IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

45 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

I’m trying Euphony since few days .... the sound is really good but ...

the library management is the worst I’ve ever found (compared to Audirvana and JRiver) and, the most important bug (anyone realized?), there is no gapless at all using HQPlayer .... this is unbelievable .... here end my trial ....

Hi there
I have also used Roon so far because of the ease of use. And I've been using the stylus for a week, if you spend a little longer on it, it gets better.
I just didn't manage to use Hqplayer under the stylus.
The symbol is shown in the display on the desktop, there is also no error message but there is no music.
You can always test the Hqplayer for 30 minutes.

Many greetings
Jörg
42 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

I’m trying Euphony since few days .... the sound is really good but ...

the library management is the worst I’ve ever found (compared to Audirvana and JRiver) and, the most important bug (anyone realized?), there is no gapless at all using HQPlayer .... this is unbelievable .... here end my trial ....

Indeed, library management is not at the level of those high tier players like JRiver or Roon. But it does its job. I had to get used to it myself, and there is quite a bit you can do in terms of tagging. The manual (http://audiokernel.com/EuphonyGuide.pdf) helps.

Don't know about HQPlayer, I don't use it. Too many possibilities to play with!

My library is fully tagged, I’m using Minimserver and I can manage 16 tags to browse my library.

The problem with Euphony is that there are too few tags available and they are not very useful for classical music, to say a couple of indispensable they are Works and Solists, not to mention Orchestra, Conductor, Instruments and others 

It a real pain browse 8TB of classical music using Euphony ...

Stefano

My audio system

11 hours ago, RickyV said:

So I started with the old version after a week of D23 listening, depth: seems flatter, it has depth but the D23 is more homogeneous that goes also for the sound stage more homogeneous, seems bigger and more separated/ defined and fuller. 
It’s well worth the 100 euros.

Pitty mouser didn’t had 4GB Simms otherwise I would have bought two of those. 

Thank you for doing that extra comparison.

I've put an order in for with mouser uk - on back-order, so I have to wait over a month. But that's still better than the situation when Nenon first mentioned the new models - at that point they were unobtainable from the usual suppliers and so I lost interest.

I'm very happy with my current setup, but the SQ improvements you listed were exactly in the direction I'm aiming for.

Run both Roon and Stylus at the same time for discovery and playback. You’ll get used to it and it works, sort of. 

HQP is also spotty, sometime needs to reboot the app to get it to work. Unlike Stylus that buffers 2 tracks from both local and online music allowing it to have gapless playback, only one track is buffered in HQP. Until recently it didn’t even do this and it was a really pain to use. Better now but Željko has said HQP used a different method for the buffering and didn’t that he have time/priority to do 2 track buffering for HQP. 

I have been now playing with Euphony for 2 weeks. I would have loved to keep Roon as my front end due to its interface, but even compared to Roon + Stylus EP, the Stylus player is just better. The only problem is the library - killer issue. Want at least to clean up the files (until now I let Roon do everything <sigh>). Anyone can recommend me a good app to do this ? mac preferred. 

Hi,

Would someone be willing to help me with CPU Isolation? I have a i9900K CPU and am looking to isolate Stylus, HQPe, and gstp. I understand every system is different. Some have shared their settings but they all seem to be 8 Core CPU’s. Not sure how to balance things with the 16 Cores available.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

My library is fully tagged, I’m using Minimserver and I can manage 16 tags to browse my library.

The problem with Euphony is that there are too few tags available and they are not very useful for classical music, to say a couple of indispensable they are Works and Solists, not to mention Orchestra, Conductor, Instruments and others 

It a real pain browse 8TB of classical music using Euphony ...

You should perhaps drop a note at Euphony's to incorporate more tags. Shouldn't be too difficult, as they seem to use SQLite for databank handling. Myself being a Jazz fan, I fully understand the difficulties of proper tagging classical albums!

Never worked with Minimserver, to me it seems a bit complicated. I am used to MusicBrainz Picard for tagging, but I'd like to have a better tagger at hand.

