IGNORED

Bits is bits?

3 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Simply, USB cables cannot affect 'sounstage' unless one includes the 'soundstage' effect from sales literature, pretty packaging, and clueless/dishonest sales people or sales information.

John

I disagree .

RF/EMI and noise induced from the +5V SMPS into D+ and D- , as well as external RF /FD/EMI can affect Soundstage just the same as distortion etc. in a non decoded Dolby A recording that has had EQ to try and overcome the problem.

A higher  quality USB cable can't improve the recording, but it can help to prevent further degradation of the audio.

I have heard the effects of less than optimum USB implementation through some very high quality systems, and the added " graininess" right across the whole soundstage is damn annoying.

Neither does an Audiophile need to fully understand how something works to decide whether a musical recording is high quality or not, any more than he need to read Engineering textbooks by Henry Ott or others  to decide whether a design sounds good or bad.

The ears are the final arbiter of how something sounds, not instrument measurements unless they are abysmal, or how a waveform looks in an audio editing program.,

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

13 minutes ago, DonaldT2109 said:

On here you , and on the manufacturers sites and on the reviews, a couple of which I quoted earlier.

All claiming that these special cables can change the audio encoded in the bitstream passing over it

You and others are claiming that the magic cables can also do that

That's absolute BS. I have never claimed that a special or high quality cable can improve what's on the recording. They can only help to prevent further degradation.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

John

I disagree .

RF/EMI and noise induced from the +5V SMPS into D+ and D- , as well as external RF /FD/EMI can affect Soundstage just the same as distortion etc. in a non decoded Dolby A recording that has had EQ to try and overcome the problem.

A higher  quality USB cable can't improve the recording, but it can help to prevent further degradation of the audio.

I have heard the effects of less than optimum USB implementation through some very high quality systems, and the added " graininess" right across the whole soundstage is damn annoying.

Neither does an Audiophile need to fully understand how something works to decide whether a musical recording is high quality or not, any more than he need to read Engineering textbooks by Henry Ott or others  to decide whether a design sounds good or bad.

The ears are the final arbiter of how something sounds, not instrument measurements unless they are abysmal, or how a waveform looks in an audio editing program.,

Regards

Alex

Okay, think about this...  You have a digital signal (USB) that is unmodified by the cable.  A pretty cable that is expensive/has more shielding will NOT sound any different than the cable that is simply adequate.  Both produce the same digital signal results, and the signal is then decoded to produce the desired analog.   USB and the protocols used above it do not modify the signal (well, there are modes that can drop packets, but protocols can hide that.)

If there IS a noise propagation issue, it comes entirely from shielding and noise currents, and as such it is actually possible that a more completely shielded cable for general use can make the situation worse.   These shielding and noise current issues come entirely from the analog domain, and would be caused by inadequate design in the digital to analog conversion mechanism.

If cabling makes a difference at that level, then there is an analog design problem in the receiving side -- and that is NOT good.   We can tweak our equipment to work around failures elsewhere all of the time, but there really shouldn't be a need to need a 'better' digital transport unless it is really faulty.

There are simply no timing differences between cables either -- unless there is a *REAL* problem.

John

4 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Once a reliable connection is established, and digital errors don't creep in, then things are as good as they will become.

You do not need  digital errors to change the sound where there is RF/EMI going along for the ride as well.

3 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

If there IS a noise propagation issue, it comes entirely from shielding and noise currents, and as such it is actually possible that a more completely shielded cable for general use can make the situation worse.

John

I don't need to think about it. I have been playing around in the USB  area for more than 10 years now, including using a C.R.O to look at the actual waveforms, and  have seen on  the C.R.O the effects of the noisy SMPS +5V on the signal, as well a  lower level Data signal appearing on the +5V lead as well.  The actual +5V at the USB device can jump around by several hundred mV as well

e,g, (assuming the link still works)

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/13905-continuing-pursuit-of-power-supply-improvements-and-improved-dac-performance/

Agreed about shielding , but it may also markedly improve the performance as reported here by numerous members.

As far as I am concerned , the best USB cable is NO USB cable, just a high quality impedance matched Adaptor to plug the DAC into

E.E. George Graves is correct in stating that poorly implemented USB audio sounds shitty, even in comparison with Toslink.

