IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

• 3 weeks later...

There is no known way to remove enough CO2 from the air to "fix it" - my advice is to not buy any coastal real estate, and fire-proof property in the western US.

I know of at least one expert who moved to Denmark for a faculty position there.

There is a lot of R&D being done to provide non-CO2 producing power, in storage, and for EVs.  That will all help reduce the problems over time but things will get much, much worse.

I am not saying these things as a hobbyist either....

12 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

There is no known way to remove enough CO2 from the air to "fix it" - my advice is to not buy any coastal real estate, and fire-proof property in the western US.

I know of at least one expert who moved to Denmark for a faculty position there.

Denmark is hardly the best place to escape rising sea levels. Switzerland would seem like a better choice.

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I don't know why he picked it - job offer, schools for his kids, etc.  But he was quite sure it was better than the US - and he is somebody who would know.

Would like to read a short version of his reasoning in this.  It does seem odd to choose Denmark.  

I agree with less knowledge about it than you have it seems pretty obvious there no reasonably near term solution to removing enough CO2 to fix it, and close to zero chance CO2 emissions will diminish enough quickly enough for it to fix things.  So the various guidelines from agencies I think suffer a credibility problem even when they are telling the truth.  The IPCC says greenhouse gas emissions must reach net zero by 2050 to limit warming to 1.5 C.  Sorry pals, that isn't going to happen.  It is so close to impossible they shouldn't even discuss it seriously.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I don't usually see him at meetings as his work is ... I guess I'll say "upstream" of mine (which is the use of physiology of various types to predict ecology - in a nutshell).

The real issue is the ~~40 year time lag in CO2 concentration and the effects of that.  IOW, what you see today is mainly based on [CO2] from about 1980...

Even planting Billions of suitable trees isn't going to help short term, if at all.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 1 month later...

Teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Thunberg, 17, has encouraged students to skip school to join protests demanding faster action on climate change, a movement that has spread beyond Sweden.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1128751

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I can see the Dotard pissing all over the bathroom floor trying to tweet some obnoxious chauvinist poop...

On 11/21/2019 at 2:28 PM, esldude said:

Well that is a cop out.

These guys made it work.

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

nope

I implicitly trust your assessment. 😀

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

What has Little Miss Climate Change actually achieved? Beyond boosting sales of he parents' book, that is.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20191121IPR67110/the-european-parliament-declares-climate-emergency