42 minutes ago, al2813 said:

I have been now playing with Euphony for 2 weeks. I would have loved to keep Roon as my front end due to its interface, but even compared to Roon + Stylus EP, the Stylus player is just better. The only problem is the library - killer issue. Want at least to clean up the files (until now I let Roon do everything <sigh>). Anyone can recommend me a good app to do this ? mac preferred. 

Clean up, you mean tagging? There's a whole lot of it available for Mac. It just happens that there's a recent thread over at the Roon User Forum about Taggers for Mac

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/can-anyone-recommend-a-meta-tag-editor-for-macos/138306

This is not an attempt to convince people about Stylus but I am curious what people find problematic about finding their music in Stylus.  I have used jriver (which is the most powerful in terms of setting up views and rules) and Roon (which has the nicest interface but its rules limitations for each focus is limited) but I don’t find Stylus too bad as long as you clean up your tags.  The systems is unforgiving with respect to tags but once you clean them up I find stylus to be fine.

I have a number of filters which allow me to get to my music pretty quickly.  Once I set them up I found the software to be decent to good.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

9 minutes ago, dminches said:

The systems is unforgiving with respect to tags

.... as any system, but if it doesn’t make available tags there is anything that can be done ... and Euphony is missing the most important tags largely used in classical music 

here attached you can find how many tags I can work with to find something

(Minimserver with Lumïn app)358AC302-A4B5-4547-BE46-D696D07E7353.thumb.png.f4d584087b0c7400b21a0319aaac5ca6.png

Stefano

My audio system

I can’t comment on classical music since I have very little in my library.  I do know that most people seem to complain about organizing classical music in most audio software platforms.

Roon can fill in the gaps for some tagging issues if you let it make its own decisions.  I never liked doing that.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

24 minutes ago, dminches said:

This is not an attempt to convince people about Stylus but I am curious what people find problematic about finding their music in Stylus.

1. Stylus doesn’t show streaming music side by side local music files. For me half my files are online and having access to them beside my local files is useful - rather than have to switch tabs. 

2. Especially since streaming files cannot be sorted by ‘recently added’ like local albums which presumably is what most people are interested in. Always finding my Tidal “A” songs listed first is pretty irritating. Apparently it’s due to Tidal not offering the data but Roon gets around this by having a deal with Tidal allowing them access to their entire database index. 

3. The search and finding function requires half a dozen presses to make the search. Why not offer the most commonly used default “all selected”?

I have a lot more complaints/suggestions for improvements but the above 3 are my main criticisms. 

I agree that the fact that local and streaming files aren’t integrating is a pain.  That is a great feature in Roon.  You don’t have to think about whether the file is yours or Tidal’s/Qobuz’s.

1 hour ago, al2813 said:

To get Stylus to group tracks into albums isn’t difficult so long as the main tags are labeled correctly and files group in your storage logically. 

I use TAG, a Mac app that is simple to use and works fine for me. Having tried a few more complex ones this simple app works best. 

1 hour ago, dminches said:

This is not an attempt to convince people about Stylus but I am curious what people find problematic about finding their music in Stylus.  I have used jriver (which is the most powerful in terms of setting up views and rules) and Roon (which has the nicest interface but its rules limitations for each focus is limited) but I don’t find Stylus too bad as long as you clean up your tags.  The systems is unforgiving with respect to tags but once you clean them up I find stylus to be fine.

I have a number of filters which allow me to get to my music pretty quickly.  Once I set them up I found the software to be decent to good.

I find Stylus a bit buggy. For example, when I shuffle by going to 'Songs' in the menu, start a track, and activate the shuffle symbol, a pop up menu tells me that the first track I am selecting is unavailable, though it plays perfectly well! The error message won't disappear by itself. For that matter, other error messages just keep staying there. Bit of a nuisance.

Also, I haven't found a way to look for genres in, say, Qobuz. But that could be me just not having found the proper menu. If someone knows ...

