IGNORED

Schiit Audio Releases its Unison USB Upgrade

4 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

It only plays CDs guys. However, it has a Unison USB out. MM has noted that having Unison out and in sounds great. That is why I am very interested. Oh, and I won’t be using it to play CDs. So.... I think you can figure out the rest. And no, there is no fiber. 

So do you not think they will launch a version without CD as well?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

10 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

It only plays CDs guys. However, it has a Unison USB out. MM has noted that having Unison out and in sounds great. That is why I am very interested. Oh, and I won’t be using it to play CDs. So.... I think you can figure out the rest. And no, there is no fiber. Just reread Mike’s posts about it.

Thats a bit of double speak there...

No electron left behind.

I doubt it. In one of the postings back, Mike indicated that he is working on a gadget that will enable them to test Unison out with other DACs. I hope to have one of them in a few weeks to run some tests on DACs I have access too. This is for testing purposes only I would suppose, and not as a commercial product. Mike and Dave are busy guys. But the transport is it. 

1 minute ago, JoeWhip said:

I doubt it. In one of the postings back, Mike indicated that he is working on a gadget that will enable them to test Unison out with other DACs. I hope to have one of them in a few weeks to run some tests on DACs I have access too. This is for testing purposes only I would suppose, and not as a commercial product. Mike and Dave are busy guys. But the transport is it. 

If so, that sounds like a terrible idea.

No electron left behind.

This is a testing gadget to see if Unison USB works with non Schiit DACs. Think of it as a Unison Eitr. It is not a commercial product and can be used before the transport is ready. This unit is in beta but the transport in alpha. Seems pretty simple to me.

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

You're holding off on a network player to play CDs...

You don't see a problem there?

Network is not schiit's forte...you can only specialize in so many things for a company their size.

I think a cd will be great if it delivers, just not my interest either....but don't knock it until the reviews are out.

But even if it got phenominal reviews, for the money, i don't want another spinner.  Would rather have my marantz sacd player or an oppo with more features....but for the purist that enjoys listening to cd's, it may be the ticket.

I do believe it would be in mikes forte to be able to provide a thumb drive input at some point in his life though, and that i would look forward to.

7 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

This is a testing gadget to see if Unison USB works with non Schiit DACs. Think of it as a Unison Eitr. It is not a commercial product and can be used before the transport is ready. This unit is in beta but the transport in alpha. Seems pretty simple to me.

if that is all there is to it, he could make a unison eitr without a cd transport for much less, and may be a bigger seller.

9 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

So an USB to Unison converter?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

...hmmm...thinking....maybe he has figured out the whole timing thing, why a spinner can sound better than other playing methods...i am not willing to knock it until the verdict is out....i have seen crazier things in my engineering lifetime....

Any audio engineers here know why spinners sometimes sound better than playing from a player even if using the same dac?  We all know about how power can cause havoc, but is there something unique about timing that an external clock couldn't do?

Maybe it uses a spinner as a clock (smile)>

I know Mr. Moffat is probably one of, if not the most talented in the forte that he does excel in, and I just hope that sometimes before he dies, he at least provides a usb slot for a thumbdrive...but i guess that would require software for access....maybe he could team with someone.

Edit to add...that would make a great team...sonore + schiit (smile)...they could make a hell of a product together.  I am not as keen on dsd as i once was, now that i think i understand the benefits of upsampling more now. 

4 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

It only plays CDs guys. However, it has a Unison USB out. MM has noted that having Unison out and in sounds great. That is why I am very interested. Oh, and I won’t be using it to play CDs. So.... I think you can figure out the rest. And no, there is no fiber. Just reread Mike’s posts about it.

28 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Come on guys, it really is not that hard to guess what Schiit transport will have and do:

• CD-ROM data mode playback of CDs (as opposed to variable speed EFM, Eight-to-fourteen modulation);
  • 100Mbps RJ45 copper Ethernet "input" for playing PCM files. Network/endpoint player/software protocol unknown, but you can be sure they will try to make it as compatible as possible with popular desktop player client user interfaces (iTunes, Roon, JRiver, DLNA/UPnP, whatever) as Schiit has zero interest in becoming a software company.
  • USB out to a DAC. The trick here, and clearly what they have said they are working on now is to get their USB host s/w (which will be flashed into their PIC32 at power-on) to be as UAC2 compliant as possible so they can be more broadly compatible with non-Unison USB DACs such as typical XMOS, etc.  Expect firmware updates to be required once they have a thousand units in the field.

Those of who who imagine anything significantly more elaborate than the above don't know Schiit. 9_9

If they do it well as described, I might even buy one!

There is very few reasons (other than power supply isolation and a few other factors) that data-mode playback of CDs can't equal stored file playback. And I for one often wish I could just shove a new disc in and enjoy it. Don't even care about meta-data retrieval since I have eyes and can look at the jewel case or booklet to see the name of track number 5 or whatever.

"It only plays CDs guys..."  "Oh, and I wont be using it to play CDs"

No electron left behind.

We have many criteria for sound quality. One aspect I've found lowly CDs to beat file-based playback is leading edge dynamics, in my system. Annoying!

