IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

8 hours ago, vortecjr said:

There is no way to trouble shoot a unit that does not boot. 

Wow...

Any way we can make back ups of the SD cards or clone them? Because after that information, this is now mandatory behaviour for owners.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

1 hour ago, Pepsican said:

Wow...

Any way we can make back ups of the SD cards or clone them? Because after that information, this is now mandatory behaviour for owners.

I suppose it’s technically possible that Jesus could via Teamviewer log into your PC and upload a new image to your card, if you have the reader available. 

Of cause anyone coukd PM you and give you a copy of his image, but Sonore don’t like that solution, nor do they even like that you’re making a copy of your card. 

22 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I suppose it’s technically possible that Jesus could via Teamviewer log into your PC and upload a new image to your card, if you have the reader available. 

Of cause anyone coukd PM you and give you a copy of his image, but Sonore don’t like that solution, nor do they even like that you’re making a copy of your card. 

Given that it is a custom OS, I'm not even sure how to make an appropriate back up. They'd need to document that. It is very disconcerting that there is no way to recover from a crash.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

31 minutes ago, Pepsican said:

Given that it is a custom OS, I'm not even sure how to make an appropriate back up. They'd need to document that. It is very disconcerting that there is no way to recover from a crash.

Google something about how to do a image copy. Or drive copy. With a SD card. 

But I think it’s better you just spent that $20 ?

Just to be clear, is your unit working or not ?

3 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Google something about how to do a image copy. Or drive copy. With a SD card. 

But I think it’s better you just spent that $20 ?

Just to be clear, is your unit working or not ?

The unit works fine. It currently runs on the old 2.4 version. I agree I will probably have to spend the $20. But going forward I would like to have a backup in case of new problems. Hence the questions.

4 hours ago, Pepsican said:

Wow...

That would work, but it can also cause support issues down the line. The best thing overall is for people to use official hardware. While there are some update issues it’s safe to press update and I recommend that people update every so often. 

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

It’s impractical for us to do this. 

2 hours ago, Pepsican said:

Really there is no way to recover? We ship the replace cards world wide and we support centers in US, Europe and Australia.

Seriously, with the permutations of card types, capacity, and performance on the market we can only gaurentee proper operation of your unit with official replacement hardware. 

8 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

It’s practical for us to do this. 

Did you mean it's impractical?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

22 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

That would work, but it can also cause support issues down the line. The best thing overall is for people to use official hardware. While there are some update issues it’s safe to press update and I recommend that people update every so often. 

Agreed that updating should happen. It is a networked device so for that reason alone it needs to stay up-to-date. But there needs to be a plan B when that fails. Plan B cannot be having the customer spend $20 to correct a failure that's not his/her fault.

So, documented back up/copy procedure please?

22 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Really there is no way to recover? We ship the replace cards world wide and we support centers in US, Europe and Australia.

Seriously, with the permutations of card types, capacity, and performance on the market we can only gaurentee proper operation of your unit with official replacement hardware. 

You call charging me $20 a recovery plan?? If my Windows crashes, I can roll back or re-install free of charge. If my Naim Mu-So crashes, I can reset and recover. If you think you have a valid recovery approach, then make the card available free of charge to me. It is not my fault the update failed. And you sold me OS under warranty. Heck, I am still waiting for an official response on the e-mail I sent to your support team.

2 hours ago, Pepsican said:

The unit works fine. It currently runs on the old 2.4 version. I agree I will probably have to spend the $20. But going forward I would like to have a backup in case of new problems. Hence the questions.

Just spend the $20 for a backup card. It's a painless process.

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Just spend the $20 for a backup card. It's a painless process.

And then spend it again the next time it goes wrong? And again? And again?

30 minutes ago, Pepsican said:

The likelihood is so low for multiple failures? Google is also your friend (one example):

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/09/how-to-clone-your-raspberry-pi-sd-card-for-super-easy-reinstallations/

Even if you choose to DIY, it wouldn't hurt to still have an official one from Sonore as backup...

Plus it's working at the moment. Stress less and enjoy the music! 

Sonore have first class customer service - they will look after you.

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

The likelihood is so low for multiple failures? Google is also your friend (one example):

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/09/how-to-clone-your-raspberry-pi-sd-card-for-super-easy-reinstallations/

Even if you choose to DIY, it wouldn't hurt to still have an official one from Sonore as backup...

Plus it's working at the moment. Stress less and enjoy the music! 

No, it does not work. Version 2.4 works. But it cannot be updated to version 2.5, let alone 2.6. Version 2.5 is bust and I think I am entitled to a free replacement. So, running version 2.4 is a temporary patch till this gets sorted.

The likelihood is low. But it does happen. And other companies have better ways of dealing with the situation when that happens.

6 hours ago, Pepsican said:

I think you should stop complaining. Everyone that wanted the 2.5 version paid the $20. You will have to do as well. 

Please deal with Jesus by email. You will get this sorted out if you already got a card and it’s broken. 

5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I think you should stop complaining. Everyone that wanted the 2.5 version paid the $20. You will have to do as well. 

@Pepsican explained that he already paid $20 to get the 2.5 version.  He takes issue with having to pay a second time.

And you do quite a bit of complaining yourself.  You certainly carried on with Miska about the price of HQPlayer Embedded.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

11 hours ago, Pepsican said:

Agreed that updating should happen. It is a networked device so for that reason alone it needs to stay up-to-date. But there needs to be a plan B when that fails. Plan B cannot be having the customer spend $20 to correct a failure that's not his/her fault.

So, documented back up/copy procedure please?

It's great plan B. I don't like to point fingers...the idea is to get you back up and running. You guys need to respect that there is not going to be a back up / copy procedure posted. 

11 hours ago, Pepsican said:

You call charging me $20 a recovery plan?? If my Windows crashes, I can roll back or re-install free of charge. If my Naim Mu-So crashes, I can reset and recover. If you think you have a valid recovery approach, then make the card available free of charge to me. It is not my fault the update failed. And you sold me OS under warranty. Heck, I am still waiting for an official response on the e-mail I sent to your support team.

They have their process and we have ours. I reply to ALL emails. This is my email address if you want to email me: [email protected].  

9 hours ago, vortecjr said:

They have their process and we have ours. I reply to ALL emails. This is my email address if you want to email me: [email protected].  

Hi Jesus

I sent you an e-mail on April 14th? I haven't received any replies yet, other than on the forum. I checked my spam folder and there is nothing in there either. I'll forward my original e-mail again. Perhaps Google is playing tricks on us.

1 hour ago, Pepsican said:

Hi Jesus

I sent you an e-mail on April 14th? I haven't received any replies yet, other than on the forum. I checked my spam folder and there is nothing in there either. I'll forward my original e-mail again. Perhaps Google is playing tricks on us.

Yes I remember. You sent me an email copying the post here and since I had already replied here I didn't respond.  

48 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Yes I remember. You sent me an email copying the post here and since I had already replied here I didn't respond.  

It actually went the other way around :-) I posted it here, then remembered the enclosed letter with the SD card, found the support e-mail address and send it there. :-)

9 hours ago, Pepsican said:

It actually went the other way around :-) I posted it here, then remembered the enclosed letter with the SD card, found the support e-mail address and send it there. :-)

Read it again:) Anyway, try the step I emailed you and then email the results.