IGNORED

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

2 hours ago, heyhsia said:

I'm a newb to streaming and would be grateful to understand how a better USB (like Gen 5 or the Unison upgrade) would improve the SQ coming through the Microrendu; I was under the impression that somehow the Microrendu's streaming technology made the quality of the USB connection less critical.

The Microrendu has an USB output stage and your DAC an USB input stage.

Improvements of these stages like Unison will provide better SQ.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

The usb c was a bit of a curveball for me. I have found a nice usb c to b cable from the Oyaide DJ line for about $40 but can’t find a usb b to c adapter to use with my current usb a to b cable, also from the Oyaide DJ line. By the way, for those interested, the transport will act as a Unison usb Eitr as well. Usb in and spdif and AES out.

Type-C Specification, Section 2.2, “USB Type-C receptacle to USB legacy adapters are explicitly not defined or allowed. Such adapters would allow many invalid and potentially unsafe cable connections to be constructed by users.”

https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/USB Type-C Spec R2.0 - August 2019.pdf

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

By the way, for those interested, the transport will act as a Unison usb Eitr as well. Usb in and spdif and AES out.

Does it improve the pure USB pathway as well, so that USB out is better than USB in?

Thanks

Matt

1 minute ago, JoeWhip said:

I believe that it will as it will be a Unison in like on the Yggy, Gumby and BiFrost and that sure improves the sound. Time will tell. Hopefully I will have one soon.

Did they say something about the release date ?

Thanks

Matt

Nothing firm. The metal work for the box is in as they showed it as are the mechanisms. They are waiting for some brackets for the box. Reading between the lines, it would appear they are out or just about out of firmware hell. They want to do a robust beta which should take a couple of months, so I would expect that they could start selling the transport in December depending on the results of the beta but more likely in January. However, I am not a psychic.

50 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Nothing firm. The metal work for the box is in as they showed it as are the mechanisms. They are waiting for some brackets for the box. Reading between the lines, it would appear they are out or just about out of firmware hell. They want to do a robust beta which should take a couple of months, so I would expect that they could start selling the transport in December depending on the results of the beta but more likely in January. However, I am not a psychic.

Would be very kind if you can check with Jason whether the Vbus of the USB output of the transport is able to power a pure USB DAC (without an additional power supply).

Many thanks 🙂

Matt

Anyone have experience with Unison from a Mac mini? Noticeable improvement?

Mac mini (3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i3) with external Crucial 2TB SSD  > Schiit Yggdrasil (A1) > Emotiva XPS-1 > Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks > Magnepan 1.7s, and Rhymik LV12Rs (2), and Schiit Asgard 2 > AKG Q702

20 minutes ago, JeffNYC said:

Anyone have experience with Unison from a Mac mini? Noticeable improvement?

Yes, enough of an improvement over Gen5 on my Yggy that I found I no longer needed to use an ISO Regen and removed it. That said, adding a microRendu - thus getting the Mac disconnected from the Yggy USB input altogether- made an even bigger improvement, so if you are looking for an upgrade path you might consider it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 3:27 PM, jiminlogansquare said:

Yes, enough of an improvement over Gen5 on my Yggy that I found I no longer needed to use an ISO Regen and removed it. That said, adding a microRendu - thus getting the Mac disconnected from the Yggy USB input altogether- made an even bigger improvement, so if you are looking for an upgrade path you might consider it. 

Hi jiminlogansquare: How are you bypassing Yggy's USB input?  I thought the microRendu is supposed to output via USB-A and plug into your Yggy's USB-B input via an adapter.  

5 minutes ago, heyhsia said:

Hi jiminlogansquare: How are you bypassing Yggy's USB input?  I thought the microRendu is supposed to output via USB-A and plug into your Yggy's USB-B input via an adapter.  

Standard USB cables are A at one end and B at the other. USB 3 male plugs have a different design for the B end plug vs USB 2.0 but the female (socket) end connectors

for USB 3 are plug compatible/downgrade to USB 2.0

https://www.electroschematics.com/usb-how-things-work/

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

46 minutes ago, heyhsia said:

Hi, I didn’t bypass the Yggy’s input, I removed the Mac Mini that originally was hooked to the Yggy via USB and replaced it with a Rendu hooked to the Yggy via USB. The source changed, not the input. By eliminating the noisy Mac Mini I improved the performance of the Yggy’s USB input. 

BEFORE: Mac Mini USB output > USB cable > Yggy USB input 

AFTER: Rendu USB output > USB cable > Yggy USB input

3 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Hi, I didn’t bypass the Yggy’s input, I removed the Mac Mini that originally was hooked to the Yggy via USB and replaced it with a Rendu hooked to the Yggy via USB. The source changed, not the input. By eliminating the noisy Mac Mini I improved the performance of the Yggy’s USB input. 

BEFORE: Mac Mini USB output > USB cable > Yggy USB input 

AFTER: Rendu USB output > USB cable > Yggy USB input

Nice.  Thanks for clarifying.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

I read that and still don't know if the Multibit has the Unison USB input as well or if its limited to the regular model.

Acc'd to the Modi specs page, only the 3+ has the Unison, the multibit version has the C-Media USB input.

The FAQ page implies the same.

https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 4 weeks later...