The one thing I have long and am still currently experiencing is that the power supplies of the digital signal path are critical. Jason and company don't seem to be true believers in the "last mile" of power, unfortunately. 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, Superdad said:

Come on guys, it really is not that hard to guess what Schiit transport will have and do:

• CD-ROM data mode playback of CDs (as opposed to variable speed EFM, Eight-to-fourteen modulation);
  • 100Mbps RJ45 copper Ethernet "input" for playing PCM files. Network/endpoint player/software protocol unknown, but you can be sure they will try to make it as compatible as possible with popular desktop player client user interfaces (iTunes, Roon, JRiver, DLNA/UPnP, whatever) as Schiit has zero interest in becoming a software company.
  • USB out to a DAC. The trick here, and clearly what they have said they are working on now is to get their USB host s/w (which will be flashed into their PIC32 at power-on) to be as UAC2 compliant as possible so they can be more broadly compatible with non-Unison USB DACs such as typical XMOS, etc.  Expect firmware updates to be required once they have a thousand units in the field.

Those of who who imagine anything significantly more elaborate than the above don't know Schiit. 9_9

If they do it well as described, I might even buy one!

There is very few reasons (other than power supply isolation and a few other factors) that data-mode playback of CDs can't equal stored file playback. And I for one often wish I could just shove a new disc in and enjoy it. Don't even care about meta-data retrieval since I have eyes and can look at the jewel case or booklet to see the name of track number 5 or whatever.

I am "EXTREMELY" surprised you think it will have an enet port??  What gives you that idea?  Sounds like insider trading to  me??  I have never known Mike for including ENET on any past products??  This certainly is welcome news if true, but "I HIGHLY DOUBT IT" unless you have heard something from whispers??  Very curious as to why you would think it would have an enet port????

PCM only, for sure...and I am ok with that these days....In past I would have never considered something that didn't support DSD, but with little knowledge I "think" I have gained, I am actually leaning more back toward PCM these days.  If it has ENET, and under $1K I am a buyer for sure....i only hope my belief that you are very wrong is incorrect and that you have heard something through the grapevine, and that it indeed has enet, but i won't get my hopes up on that one.

On 6/8/2020 at 10:11 PM, feelingears said:

We have many criteria for sound quality. One aspect I've found lowly CDs to beat file-based playback is leading edge dynamics, in my system. Annoying!

The one thing I have long and am still currently experiencing is that the power supplies of the digital signal path are critical. Jason and company don't seem to be true believers in the "last mile" of power, unfortunately. 

in my thinking power "shouldn't be that critical based on the suggested fact that DACS receive their bits accurately and even if they didn't it wouldn't be an subtle change in SQ, but a dropout.  A competent DAC design should be able to provide their own reference voltage, isolate usb noise, and reclock the "near perfect bits"....not to mention the final output is "wave shaped"....but i am still "open"  to accept any "logical" reasoning someone can debate with me that differ from my own views...

If a DAC gets the bits near perfectly, and the only function of the dac is to shape those bits into an accurate analog waveform out, then the DAC is not doing it's job if it cannot compensate for noise.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, Superdad said:

• 100Mbps RJ45 copper Ethernet "input" for playing PCM files. Network/endpoint player/software protocol unknown, but you can be sure they will try to make it as compatible as possible with popular desktop player client user interfaces (iTunes, Roon, JRiver, DLNA/UPnP, whatever) as Schiit has zero interest in becoming a software

inre client user interface, you mention jriver as separate than DLNA...does jriver have a network protocol different than DLNA?

DLNA has issues, and I have always wondered if there were any other windows based players that supported enet that wasn't DLNA?  I know roon and hqplayer have their own proprietary, but curious if there any other windows mainstream network players besides DLNA?

It sure would be nice if you could just operate a music player from a web browser that didn't have the misgivings of DLNA?

36 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

inre client user interface, you mention jriver as separate than DLNA...does jriver have a network protocol different than DLNA?

DLNA has issues, and I have always wondered if there were any other windows based players that supported enet that wasn't DLNA?  I know roon and hqplayer have their own proprietary, but curious if there any other windows mainstream network players besides DLNA?

It sure would be nice if you could just operate a music player from a web browser that didn't have the misgivings of DLNA?

Aurender can stream to its own zones using an Aurender ACS and Aurender servers. This uses robust file sharing protocol CIFS behind the scenes. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Aurender can stream to its own zones using an Aurender ACS and Aurender servers. This uses robust file sharing protocol CIFS behind the scenes. 

Thanks for this tidbit...i would probably be willing to budget up to $1k for a streamer (which is why i got excited about superdad's belief Schiit will provide an enet port), and I know that aurender is out of my budget, but it got me googling "CIFS WEB MUSIC PLAYER" and so far i have found samba for android....will keep looking...maybe some day my concepts will come to fruition.

A web player that uses this "CIFS" sounds "groovy".

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

PS- did you like the interface?  Roon sounds like good concept, but sounds bloated and doesn't allow file browsing, and requires subscription.....

46 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I love Aurender and use it every day. 

Is it your main method for critical listening?

I would have thought roon w/hqplayer engine would have been?

PS, i know you have to keep all the vendors happy, so would understand if you can't answer (grin)