IGNORED

The Day the Music Burned

The article has some good information about monetizing back catalog with streaming.  I think I'm remembering correctly that something like half of last year's streaming revenues came from back catalog.  Since the companies usually own the masters, this means anything in the back catalog is fair game for further profit through downloads and streaming.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So sad that we’ve lost cultural heritage — Coltrane’s Impulse!!! 😓😰

The lesson that aught to be learned is that we need to widely store copies of high resolution digital source as well as mastering! Think BitTorrent 😉

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

44 minutes ago, jabbr said:

So sad that we’ve lost cultural heritage — Coltrane’s Impulse!!! 😓😰

The lesson that aught to be learned is that we need to widely store copies of high resolution digital source as well as mastering! Think BitTorrent 😉

No record company would do that.  The cultural heritage to them is only a sales benefit.  They'd rather lose those recordings than risk some torrenting scheme get leaked and they lose all chance at profit.  

This isn't something new, been happening for many years.  I've wondered what the cost of good storage with all the pertinent information and safety masters in a second location really cost relative to the rest of the business.  Seems very short sighted, and always has to me, but maybe costs are greater than I'd think. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

So having read the article some, all the music portion of what was lost in the fire was only 2400 square feet of storage space.  Obviously you could spend not all that much to create a vault far more safe and secure than a metal warehouse building that was used.  Not all that much relative to the long term worth of what was lost.  Seems par for the course in the music biz since forever.  

And such a fine business, of course they lied and mislead for years about the fire.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Aren't we glad that Sony digitized their  catalog to DSD all those years ago for archive purposes....One assumes they have a few backups. 

It really is amazing how often you read about some classic album from the 60's- to 80's and no one is sure where the actual master is. No fire needed. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

11 hours ago, esldude said:

Music remastering is as bad as the sausage factory.  You really don't want to know what goes into your sausage or what goes on there. 

1 hour ago, firedog said:

In other words, they couldn't give a **** for SQ or music history in most cases.

Seems that in general they don't.. The music industry has screwed not only the musicians but also us - the listeners for decades. To paraphrase Frank Zappa they are only in it for the money after all with zero or little regard for anything else..

4 hours ago, firedog said:

Aren't we glad that Sony digitized their  catalog to DSD all those years ago for archive purposes.

All companies should have done so right after the hi-res formats had become available.

Some general conclusion - IMO the situation calls for a couple more music formats - MCQA (Master Copy Quality Authenticated), MCCQA (Master Copy Copy..) etc... and finally WTFKWTQA (Who The F..k Knows What's That but we authenticate our file's faithfulness to this source anyway)!  :D 

I can't imagine Sony would have digitized their entire catalog. Would of course be happy to learn I was wrong, but it would be a huge and expensive undertaking, and the impression the article leaves is that the companies have exaggerated their efforts in this area.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wonder if there is a major difference between labels that are / aren't public companies that need to hit quarterly numbers for shareholders. 

IMO it's quite probable there is one. Only anarcho-sindicalism can save the world in the long run! 9_9

34 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wonder if there is a major difference between labels that are / aren't public companies that need to hit quarterly numbers for shareholders.

It is not only about that "as such" and it is merely about how all has to be formally decent. So for example, Uber seems to be fine without being a pubic company, but now it is (since a few weeks) all kinds of analyses come forward which make you think "what ?". So you can't just lalala around once you are a pubic company. ALL has to be justified, all has to be accounted for and each small thing wrong is punished hard.

PS: You just said the same, I see.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)