IGNORED

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

22 hours ago, matthias said:

......digital hub with USB, Coax and AES output.

It seems to work as DDC with reclocking too, the question is if the USB output will also be superior to the USB input.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Yes, the SchiiT URD will have at least one USB input which is why it is of such an interest to me. MM claims that Unison out to Unison in is the bee’s knees. The transport will also function as an EITR for those that want to use coax or AES. I do not think it will have a toslink output. They are making the beta units now and I hope to have one in late January. The only bug in the ointment is that all of the usb in and outputs will be usb c which means new cables.

2 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Yes, the SchiiT URD will have at least one USB input which is why it is of such an interest to me. MM claims that Unison out to Unison in is the bee’s knees. The transport will also function as an EITR for those that want to use coax or AES. I do not think it will have a toslink output. They are making the beta units now and I hope to have one in late January. The only bug in the ointment is that all of the usb in and outputs will be usb c which means new cables.

Yes, Jason said on FB no Toslink.

Looking forward to your impressions.

I hope Schiit will offer suitable USB-C cables, hopefully at least USB-A to USB-C

Matt

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

I can get an adapter for A to C, but none exist for B to C. Jason has talked about selling USB c cables.

I would not use any adapter for best SQ.

There is a very nice and not expensive Oyaide Neo USB-C to USB-B cable, the green one.

Also from Oyaide Neo a brand-new C to C cable, so the only one Schiit should offer is A to C.

Matt

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

I cannot find an a to c cable anywhere or a male a to female c adapter.

I have such a cable, it came with my Khadas Tone Board, afaik it is available as spare part, but it is not UHQ.

I think the best would be if Schiit offers one with the URD. 

Edit: Sonore offers the same with their ToneDAC.

Edit 2: https://www.futureshop.co.uk/high-quality-usb-2-0-a-c-sync-charge-cable-1m

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

We will be hosting a virtual meeting with Mike in late February with our local audio group. It was scheduled for October but we had to cancel due to Mike’s Health issue which I was not able to talk about. Glad to see he is doing so well. These issues will be discussed.

Please ask him what happens exactly with USB on the way from the input of the URD to Unison output.

In which way will the signal be improved?

Is there some reclocking?

Thanks

Matt

Has anyone tried their SPDIF connection since upgrading to Unison and if so what are your thoughts vs Unison. I did this with my Euphony Stylus PC in to a Eitr and believe the sound is more detailed and spacious, but bass not as full. I need to do more listening but was wondering if anyone else tried this and what was the result.

10 hours ago, sjj said:

Has anyone tried their SPDIF connection since upgrading to Unison and if so what are your thoughts vs Unison. I did this with my Euphony Stylus PC in to a Eitr and believe the sound is more detailed and spacious, but bass not as full. I need to do more listening but was wondering if anyone else tried this and what was the result.

The Eitr is based on the former Schiit Gen5 USB tech which is supposed to be inferior to Unison. So I think it is unlikely that you get an improvement using Eitr. However, it might be the case when the USB output of your PC is a very low quality one.

Matt

2 hours ago, matthias said:

The Eitr is based on the former Schiit Gen5 USB tech which is supposed to be inferior to Unison. So I think it is unlikely that you get an improvement using Eitr. However, it might be the case when the USB output of your PC is a very low quality one.

Matt

I’m aware of Eitr being based on Gen5; this was the only way for me to connect via SPDIF. I also have a USBridge Sig and the SPDIF connection sounded better. I need to do more listening. I was interested to see if anyone with a native SPDIF connection had a similiar experience or may be my ears are failing me. Thanks