IGNORED

Bits is bits?

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

I think you may get somewhere if you pause to actually read what is being said instead of automatically jumping into an argument. Your question has been answered many times in this thread, by @esldude, myself, @Miska and others. Why you keep insisting on asking for an explanation of an effect that everyone agrees doesn’t exist is beyond me.

Speak for yourself.

There are a vast number of members who do hear these differences, and are often willing to spend almost obscene $$$ to obtain worthwhile improvements. You only need to look at the Lush thread in the General area of the forum to realise this.

N.B.

I am not suggesting that Peter's Lush2 cables cost an obscene amount of the hard earned (in most cases)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, DonaldT2109 said:

What I now need to know is how does the Audioquest Diamond instruct the DAC to convert back to audio the exact same digital stream that my cheap cable delivered but this time with "extreme smoothness in the midrange and high end that at the same time, is detailed and very revealing"   ??

Then, why don't you ask the person who said they observed this effect?

https://www.audiostream.com/content/usb-cable-shootout

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Just now, DonaldT2109 said:

This person could not possibly have heard this effect.  I just showed you that        goog grief

I agree with you but that isn't the point I was making.

4 hours ago, DonaldT2109 said:

Back to the matter in hand....       USB Audio

I am willing to learn, maybe I am wrong. So I would like you to explain soething to me

Let's say that I want to play my 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC of 'Take 5'  (superb BTW)
I play to USB on my Linux system bypassing any EQ or otherwise. Bits from file sent to USB 'as is'

If I use, for example, the Audioquest Diamond, will I acheive bit for bit transport of the digital stream being sent by my USB port to my DAC.   
i.e     will the DAC see the same digital stream that was presented to my USB port

(I am guessing yes, otherwise the cable would be totally useless because with my current 'cheap' cable the answer is yes)

but please confirm YES or NO         (just yes or no for now please, no drifting into clocks and jitter and other stuff    )

This was already answered by Miska. 

Yes, with USB the DAC will decode 0s and 1s as send. 

However, that is not the end of the story... 

There are not many people who understand and can explain the way interference affects the performance of a DAC, so we are left to testing and listening. But there are not many systems that one can use as a reference/bemchmark. 

I don't think you are going to find answers here. When the miracle product comes out that solves all the issues with digital audio, you'll hear about it.

Until then, whever someone incorrectly explains the effect of swapping two usb cables does not matter. Claiming something is an improvement when it is not does not disprove the premise that there are issues with digital audio and its not all about bits...

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Alex, I suggest you also read what is being said instead of automatically reacting. Mr DonaldT wanted an answer on how bits are changed by the usb cable. They are not, if the cable is not broken. Do we agree?

That we can agree on, and the answer has already been  given by yourself and others several times already, but he keeps ignoring them.

I am now getting to the point of not only just skimming through his Trolling replies, but not reading them at all.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I agree with you but that isn't the point I was making.

I know that kumakuma but , what seems like a million years ago, I just pointed out that it waa impossible for the Audioquest Diamond to  with "extreme smoothness in the midrange and high end that at the same time, is detailed and very revealing"  or any USB cable to make similar 'enhancements' such as the Curious cable to give  "extreme smoothness in the midrange and high end that at the same time, is detailed and very revealing"       This is IMPOSSIBLE

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I am now getting to the point of not only just skimming through his Trolling replies, but not reading them at all.

That's a good start, Alex. Before too long, you might even progress to taking advantage of the Ignore List. :)

Regards,

Allan

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That we can agree on, and the answer has already been  given by yourself and others several times already, but he keeps ignoring them.

This coming from the master troller !!!!!!!  ( I suppose you will deny that and just throw another insult)

Again, I am not ignoring them  Nobody has yet conceded it. Come on everybody you can say it    " USB cables can not alter the audio running over USB"   But apparantly so many people can hear the difference.  If you bothered to read the start of this thread you will find a lot of them

4 minutes ago, DonaldT2109 said:

I know that kumakuma but , what seems like a million years ago, I just pointed out that it waa impossible for the Audioquest Diamond to  with "extreme smoothness in the midrange and high end that at the same time, is detailed and very revealing"  or any USB cable to make similar 'enhancements' such as the Curious cable to give  "extreme smoothness in the midrange and high end that at the same time, is detailed and very revealing"       This is IMPOSSIBLE

Yes, and many of the people here agree with you. 

3 minutes ago, DonaldT2109 said:

What seems impossible, is for you to realise that audible distortion, unwanted and discernible anomalies can "creep into" a playback chain via a whole suite of poor implementation and design weaknesses - the "extreme smoothness, ... etc" is merely the sound of the source material with less "damage" done to it - this  is a path some people choose, to get closer to what the recording actually contains, rather than a version adulterated by playback deficiencies.

13 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I don't think you are going to find answers here. When the miracle product comes out that solves all the issues with digital audio, you'll hear about it.

The "miracle product" was always around, from the very start of the digital era - it's called, "high levels of attention to detail" ;) ... but, it's hard to make a quick quid out of this, difficult to stick into a box and put on a retailer's shelf ... so, there's at least some chance it may never, ever pop up ... 😜.

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

- the "extreme smoothness, ... etc" is merely the sound of the source material with less "damage" done to it

The Audioquest cable delivered exactly the same bits to the DAC as the cheap cable.  There was no damage to the bitstream. They will both sound exactly the same as  the recording.

- the "extreme smoothness, ... etc" is the reviewer earning his kick-back. How can every single reviewer of the Audioquest Diamond have  'heard' differently ?

4 minutes ago, DonaldT2109 said:

1. The Audioquest cable delivered exactly the same bits to the DAC as the cheap cable. 

2. There was no damage to the bitstream.

3. They will both sound exactly the same as  the recording.

4. - the "extreme smoothness, ... etc" is the reviewer earning his kick-back. How can every single reviewer of the Audioquest Diamond have  'heard' differently ?

1, 2, 4 = True

3= Maybe

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

That would be cool, even better if it were successful.

we are hopeful as they will have to eventualy conceed that their ridiculously priced cables do no more than generic with proper specs The ones we are going for are the USBs, HDMIs and the even more  ludicrously priced Ethernet cables, all of which do the square root of nothing other than pass the signal

2 minutes ago, DonaldT2109 said:

The Audioquest cable delivered exactly the same bits to the DAC as the cheap cable.  There was no damage to the bitstream. They will both sound exactly the same as  the recording.

giphy.gif