Regards

Alex

aGREED, BU

26 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You do not need  digital errors to change the sound where there is RF/EMI going along for the ride as well.

Okay, I see where you are getting at...

Of course, if the receiving side has a serious design/layout problem (in todays world, should not really happen), then a cable that better protects the analog environment for the subsequent D/A conversion might be helpful.  That is less 'soundstage' and more 'noise' issue, and shouldn't really happen on anything near premium quality equipment.   That might be more of a boombox or cheap cellphone issue (actually, such noise issues should not be likely on cellphone since they require extremely competent analog design!!!) 

There ARE individuals who we correspond with whose equipment might be affected by 'digital cable noise' issues, but those are work arounds because of inferior or problematic design.   I will definitely accept in those cases, that cabling differences (including moving the cable around because of slight capacitance changes) can make a 'difference' when impedances are all messed up... :-).  The analog mess can then infiltrate the receiving (and even sending) circuitry -- I sure hope that doesn't happen very often :-).

Bad impedance matches can make all kinds of noise problems through a system, but hopefully the design has considered those issues.  Thinking about the snake-oil being sold nowadays, maybe the designers are more focused on nebulous non-existent problems rather than simple, good design?

So, yes, in the specific example of incomplete considerations in the associated analog hardware design, the cable can make a difference.   But, as I noted above, even moving a perfectly shielded cable can have consequences when the analog interfaces are not reasonably well designed.

You know, I sometimes use a stripped piece of coax as a TV antenna -- works great in this digital world...   As long as the signal is strong enough and the multipath isn't extreme (we use ATSC here, not a COFDM derivative like most other countries)*, a simple piece of stripped coax produces  exactly the same audio/video as a fancy outside antenna.   This cabling matter is similar...   But, again, there are definitely cases where there can be unexpected issues.

* COFDM is more robust WRT multipath than 8VSB, but technology has narrowed the gap except in the case of mobile.  But, there is a slight SNR and payload vs bandwidth advantage with 8VSB.   For practical purposes nowadays, both are probably past their peak.  The stripped coax work-around is actually better in the COFDM world than in 8VSB, but it even works well here...  Amazing...  (Better than moving the rabbit ears to avoid severe ghosting.)

Back when I made LOTS of money, I would very likely purchase more expensive cables than actually needed -- but I spent LOTS of money wastefully back then.  So, I cannot claim that someone might not feel better with nicer cabling...  The color of cabling is important to my Mom (if she tolerates it at all).

John

10 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Okay, I see where you are getting at...

Of course, if the receiving side has a serious design/layout problem (in todays world, should not really happen), then a cable that better protects the analog environment for the subsequent D/A conversion might be helpful.  That is less 'soundstage' and more 'noise' issue, and shouldn't really happen on anything near premium quality equipment.   That might be more of a boombox or cheap cellphone issue (actually, such noise issues should not be likely on cellphone since they require extremely competent analog design!!!) 

There ARE individuals who we correspond with whose equipment might be affected by 'cable noise' issues, but those are work arounds because of inferior or problematic design.   I will definitely accept in those cases, that cabling differences (including moving the cable around because of slight capacitance changes) can make a 'difference' when impedances are all messed up... :-).  The analog mess can then infiltrate the receiving (and even sending) circuitry -- I sure hope that doesn't happen very often :-).

Bad impedance matches can make all kinds of noise problems through a system, but hopefully the design has considered those issues.  Thinking about the snake-oil being sold nowadays, maybe the designers are more focused on nebulous non-existent problems rather than simple, good design?

So, yes, in the specific example of incomplete considerations in the associated analog hardware design, the cable can make a difference.   But, as I noted above, even moving a perfectly shielded cable can have consequences when the analog interfaces are not reasonably well designed.

You know, I sometimes use a stripped piece of coax as a TV antenna -- works great in this digital world...   As long as the signal is strong enough and the multipath isn't extreme (we use ATSC here, not a COFDM derivative like most other countries)*, a simple piece of stripped coax produces  exactly the same audio/video as a fancy outside antenna.   This cabling matter is similar...   But, again, there are definitely cases where there can be unexpected issues.

