IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

Just now, mansr said:

Are we awarding prizes for wishful thinking now?

I am not awarding anything.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Nothing.

Here is something to think about... there are nearly 30 major climate models, cloud effects seem to be causing warming effects much greater than 3 deg.  You heard it here first, but note "seem to be"...

3 deg is hellacious in itself

8 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

That is good, but what does a declared climate emergency in the EU mandate ?

I won't mandate anything in England now. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, esldude said:

I quit going to work a few years ago.  Isn't that rather like no longer going to school? At a minimum my carbon footprint traveling to and from work disappeared.  If everybody quit going to work (like me) carbon emissions would drop dramatically.  I simply was not so self centered and attention seeking as Greta seems to be.  I'm not as angry either.  I'm not even asking for the Nobel, but if they gift it to me, I'll do some good with the prize. 

Have you done anything to raise awareness or lobbied for change?

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

if carbon emissions drop dramatically - even if they go to zero right this minute - there will still be hell on Earth

Greta is a few decades too late, but not to say the damage will be lessened

So she would be entitled to the Nobel had she been born in the 80's?

2 hours ago, esldude said:

I won't mandate anything in England now. 

Yes, England is unfortunatelly going down the same hole as the US after electing an egotistical populist moron backed by ultra-liberal right wingers and the finance mafia.

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Well I did take an airline flight last month.  I could have maybe picketed the airport for a few days until somebody offered to paddle me up the Mississippi river on a high tech carbon fiber canoe or something.  Then when they flew back home, I could have floated downstream on my own, but I didn't create a fuss about it.  Guess I messed up on that one.

I have talked to people, but they didn't listen.  Lobbied for change when I still went to work, and for 20+ years made a difference which reduced employee transportation emissions by 20%.  Involved a couple hundred employees.  Then a new regime took over and decided even though the difference cost nothing, it also made them no money and discontinued the practices.  That is when I left.

You definitely qualify for a Nobel nomination.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/11/2020 at 6:38 PM, sphinxsix said:

I'm afraid that the things like leaving minimal individual carbon footprint may not and actually will not be enough if we don't put a pressure on those of our leaders who don't understand.

Dismantling environmental protections under cover of coronavirus.

The Economies have taken a massive blow.

Unless we change the paradigm of infinite growth and consumerist lifestyle and making the top 1% richer there's no way we'll ever make it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 10:40 AM, semente said:

The Environmental impact of Covid:

960x0.gif?fit=scale

On 5/9/2020 at 9:53 PM, elcorso said:

And this from China:

china_trop_2020056.png.e2a56112faa1b033b7f503cb49612dc2.png

Roch

On 5/9/2020 at 10:02 PM, elcorso said:

Some other locations:

EVjLS3EWsAYhh1_.thumb.jpg.a9d28f5e75245ed20a51896b6f9ce72f.jpg

Roch

On 5/10/2020 at 2:04 PM, sphinxsix said:

I had been highly impressed when I saw this for the first time.

One more.

Data from the Ozone Monitoring Instrument on NASA's Aura satellite shows less air pollution over the Northeast United States in March 2020 compared to average values for the month of March between 2015 and 2019.

However impressive these graphs may look, according to a study published in Nature Climate Change, CO2 emissions had fallen only by 17% on average by early April. According to experts it's just meaningless..

Fall in global carbon emissions

Fall in emissions during coronavirus is no cause for celebration

On 5/11/2020 at 7:38 PM, sphinxsix said:

I'm afraid that the things like leaving minimal individual carbon footprint may not and actually will not be enough if we don't put a pressure on those of our leaders who don't understand.

Dismantling environmental protections under cover of coronavirus.

OTOH some good news from the other side of the Atlantic - the European Commission has increased five-fold in comparison to its January proposal the proposed European Union fund to wean carbon-intensive regions off fossil fuels, with fresh cash from a new recovery fund to help Europe’s ailing economies rebound after the new coronavirus pandemic.

EU pledges 40 billion euros for 'just transition' from fossil fuels

BTW seems that currently the United States (responsible for ca 15% of global CO2 emissions) is the only country in the world  to pull out of the Paris climate agreement and thus the States will eventually join the company of countries like Iran (1.66%), Turkey (1.04%) and Iraq (0.48%) that have not yet ratified the agreement.  

I'd really love America to be first but in some different way.. :S