IGNORED

Why are objective assessments important...

5 hours ago, Iving said:

the octane quality of my musical kicks.

...a line from a punk rock anthem with appropriate guitar riff..:)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 2/23/2020 at 12:15 AM, Archimago said:

...For example, in my blind testing years ago, I found a group of people who preferred MP3 over lossless FLAC. I personally have no problems with this (since I don't think high bitrate MP3 sounds bad at all) but it would be very much "counterculture" to various "purist" forms of audiophilia (including strict objective ideal of "high fidelity" and absolute "transparency") that seeks less manipulation of the sound.

@archimago wondering what you think of this Genelec paper... questioning quick v slow listening..

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

FYI... Just posted some thoughts that originated in our discussions here.

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/03/musings-audio-music-audiophile-big.html

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

24 minutes ago, Archimago said:

FYI... Just posted some thoughts that originated in our discussions here.

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/03/musings-audio-music-audiophile-big.html

Right in the middle of a busy morning, so haven't yet digested the article ... but on a glance through, noted this,

I'm happy to spend time and disposable income to get things "right", what I've come to learn is that there's no need to sweat the small stuff

My thinking here this is completely on the other side of the fence - meaning that spending time and disposable income to get (the major) things right is only the start ... "sweating the small stuff" is the heart of the battle - IME, compromised SQ is all that can be accomplished, otherwise.

47 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Right in the middle of a busy morning, so haven't yet digested the article ... but on a glance through, noted this,

My thinking here this is completely on the other side of the fence - meaning that spending time and disposable income to get (the major) things right is only the start ... "sweating the small stuff" is the heart of the battle - IME, compromised SQ is all that can be accomplished, otherwise.

I disagree @fas42...

IMO, the need and incessant focus on the "small stuff" without insight I believe is a sign of the neuroticism which is the nidus at the heart of what over time eventually leads to madness 😱.

Careful, dear audiophiles. 😉

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

26 minutes ago, Archimago said:

I disagree @fas42...

IMO, the need and incessant focus on the "small stuff" without insight I believe is a sign of the neuroticism which is the nidus at the heart of what over time eventually leads to madness 😱.

Careful, dear audiophiles. 😉

Ahh, that's the important bit - as highlighted ... you need to know what the point is of what you're doing, and be able to assess whether there is an audible improvement, as a result ... flying blind will not an efficient approach, 😉.

Speaking of flying, that's the sad thing about audio - it's not the power of the  engines, nor the shape of the wings that brings aircraft down - it's that the mechanic used the wrong size bolts when replacing something, or that the fuel needed was calculated using the wrong units, a mental glitch of the moment ... all the "small stuff" is vital for making planes safe in the air - and so it turns out to be in audio also, the best SQ only eventuates when all care is taken.

7 hours ago, Archimago said:

...why should we not think that maybe over time what we perceive is actually a change within ourselves rather than a reflection of the true "difference" produced by the device being listened to?

....that he spent $$$$ on some wires and now feeling better about the money he dropped (because he consciously/subsconsciously wants that to happen as well!).

Thanks and good points..:) A change within ourselves is all part of the 'science' from my point of interest which includes (trying) to understand subjectivity.

For sure spending $$$ is always going to be a major influence on any assessment.

On 3/2/2020 at 5:52 AM, tapatrick said:

I think you have done a good job in your blog post of covering all the relevant areas involved from music production to listening. And maybe the conversation is now concluded. 

If only everyone would acknowledge and respect each others 'intent' as you put it then there would be a lot less misunderstanding. I am none the wiser which measurements matter but I have to say I'm now clear that measuring and analysing equipment outside of listening leaves me cold. I will leave that to others more qualified but I will keep an eye on developments.. :).

Hi @tapatrick

I have some thoughts about the "which measurements matter" question that I'll post on the blog in the next while...

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Hi @tapatrick

I have some thoughts about the "which measurements matter" question that I'll post on the blog in the next while...

Thanks for letting me know. Look forward to reading your thoughts.