* COFDM is more robust WRT multipath than 8VSB, but technology has narrowed the gap except in the case of mobile.  But, there is a slight SNR and payload vs bandwidth advantage with 8VSB.   For practical purposes nowadays, both are probably past their peak.

Back when I made LOTS of money, I would very likely purchase more expensive cables than actually needed -- but I spent LOTS of money wastefully back then.  So, I cannot claim that someone might not feel better with nicer cabling...  The color of cabling is important to my Mom (if she tolerates it at all).

John

John

Not even all HDMI cables perform the same. A couple that I have cause severe degradation of UHF HDTV reception due to spurious UHF radiation from the cable to my PC monitor to a necessarily close by  indoor antenna, This has been shown to be due to an internal pig tail earth side connection .

Alex

HDMI RF-EMI.jpg

38 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That's absolute BS. I have never claimed that a special or high quality cable can improve what's on the recording. They can only help to prevent further degradation.

Many do though... There are long threads where the discussion is almost exclusively how playing with a cable has a noticeable effect on the resultant analogue, the USB cable comparison thread comes to mind.

12 minutes ago, sandyk said:

John

Not even all HDMI cables perform the same. A couple that I have cause severe degradation of UHF HDTV reception due to spurious UHF radiation in the cable to my PC monitor to a necessarily close by  indoor antenna, This has been shown to be due to an internal pig tail earth side connection .

Alex

Here, you are talking about EMI side-effects...  I used to have a computer that blanked out all TV reception in my house and noise within a few houses of where I lived (back before serious FCC EMI control), but it didn't affect the results on the computer.

There ARE interference issues, and that is part of the design decision to purchase a cable.   I didn't realize that we would be focused on the secondary matters other than audio quality.    In those cases, it is better to use a cable that works around any problems.  If there are serious sensitivities regarding cabling, it becomes a problem similar to AC power noise matters...   Isolation devices might be appropriate.

If a problem is related to subtle impedance (audio noise infiltration) and radiation issues, then the 'quality' of a cable isn't quite as important as the behavior of that cable being compatible for the application.  That is a very different situation, and when we have those kinds of problems beyond minor EMI type things, then it is time to return to the manufacturer for design correction or the standards bodies to get the standard improved.

I do understand what you are talking about now -- but in the case you describe, it is almost impossible to resolve simply using a generally better cable, then you would be looking for a specific cable resulting from an exhaustive search that better matches a given piece of hardware.  That gets into the domain of tweakiness, and shows a problem that is simply not within the realm of consumer solvable.   Back in my design days  -- I would suggest 'needing a design reconsideration.'

John

5 minutes ago, marce said:

Many do though... There are long threads where the discussion is almost exclusively how playing with a cable has a noticeable effect on the resultant analogue, the USB cable comparison thread comes to mind.

That is EXACTLY the kind of discussion that I fear...   There can be audio noise infiltration issues, but hopefully those don't happen very often, and don't happen at all on competent and standards compliant wiring and equipment.

John

14 minutes ago, sandyk said:

John

Not even all HDMI cables perform the same. A couple that I have cause severe degradation of UHF HDTV reception due to spurious UHF radiation from the cable to my PC monitor to a necessarily close by  indoor antenna, This has been shown to be due to an internal pig tail earth side connection .

Alex

HDMI RF-EMI.jpg

Then the cable is not to standard and is a bad design, plenty of info out there on using pig tails and how RF screening needs to be 360 degrees to work properly.

5 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

I do understand what you are talking about now -- but in the case you describe, it is almost impossible to resolve simply using a generally better cable, then you would be looking for a specific cable resulting from an exhaustive search that better matches a given piece of hardware.  That gets into the domain of tweakiness, and shows a problem that is simply not within the realm of consumer solvable.   Back in my design days  -- I would suggest 'needing a design reconsideration.'

Nope. In this case the solution for me was to swap the better designed HDMI cable that came with my Oppo 103 with the offending cable (s)

Perhaps we do need a tightening up of some cable specifications though ?

G'night from Sydney Au.

46 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Oooops    many apolagies Sandy.    

