IGNORED

Has there ever been a spoof audio product?

A while back, trying to get to grips with a particularly esoteric example of replay software, I wondered whether it might be a hoax (reclusive designer, complicated, time consuming and exotically  named routines that often failed to actually play music, hidden features etc etc).  I concluded not as it did give good results when it worked.

However, if we accept the premise of this being in part a “confidence game” we audiophiles could be prime targets for a hoax.   My question is, have there been any genuine instances of this?  Replay software in particular would seem to be a good vehicle for this.  

Please limit examples to those (probably offered free) where the sole objective was to spoof audiophiles as a  practical joke, not paid for products considered by some to be scams, unworkable,  undelivered etc.  (And no references to MQA....)

1 hour ago, Norton said:

A while back, trying to get to grips with a particularly esoteric example of replay software, I wondered whether it might be a hoax (reclusive designer, complicated, time consuming and exotically  named routines that often failed to actually play music, hidden features etc etc).

Bughead Emperor? That guy probably actually believes what he's saying, crazy as it is.

1 hour ago, Norton said:

However, if we accept the premise of this being in part a “confidence game” we audiophiles could be prime targets for a hoax.   My question is, have there been any genuine instances of this?

Peter Belt, perhaps.

See also Poe's law.

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

That's just someone having fun with the name. The actual product looks like it could be useful.

I agree about that.  The only thing worrying me about such products -- drivers.  I keep my own version of Linux because of the driver issue.  The volume control mechnaisms don't work correctly on my plug-in headphone amp without an audio/USB subsystem patch.  (I think that it is a D3, oddly I cannot remember anymore -- too much falling off the other end of my memory.)  Default builds only work well in an emergency.

If such a product had most of the audio related driver matters all handled, it would be a beautiful product.

I only use Windows to build/test a Windows version of the DHNRDS .  All heavy duty work is on Linux.

John

1 minute ago, John Dyson said:

I agree about that.  The only thing worrying me about such products -- drivers.  I keep my own version of Linux because of the driver issue.  The volume control mechnaisms don't work correctly on my plug-in headphone amp without an audio/USB subsystem patch.  (I think that it is a D3, oddly I cannot remember anymore -- too much falling off the other end of my memory.)  Default builds only work well in an emergency.

If such a product had most of the audio related driver matters all handled, it would be a beautiful product.

You could easily run Snakeoil on your own kernel if you wanted.

4 hours ago, mansr said:

Peter Belt, perhaps.

Thanks, I had to look that reference up.  I guess room/system treatments could also be a fertile ground for a spoof, but to be a true hoax  I would say the following have to be true:

1.it’s offered free of charge 

2.it encourages  the hoaxed to undertake actions that are absurd or inconvenient 

3. a  reveal after a suitable period of time.

18 minutes ago, Norton said:

Thanks, I had to look that reference up.  I guess room/system treatments could also be a fertile ground for a spoof, but to be a true hoax  I would say the following have to be true:

1.it’s offered free of charge 

2.it encourages  the hoaxed to undertake actions that are absurd or inconvenient 

3. a  reveal after a suitable period of time.

Peter Belt stuff is cheap enough to fall into the free bracket, and there is no shortage of absurdity. The reveal is missing, though.

"Trojan Horse" Scam?

Back in the late '80s or early '90s a company named Theta Digital issues a "high end" product called the Theta Universal Transport priced between $4-5K (think >$10K today). This huge box that played both CDs and laser discs received rave reviews by the audiophile press at the time (big players still today).

I managed to snag one off of eBay for an incredibly low price from the owner of a high end audio emporium. Not too long after that purchase the news hit that the Theta Universal Transport was little more than a Philips Laser/Multidisc player stuffed inside of a substantially larger case. 

I bought model Philips CDV-400 player that was used by Theta and found that I could not hear any significant difference between the two players. So, up for sale went the Theta and kept the Philips (at a tidy profit IIRC).

The whole thing is laid out in tremendous technical detail at the link below by Lukasz Fikus of Lampizat0r:

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/THETA Universal/theta.html

Hi Norton,

Audiophiles think I'm spoofing them when I say America would be a better place if Harry Pearson had stayed an environmental reporter and not started The Absolute Sound. The defenses are quite humorous and many are absurd. Then I tell them that Harry's efforts to save the Buffalo River surpasses anything he did in audio.

You take care.

24 minutes ago, Doak said:

Back in the late '80s or early '90s a company named Theta Digital issues a "high end" product called the Theta Universal Transport priced between $4-5K (think >$10K today). This huge box that played both CDs and laser discs received rave reviews by the audiophile press at the time (big players still today).

I managed to snag one off of eBay for an incredibly low price from the owner of a high end audio emporium. Not too long after that purchase the news hit that the Theta Universal Transport was little more than a Philips Laser/Multidisc player stuffed inside of a substantially larger case.

A more recent scam of that nature: https://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/lexicon-bd-30-blu-ray-oppo-clone/oppo-inside-lexicon-outside-1

Found this site while searching for something else:

http://www.fcuklabs.com

BTW, I'm trying to remember the name of a company that makes audio tweaks. Their site has kind of a 1950's pulp sci-fi feel. Ring any bells with anyone?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull