to work hard to separate what's going on in the auditory world around it - if you're talking to someone, and there's music playing, there is merely the task of keeping the music separate from the conversation; if the music is distortion impregnated replay, then you're doubling the workload on our poor minds - it also wants to discard the anomalies it can hear in the music which is in the background ... "Overload, overload!!", and the poor Lost in Space robot starts spinning its arms wildly ...

There almost seems a perverse need to have reproduction be like solving a mathematical problem, amongst some  - unless the listener has to "work on it" when taking in the presentation, then it ain't good enough, 😜.

There's a huge amount of "I don't know" in audio - I spent decades scratching my head about what was going on; my current ideas are the integration, 😁, of my findings to date - I do know what the listening mind can 'see' in audio replay, but what are the key ingredients in terms of lack of anomalies that would be easily measurable, that guarantee this behaviour, I don't know; and why almost bizarre tweaking, which theoretically is almost of zero value, still has the ability to to ripple through and impact subjective SQ, I don't know.

22 hours ago, Archimago said:

My personal feeling is that over time, we tend to form opinions about equipment that might also be unrelated to sound quality itself. Hard to prove this. Sort of related to how with consumer goods, there's a tendency over time to catch "upgradeitis" and want something "different", not necessarily "better" sounding. A "7 year itch" perhaps - in the case of obsessive audiophiles, maybe even every 6 months 🙂. Not sure how one would dissociate this longterm tendency from actual adjudication of sound quality!

Very refreshing to discuss being objective about subjectivity. For sure 'upgradeitiis' is a big component and blinkers our ability to be honest and straightforward about sound quality especially in relation to our own systems. In relation to your last sentence, I would consider development has occurred when the itch has been out grown as in a maturation of desire combined with perfecting ones system to a sufficiently satisfactory point or one has run out of money! :)  

22 hours ago, Archimago said:

Very important observation and why in my article a few years back, I devoted a portion on the COGNITIVE component of listening; beyond the physiological limitations of the human ear/mind. Our ability to ATTEND is limited and so when we listen to music, the attention wanders in and out depending on all kinds of factors. Moods change. Attentiveness changes through the day. A song might "speak" to me more after a busy day at work compared to a weekend, etc...

I will read your article.

I am aware of these modes and moods and how they change the experience. I have worked out that the only lingering dissatisfaction I have with my system has been narrowed down to lie in the region between 8-10khz. With some recordings I add a narrow sharp DSP cut in Roon at 8khz and then I can sink back in my seat and get lost in the music again. Some detail and 'air' is lost but the whole is made better. My interest in being objective about my subjectivity is so that I can get lost in the listening experience as one of life's great pleasures. As an artist I require this in order to set my imagination free. 

23 hours ago, Archimago said:

Have fun! Enjoy the music...

For sure, you too! :)

24 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I don't know.

I don't know but I want to know is a profound position to adopt....

49 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Very refreshing to discuss being objective about subjectivity. For sure 'upgradeitiis' is a big component and blinkers our ability to be honest and straightforward about sound quality especially in relation to our own systems. In relation to your last sentence, I would consider development has occurred when the itch has been out grown as in a maturation of desire combined with perfecting ones system to a sufficiently satisfactory point or one has run out of money! :)  

I had the remarkable good fortune that my first choice of 'bits' was good enough to do the job; it only required a touch of fiddling to get it to snap into shape. Hence, 'upgradeitiis' has never figured for me - when I checked out what supposedly better gear was doing, it was so far behind in key areas that changing anything I was using had zero appeal.

49 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

I will read your article.

I am aware of these modes and moods and how they change the experience. I have worked out that the only lingering dissatisfaction I have with my system has been narrowed down to lie in the region between 8-10khz. With some recordings I add a narrow sharp DSP cut in Roon at 8khz and then I can sink back in my seat and get lost in the music again. Some detail and 'air' is lost but the whole is made better. My interest in being objective about my subjectivity is so that I can get lost in the listening experience as one of life's great pleasures. As an artist I require this in order to set my imagination free. 

For sure, you too! :)

Yes, getting lost in the listening experience is what it's about ... where nearly every ambitious rig fails is that they make key playback anomalies too obvious - and it's impossible to "get lost". The 'objective' way to assess this is to have a selection of recordings which are 'difficult' - which immediately give the game away, when you try them on a system .. the end goal is to have every single 'difficult' recording you own trigger the "getting lost in the music" sensation.

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Which says it all, really ... people can't grok that why live, acoustic is so easy to "take in", is because the brain doesn't have to work hard to separate what's going on in the auditory world around it - if you're talking to someone, and there's music playing, there is merely the task of keeping the music separate from the conversation; if the music is distortion impregnated replay, then you're doubling the workload on our poor minds - it also wants to discard the anomalies it can hear in the music which is in the background ... "Overload, overload!!", and the poor Lost in Space robot starts spinning its arms wildly ...

Please provide evidence of this claim.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

Please provide evidence of this claim.

A trivially obvious fact to me, when I try to interact with a demonstrator in a hifi shop 😉 .. CPE, Cocktail Party Effect has been studied for over 50 years, there's a huge amount of research on myriad aspects of this - one particularly relevant is "A behavioral study on the effects of rock music on auditory attention", that popped up quickly, http://eis.bristol.ac.uk/~xf14883/files/conf/2013_hbu_musicattention.pdf

-

9 hours ago, Archimago said:

BUT... Coming back to the thread title, we must still contend with the fact that the vast majority of that "nourishment" is a result of the art itself (ie. music), and not confuse that with the devices we're using to convey the sound. The machines we use to reproduce the music are conduits for the art and IMO the job is to transmit the signals that encode the art. And objective analysis is the primary way of determining that these devices are performing to expectations.

I have met McGilchrist too and asked him some questions - a great man.

Agree wholeheartedly but I do not have the training or experience so this might be a good point to ask:

• what are the measurements that can be made, or should be made in relation to analysing performance of equipment?

• and secondly overall sound quality

• what equipment can be used/bought for home use?

• how do you make and record these?

• how can we 'view' them?

• what should we be looking for in the measurements?

9 hours ago, Archimago said:

The machines we use to reproduce the music are conduits for the art and IMO the job is to transmit the signals that encode the art. And objective analysis is the primary way of determining that these devices are performing to expectations.

So, if I listen to a system, and I think it sounds awful, and that it's a long way from sounding convincing; but conventional objective analysis says it can't find any issues - then my hearing is the one in the wrong?