IGNORED

Bits is bits?

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

“High frequency DC”! I’m glad we can still invent new things in a field that’s been studied and well documented for many decades ;)

Read it on post #594 of this thread and another thread to do with USB cables...

1 hour ago, Miska said:

High frequency DC is why I use ferrite beads on my DC cables... ;) 

In fact the medical grade ~25 EUR Mean Well PSUs I use (5V DC, 6A) have both shielded cable and ferrite bead. Unlike the cheaper 10 EUR options...

IMG_20191015_160950-s.thumb.jpg.85c04137ee6097cba911ea8da140b002.jpg

#594 of this thread, its how USB works apparently.....

1 hour ago, Miska said:

There is some amount of misunderstanding here. We are talking about two separate things.

Some fascinating stuff Miska but I asked for just one thing

How does a USB cable change the sound of the audio that has been digitised like some people believe is possible.

No takers so far.   I wonder why?     :)

Perhaps they have all conceded that it is plain impossible

1 hour ago, Miska said:

(2) completely and independently bypasses the data path. It doesn't require any data to be transmitted and unless excessive, doesn't affect data transfer itself. But it tends to affect clocks, D/A conversion part and other analog parts of the DAC - this is where the crossing from digital to analog happens and this is where the electronics are sensitive to noises at levels down to -140 dB or so.

And should be and can be covered during the design phase and layout... 

1 minute ago, marce said:

I have asked this question for years... Many years no answer, just random noise...

It started with a lot of people telling me that I am wrong. But after I started breaking down their illogical and flawed reasoning as well as their 'gifted amateur' explanations of how digital USB works,     it has all gone very quiet

I am actually waiting for another blast as I have a two questions. which together will absolutely prove the nonsense of these snake oil products

50 minutes ago, DonaldT2109 said:

It started with a lot of people telling me that I am wrong. But after I started breaking down their illogical and flawed reasoning as well as their 'gifted amateur' explanations of how digital USB works,     it has all gone very quiet

I am actually waiting for another blast as I have a two questions. which together will absolutely prove the nonsense of these snake oil products

Looking forward to them.

32 minutes ago, Miska said:

On digital cable front, I've been just trying to tell people NOT to use those damn shielded STP Ethernet cables in order to avoid totally screwing up the galvanic isolation Ethernet otherwise provides...

The reason not to use anything but cheap generic ethernet cable is very simple to explain

it is impossible for an ethernet cable or switch to change the audio. One of the advantages of using Ethernet is that the digitised audio is enclosed with  protocols which utilise crc ( cyclic redundancy check ). That means if you flip just one bit, the packet will be rejected for retransmission. This is how you manage to see a perfect page in your browser after the digitised data has traveled across countless ethernet cables and converters to get to you. The bits MUST arrive as sent. Take a look inside a Google or Microsoft server farm. Generic ethernet cables connecting everything.   No Ethernet cable can make a difference

I have forgotten Miska,  Are you in the 'USB cables can make a difference' camp or the ' thats impossible' camp ?

1 minute ago, DonaldT2109 said:

This is how you manage to see a perfect page in your browser after the digitised data has traveled across countless ethernet cables and converters to get to you

.....................and more relevant,   how Spotify plays a song perfectly on my system. There is nothing between the Spotify server and my DAC that can affect the music

1 hour ago, DonaldT2109 said:

.....................and more relevant,   how Spotify plays a song perfectly on my system. There is nothing between the Spotify server and my DAC that can affect the music

What a waste of a perfect delivery, given that Spotify's server doesn't send 'unaffected' music in the first place!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The reason not to use anything but cheap generic ethernet cable is very simple to explain

it is impossible for an ethernet cable or switch to change the audio. One of the advantages of using Ethernet is that the digitised audio is enclosed with  protocols which utilise crc ( cyclic redundancy check ). That means if you flip just one bit, the packet will be rejected for retransmission. This is how you manage to see a perfect page in your browser after the digitised data has traveled across countless ethernet cables and converters to get to you. The bits MUST arrive as sent. Take a look inside a Google or Microsoft server farm. Generic ethernet cables connecting everything.   No Ethernet cable can make a difference

