IGNORED

Help me create a Coronavirus playlist that could go viral

When I saw "Morning Dew" I expected Bonnie Dobson!

The ominous "All fall down" refrain of Graham Nash's "Grave Concern" has long lurked in my mind resonant (eponymously so to speak) of "All fall down" in the Nursery Rhyme "Ring a Ring o' Roses". That last Wiki entry argues against Great Plague (1665/6) roots for "Roses"; however, being an ostensible subjectivist and a marginal baby boomer (b.1962) I prefer to cleave to what I assimilated as a juvenile - no matter what I am told by internet or other authorities. (Reportedly Nash wrote Grave Concern about Washington during Watergate and, so, one could I suppose look to any impeachment apocalypse instead.) To keep me optimistic (I think it was to stop me moaning) my sister gave me the book "Factfulness" by the Swedish optimist Hans Rosling. I am no epidemiologist but what I recall from the book's graphs are: 1. Disease blips such as for The Black Death are not difficult to discern on graphs of human population; 2. Forecasts of human population are counter-intuitive for most people - with formal estimates reckoning on a peak some time soon (decades); and, 3. That peak has to do with trends in economic and cultural factors rather than catastrophic disruption by pandemic.

Thank Goodness for that. I conclude that Wuhan will not be coming to my town.

Dr. Scott, I'll suggest a line nearer asking us to consume a live Fieldmouse and/or The Bats "Calm Before the Storm" would've been a much wittier and abrupt preamble to unleashing your scientific bent upon the playlist. 

Deadheads gonna Deadhead

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

You are aware that this virus is on it’s way to being a repeat of the1918 “Spanish Flu” which killed millions world-wide. Predictions are that this Coronavirus will kill millions as well. Not a laughing matter!

I absolute agree that it ain't funny at all to use such topic.  Likewise I will not find a topic such as 911 celebration amusing.

MetalNuts

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

this virus will not be a repeat of the 1918 “Spanish Flu” 

whether there can be humor or not in grim times is a different question

I hope you’re right, but the CDC has been saying for decades that it’s just a matter of time before another flu pandemic like the 1918 fracas hits again. Their predictions are that this one is shaping up to be just that type of flu. It’s airborne, and each virii has a protein shell around it which protects it and keeps it viable and virulent for weeks or months. 

George

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

this virus will not be a repeat of the 1918 “Spanish Flu” 

whether there can be humor or not in grim times is a different question

Maybe, if you stick your head deep enough in the sand, the virus won’t find you. But they’re dropping like flies in China, more cases are popping up world-wide and efforts to contain the disease don’t seem to be working. 
Also, if you take prescription drugs, especially those vital to life or continued good health, you’d best get a good 90 day supply now. Many of the chemicals used by pharmaceutical companies to make these drugs come from China, and when those supplies either dry-up, or are not allowed to be imported due to a flu-related embargo, you might not be able to get the drugs you need..

Oh, and don’t buy anything from these Chinese retailers you find on E-bay or from sites like DHGate or Alibaba or AliExpress. If you already have an order being delivered, it is being suggested that you don’t open the box for at least 90 days. Remember, the virus is protected by a protein shell and can survive for months.

21 minutes ago, mansr said:

Got a link to where they say a pandemic comparable to the Spanish Flu is imminent?

They don’t say imminent, they say inevitable. This flu epidemic is shaping up to be that pandemic event. How it will play-out eventually, of course, is unknown, and only time will tell, but the prudent among us will take all possible precautions. But keep in mind that the CDC also thought that the Swine Flu from the 1970’s was the pandemic that they have been predicting, and they turned out to be wrong because the virus mutated into something that was no longer dangerous to humans. Let’s hope this one does too. Again, only time will tell. 

George

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Nope.  And comparison to the 1918 pandemic is not warranted in any specific way.  Post a specific link if you have one.

I suspect you are simply mis-interpreting what CDC does say.

If I am, or if I’m not misinterpreting the CDC warnings, we’ll certainly find out eventually, won’t we?

George