I confused you with the whole bunch of people on here that claim it can improve as in " The soundstage is large with excellent width and depth"

2 minutes ago, marce said:

Then the cable is not to standard and is a bad design, plenty of info out there on using pig tails and how RF screening needs to be 360 degrees to work properly.

PLEASE do not tell us to look at books from Henry Ott and others again though.:P

Audiophiles do not need to know this, and they rely on having competently designed  gear by experienced designers, which is apparently not always the case.

3 minutes ago, DonaldT2109 said:

Oooops    many apolagies Sandy.    

I confused you with the whole bunch of people on here that claim it can improve as in " The soundstage is large with excellent width and depth"

That was exactly the context of my own discussion.  I got confused WRT the noise issue getting picked up -- probably because I mentioned that the noise can be a problem in-extremis (not a normal issue -- hopefully!!! :-)) when describing the possible problems.  'Soundstage' is far far out of the ballpark, bordering on fantasy.

John

24 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Now you have done it Sandy

All the cable manufacturers will now tell us that we need a $2000 cable to get better terrestrial television reception  !!!!    😀

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Nope. In this case the solution for me was to swap the better designed HDMI cable that came with my Oppo 103 with the offending cable (s)

Perhaps we do need a tightening up of some cable specifications though ?

G'night from Sydney Au.

The cable and cable interfacing quality issue seems to be the issue that we ended up discussing...  YES -- if the radiation/impedance matching/noise transmission is a problem, then there is a basic design issue...   Is it a standards issue, or a quality control problem in the product?  I cannot answer that.

Frankly, knowing what goes into the standards processes with lots of very smart engineers in their specific fields, My first guess that noise issues are suboptimal design quality on the wire/connector or even the interface electronics themselves.   The standards might have been too loose, but certain kinds of analog design quality are tricky to properly specify.  It isn't as simple as bit error rates, but has so many dimensions that it requires very expert engineers to do the interface designs, qualify the connectors and of course -- all of the cable issues along with that.   RFI issues require more than a guy/gal sitting in front of a workbench doing a cool design -- requires another layer or two of design expertise -- RFI/EMC qualification is one issue that started decreasing my interest in commercial/professional EE design.   I ended up being an 'answer person' instead of someone who takes responsibility for design -- the fun has been progressively taken away from us.   EMI/EMC are important issues, but so very unpleasant to deal with.  All of the EMI qualification has eventually helped us step up to these GHz frequencies being moved around nowadays -- and requires true experts in layout (ad-hoc layouts are not adequate any more.)  

Truly, as 'consumers', we don't want to get too tweaky -- audio stuff is already tweaky enough.   I didn't realize that there were problems with USB cable&interface design quality, it should be open and closed...  The theory is so well understood -- gotta be bean counters making engineering decisions, probably the same kind of people that originally specified (my informal allegation) that DolbyA decoding wasn' t really needed.  (With my DolbyA hat on, tweaky is okay but undesirable -- that is a very different thing for sure.)

With whatever noise infiltration issues that might exist, why isn't the audiophile press actually looking at these REAL matters.   I don't think that it is actually much of problem except when there is excessive cost reduction or poor design decision, but still much more important than the 'problem' supposedly solved by MQA...  In fact, MQA causes MORE problems than it solves.  Stuff is already complex enough -- wrt the matters associated with cabling, which should NOT be a problem at all (except, IMO, quality control and cost reduction issues.)  

John

32 minutes ago, sandyk said:

PLEASE do not tell us to look at books from Henry Ott and others again though.:P

Audiophiles do not need to know this, and they rely on having competently designed  gear by experienced designers, which is apparently not always the case.

Ignorance is bliss...

22 minutes ago, mansr said:

Why not? He seems a hell of a lot more trustworthy than, say, John Swenson or Ted Denney.

It does seem that only information that supports the true believers ideology is worth reading however flawed it is, such as dielectric absorption being a mechanism by which DC cables can sound different! Of course this will only work with high frequency DC😁

Just now, marce said:

It does seem that only information that supports the true believers ideology is worth reading however flawed it is, such as dielectric absorption being a mechanism by which DC cables can sound different! Of course this will only work with high frequency DC😁

“High frequency DC”! I’m glad we can still invent new things in a field that’s been studied and well documented for many decades ;)