I have forgotten Miska,  Are you in the 'USB cables can make a difference' camp or the ' thats impossible' camp ?

man, do you ever read?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

It hugely matters if you use UTP or STP cable. Because STP cable connects grounds of two devices, potentially allowing dirty ground currents to flow, while UTP cable doesn't and the signals are galvanically isolated using transformers (if you don't use PoE). Transformer isolation exists there for a reason! STP cable can be only used if you have a very carefully designed grounding layout on your entire system (and not for long runs for various reasons).

Sorry Miska   

Can you not understand that the cables do not matter.   The protocols involved give perfect delivery

58 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'm not in any black-and-white camp, I'm in the grey "devil is in the details" camp.

The thing is Miska, the usual Audiophile position/understanding/culture is that there are "details", described in the usual analogue/subjective language, that these high end cables deliver that effect your #1.  For example, this cable might "nail the midrange", while another cable might "expand the soundstage".  In otherwords, most of the time there is no informed/intelligent discussion or $sales$ going on around #2 (though it is referenced in the context of the $sales job$), rather #1.  

@DonaldT2109(who will win in 2020 guys, sorry to those who are not prepared 😋) point is this, the 99%, the Audiophile Cable Confidence Game...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Miska is correct in that STP Ethernet cables provide a path for noise to sneak in that UTP cables do not. Nothing to do with data delivery.

Forget the cables and read up on communications protocols, particularly those dealing with audio (or anything else for that matter)

In your scenario Internation telephone conversations would grind to a halt, All IP telephony would stop ,you wouldn't be able to talk on Skype or Whatsapp.  The protocols used allow all of these systems to use audio ( and video) with no problems

Back to the matter in hand....       USB Audio

I am willing to learn, maybe I am wrong. So I would like you to explain soething to me

Let's say that I want to play my 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC of 'Take 5'  (superb BTW)
I play to USB on my Linux system bypassing any EQ or otherwise. Bits from file sent to USB 'as is'

If I use, for example, the Audioquest Diamond, will I acheive bit for bit transport of the digital stream being sent by my USB port to my DAC.   
i.e     will the DAC see the same digital stream that was presented to my USB port

(I am guessing yes, otherwise the cable would be totally useless because with my current 'cheap' cable the answer is yes)

but please confirm YES or NO         (just yes or no for now please, no drifting into clocks and jitter and other stuff    )

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

Miska is correct in that STP Ethernet cables provide a path for noise to sneak in that UTP cables do not. Nothing to do with data delivery.

And bringing it back to the 'soundstage' matter -- none of these things affect 'soundstage', but instead perhaps at most a very small amount of noise often due to poor circuit layout that allows bad cables to have negative effects.   My earlier comments were about the 'soundstage matter', then effectively morphed into poorly designed electronics and layout...   On poorly designed circuitry (physically and/or electronically), cable effects (and even human body movement) can have negative effects on the analog audio signal.   When discussions get down to that level, it only becomes a mass of obfuscations.

Can we all agree that inadequate designs (either specification or implementation) can cause almost any problem in a system -- including noise?   A really bad design can have intermittent shorts, thereby creating VERY BAD 'soundstage' issues - like nonexistent signals, dropouts and loud splats, but again -- this kind of discussion becomes nonsensical unless there is common purpose in solving an actual problem :-).

When it comes to USB (or most other digital transport) cables, in a discussion that isn't degenerated to the absurd, 'sounstage', 'image' just isn't an issue.  Hardware problems can cause infinite kinds of problems, limited only by the lack-of-imagination by the original designer of defective equipment and cables.

We aren't generally (including me), hobbyists who are  currently designing and building audio interface and digital transport hardware.   A few of us might be doing it professionally, but we should always condition those discussions by making sure that we are talking about 'prototype' hardware and designs!!!   There are a myriad of problems encountered in the design and testing of devices that simply should not be encountered (very often) by j.random audiophile.

John