IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 1/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, JohnSwenson said:

The only "anti vibration" platforms, footers etc., you can get that actually attenuate seismic noise are roller bearings. They actually work and work very well. Everything else only works on higher frequency noise.

Hi John! Do you think stands such as Finite and Chinese maglev or even that will be effective in combating vibrations below 10 Hz?

On 1/30/2023 at 1:02 AM, JohnSwenson said:

The only "anti vibration" platforms, footers etc., you can get that actually attenuate seismic noise are roller bearings. They actually work and work very well. Everything else only works on higher frequency noise.

My preferred way of doing this is a half in thick aluminum slab on top of roller bearings, with the equipment that has really low noise clocks sitting on top.  The ones I use are from Ingress Engineering, their prices are good and they work extremely well.

There is on tradeoff with these platforms, it has to be able to freely "roll". This means no stiff cables, either power or signal going to any of the equipment on that platform. Forget about "garden hose" cables. I personally use DIY cables that are very flexible and limp.

I can certainly say that putting Symposium RollerBall Jr's, with the Tungsten ball upgrade, resting on Symposium Fat Padz, made quite the positive audible difference under my DAC, and my stand already had vibration isolation. Possibly a whole lot less money than an expensive stand, depending on how many components need isolation from seismic noise. Though I would underscore that while the Fat Padz made a small difference, the upgrade from the stock balls to the Tungsten balls was a significant bump in SQ.

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbie’s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2’s (no stock PS’s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.

On 1/30/2023 at 2:02 PM, JohnSwenson said:

What about springs?

Townsend for example.

A business here down under supplies springs that are tuned to 3Hz.

8 hours ago, dbastin said:

What about springs?

Well @JohnSwensonhas been fantasizing for years about our building miniature Euler springs for the ultimate suspension--of circuit boards, whole components, turntables, speakers, whatever.  He could regale you for hours about the benefits of Eulers versus just about every other vibration suspension system. 9_9

Hi! Barrows,

We have some very highy quality ceramic (SiN) which can be benefit for high sensitive devices. 

image.thumb.png.4294aa15a77de1a0d5f84dcac9ff82ef.png

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

Ok so I can see the benefits of the fiber, unfortunately not with the 60.00 that I threw away on this setup to try. 
So what’s is the most part of the equation? Converter? LPS? Fiber cable?, transceiver?

is the ADOT Kit the way to go ?

Thanks

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

7 hours ago, russellbobby said:

Ok so I can see the benefits of the fiber, unfortunately not with the 60.00 that I threw away on this setup to try. 
So what’s is the most part of the equation? Converter? LPS? Fiber cable?, transceiver?

is the ADOT Kit the way to go ?

Thanks

Russ

I ordered a IFI Power X.  Guess start with power. Sure an LPS is the way to go but looking to stay out of another expensive rabbit hole. :)

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

59 minutes ago, russellbobby said:

I ordered a IFI Power X.  Guess start with power. Sure an LPS is the way to go but looking to stay out of another expensive rabbit hole. :)

I'm using a TP-Link MC220L with single mode Finisar SFP's, into an EtherRegen. I consider this an interim solution. I'm not sure so far whether the ADOT is a clear improvement over a generic. Frankly it looks pretty generic, and no clock upgrade. I don't intend to do anything before the new EtherRegen comes out. 

I have four linear power boxes in my main system. Fortunately there's room them, but not for another. The desk that holds my network gear, OTOH, has no room underneath for another box. I did the same thing as you, I'm using the iPower X for my new FMC, which is a clear upgrade from the standard iPower SMPS. I've found that grounding is an improvement, as outlined by John Swenson in this post:

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

50 minutes ago, Superdad said:

100% generic, rebranding of some $20 FMC. See that oval can?  That's a $0.25 crystal, not even an actual oscillator XO. 

About the biggest money-grab fraud I seen in a long time.

(Pic is right from here so it can be seen that I am posting the $400 ADOT Fiber Kit: https://signals.uk.com/product/adot-mc-fibre-network-kit/)

adot_mc-fibre-network-kit_square04.thumb.jpg.6e2ddf67d76ee1a29cb698004376b35f.jpg

OMG, what the heck...  BTW, there are much better options available, for a true, made for high end audio, FMC, for nearly the same cost,  Wow!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 2/4/2023 at 3:35 PM, Superdad said:

100% generic, rebranding of some $20 FMC. See that oval can?  That's a $0.25 crystal, not even an actual oscillator XO. 

About the biggest money-grab fraud I seen in a long time.

(Pic is right from here so it can be seen that I am posting the $400 ADOT Fiber Kit: https://signals.uk.com/product/adot-mc-fibre-network-kit/)

Wow.  It's so rare to see advertisements depicting the innards of audio gear that it's especially weird to see someone go open kimono to expose how little "there" is there.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

11 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The bearings are ridding in a "dish" with very steep sides, and this produces a resonance way too high for being effective for seismic noise.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, russellbobby said:

So I installed an iFi  i Power X on the 10Gtek Converter. Actually listenable right out of my cold Michigan mailbox. Anybody who questions the validity of a power supply on sonics can easily hear the difference compared to the throw in supplied with the converter. I can see anyone that listens with the stock supply would pull it right out of their system.

First time trying fiber and it is a nice perk of the EtherRegen saves on another converter and power supply.

So please tell me the optjc cables dont make a difference? I am a firm believer in cables, but no nothing about fiber.  I am using a FCD  cable. $ 14.00 on Amazon.  I don't mind spending a few bucks on a cable or even a different converter. Is it worth it to jump right to a Sonore ?  Why waste money getting there if its where you are going to end up anyways:)  

Thanks for the advice,

Russ

My research said to go with single-mode Corning glass cable and Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFP. 

There are many recommendations for the Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFP+, as well as a Group Buy. I have all 1Gb gear and didn't want any compatibility issues, so went with the SFP, not 10Gb SFP+.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

12 hours ago, russellbobby said:

So please tell me the optic cables dont make a difference? I am a firm believer in cables, but no nothing about fiber.

Well, it seems the fibre optic cable itself can make a difference, perhaps only small.

The SFP modules can make probably a bigger difference.

The devices (FMC/switch) specs matter too, SFP+/10GB can be quite an improvement.