On 1/28/2021 at 11:29 PM, seeteeyou said:

Once Željko is done with the implementation of OpenOnload and TCPDirect, let's see if X2522-25G-PLUS were able to beat JCAT NET Card XE or not.

He has the packages ready IIRC, you just need to reach out and enable remote access and he'll install them.   As mentioned before just make sure he actually kicks off the audio processes with onload process to take full advantage.  

But yes as you've said the card sounds very good with just stock drivers but onload really does up the ante if your a Linux user, plus its tuneable. 

In have no issue whatsoever with Stylus library. Yes of course you have to spend a bit of time when you first import your music! Roon does a better job on first import but still doesn’t import everything perfectly.

Once you’ve dedicated some time to get your library organised.....here comes something that Roon cannot compete with..Sound Quality! & not by small margin either! 

Yes Euphony has the odd bug like messages appearing, doesn’t bother me to be honest! Focus has to be maintaining / improving sound quality. I’m always nervous when there’s more features are added, more features more services...maybe less sound quality. 

Euphony v Roon is a trade-off! I’ll always go with Euphony being Roon trade-off is SQ!  

Anyway that’s my pennies worth! 

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

In have no issue whatsoever with Stylus library. Yes of course you have to spend a bit of time when you first import your music! Roon does a better job on first import but still doesn’t import everything perfectly.

Once you’ve dedicated some time to get your library organised.....here comes something that Roon cannot compete with..Sound Quality! & not by small margin either! 

Yes Euphony has the odd bug like messages appearing, doesn’t bother me to be honest! Focus has to be maintaining / improving sound quality. I’m always nervous when there’s more features are added, more features more services...maybe less sound quality. 

Euphony v Roon is a trade-off! I’ll always go with Euphony being Roon trade-off is SQ!  

Anyway that’s my pennies worth! 

This is the second time,  at least, that I have agreed whole heartedly with you. My current 3 month trial with Roon is coming to an end and I just have not been using it the last 6 weeks. 

I certainly agree that Stylus sounds very, very good, no doubt about it!

I hope I am not imagining this but using Roon via Euphony sounds better than running Roon Core on its own. I know this comparing apples with oranges but having Roon activated in Euphony on a MacBook Air sounds better than running Roon Core on a .Mac Mini. Both systems feed via Ethernet into a Radpberry Pi 4 with Ropieee as bridge. Roon via Euphony has clearer and better defined highs, devoid of any digital glare, and better bass.

Whatever it is, I truly like Roon in this environment!

17 hours ago, biosailor said:

I certainly agree that Stylus sounds very, very good, no doubt about it!

I hope I am not imagining this but using Roon via Euphony sounds better than running Roon Core on its own. I know this comparing apples with oranges but having Roon activated in Euphony on a MacBook Air sounds better than running Roon Core on a .Mac Mini. Both systems feed via Ethernet into a Radpberry Pi 4 with Ropieee as bridge. Roon via Euphony has clearer and better defined highs, devoid of any digital glare, and better bass.

Whatever it is, I truly like Roon in this environment!

I'm sorry I didn't understand how you are using rpi4 .... I would like to understand if rpi4 can be used as Euphony EP .... thanks

2 minutes ago, maxst67 said:

I'm sorry I didn't understand how you are using rpi4 .... I would like to understand if rpi4 can be used as Euphony EP .... thanks

I‘m sorry, my mistake! I have a Raspi 4 running RopieeeXL. THERE‘s this option in Stylus to tick that searches for UPnP devices on your LAN. When ticked, it does recognize RopieeeXL as it shows it’s logo on the lower right corner. But from whatever reason, Stylus does not stream to RopieeeXL. I opened a ticket at Euphony’s and they looked at the issue, but were unable to solve it. Perhaps they should talk to the Ropiee people to fix the issue.

When, however, running Roon via Euphony, Roon streams perfectly well to Ropieee(XL). You just manage this in Roon‘s audio settings.