IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

11 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Does anyone notice that if you disconnect the ethernet cable form the server/PC where the euphony is, the sound is improved? I am using single box so the entire Euphony/music files are all in the single box and ethernet is only used to control the Euphony remotely.  

Would wireless control be better or worse ? 

I found that having local music storage degraded the midrange compared to sourcing files from NAS. And that WiFi was of lesser sound quality than wired Ethernet.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

I found that having local music storage degraded the midrange compared to sourcing files from NAS. And that WiFi was of lesser sound quality than wired Ethernet.

After my re-install several days ago things were going fine...no skipping or stuttering. That is, as long as I was playing from a USB-connected external drive (and had only 3 or 4 gigs of music on the Euphony Drive.) Last night I loaded the main drive (250GB) to about 80% capacity. Within minutes I was getting an error message every time i tried to select a new song: "Buffering from Web, please wait until the whole song is downloaded." And the song never loads.

Think I'll follow davide256's example and see what happens when I disconnect the ethernet cable.

8 hours ago, organics1 said:

After my re-install several days ago things were going fine...no skipping or stuttering. That is, as long as I was playing from a USB-connected external drive (and had only 3 or 4 gigs of music on the Euphony Drive.) Last night I loaded the main drive (250GB) to about 80% capacity. Within minutes I was getting an error message every time i tried to select a new song: "Buffering from Web, please wait until the whole song is downloaded." And the song never loads.

Think I'll follow davide256's example and see what happens when I disconnect the ethernet cable.

Hi,

Something is clearly unhealthy in your environment, so definitely open a ticket. But as a sanity check, do the following:

• disable RAM root, then reboot.
  • Uncheck all the options under the Settings > Music Service tab:
    image.png
  • Uncheck the cache option in Settings > Library:
    image.png

Now see if it works. Assuming it does, you can add buffering back, then RAM root, and see if it works. 

1 hour ago, sukyung said:

I am using a pink faun spdif bridge.
There is no sound from internal cards.
I heard a sound after rebooting several times, but there is no sound after rebooting again.

20200331_000015.jpg

20200330_235954.jpg

20200330_235944.jpg

I've used the same pci card but with aes and each time i boot the pc i first have to select the card in audio settings (= activate) before play music.

Was using in Ramroot mode.

13 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hi,

Something is clearly unhealthy in your environment, so definitely open a ticket. But as a sanity check, do the following:

• disable RAM root, then reboot.
  • Uncheck all the options under the Settings > Music Service tab:
    image.png
  • Uncheck the cache option in Settings > Library:
    image.png

Now see if it works. Assuming it does, you can add buffering back, then RAM root, and see if it works. 

Thanks austinpop....BUT, I've never used RAMROOT, cache, or any of the other stuff in the list except Song histogram which was somehow checked. In fact, when I first bought Euphony a few weeks back the stuttering started about a day later and a ticket was opened. They told me to uncheck Song histogram, and the stuttering stopped. A couple days later the dropouts within songs began. Support couldn't figure it out, so I parked it, and went back to Daphile. Several days ago I re-installed. There had been a version update, and it played without problems (from the external SSD) up until last night when I decided to load up my 250GB Euphony Drive with music. The TROUBLES returned. Today, I removed the music from the main drive and again used the external. The TROUBLES left. So far about 4 hours playing smoothly.

No doubt, with help from you guys we'll get it straightened. I've got Euphony one one drive and old dependable Daphile on another and can easily switch them out when needed. Time heals all.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the newbie question that may have been answered before...but has anyone had trouble getting the Euphony install to progress past the Euphony terminal screen?   I've tried various pc's and a mac, with usb sticks of different sizes, resetting the GUID table, and various other things, but I can't seem to get the server to completely load on any machine.    Anyone have any tips to get the install to complete?  I've tried following all of the instructions and knowledgebase articles on euphony-audio.com.  I've tried waiting for it t complete overnight to no avail...

Thanks in advance for your help.

54 minutes ago, mt-hifidelity said:

Yes, they're very responsive.  So far they said that it must be that the computer is not seeing the network, so I'm going to look into that a bit more...thanks guys.

Had this happen to me on my Mac mini. I unplugged it from the power, waited about 5 mins, plugged it back in and it rebooted Euphony with no issues.

8 hours ago, mt-hifidelity said:

Unfortunately that didn't work either.  The install itself doesn't complete -- I never see the big 'Euphony' in ASCII letters, it gets stuck on the shell screen. :(

best to verify if its even on the network.  If you have a windows PC you can use a shareware program called "Advanced IP Scanner"  to find the machines on your network..

if you see one called Euphony, thats the IP address you want to use in your browser. Be very sure you aren't shooting yourself in the foot by having the PC and Euphony on

different LAN segments

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

9 hours ago, mt-hifidelity said:

Yes, they're very responsive.  So far they said that it must be that the computer is not seeing the network, so I'm going to look into that a bit more...thanks guys.

The first time I installed Euphony on my computer I could not access it no matter what I tried. I emailed support and it turns out the problem I was having was do to my network switch. I was using a Cisco 2960 managed switch. This is a higher end piece of gear than most people use. Euphony support said it was most likely the problem so I swapped it out for an off the shelf non-managed switch. That took care of the problem for me. No problems since. What switch are you using?

All good ideas, thanks guys!  I was finally able to get it working.   Turned out the network components were all fine, as were the computers I tried....but the image on the USB sticks must not have been writing correctly the first couple of times.  What's weird is that the boot process made it halfway through but not fully.   I finally used cmd line tools to make sure the stick was truly fully wiped and all partitions gone, then I re-wrote the image to it and the install completed.

NOW -- I have another little issue....I'm using an UltraRendu as my endpoint for Roon, and once I got it working with the Euphony server it disappeared from view when using my original Roon server, which is a SonicTransporter.  I really want to do A/B comparison listening between the two servers so this is no bueno.   I have tried power cycling all three but still only the Euphony server will 'see' the uRendu as an audio device option in the setup panel.   Any ideas why that might be?  I can't believe that the uRendu is somehow 'locked' to only talk to one server, but even so, I've tried keeping only one server active at a time and it will only connect with the new Euphony box.   Weird.

1 hour ago, mt-hifidelity said:

All good ideas, thanks guys!  I was finally able to get it working.   Turned out the network components were all fine, as were the computers I tried....but the image on the USB sticks must not have been writing correctly the first couple of times.  What's weird is that the boot process made it halfway through but not fully.   I finally used cmd line tools to make sure the stick was truly fully wiped and all partitions gone, then I re-wrote the image to it and the install completed.

NOW -- I have another little issue....I'm using an UltraRendu as my endpoint for Roon, and once I got it working with the Euphony server it disappeared from view when using my original Roon server, which is a SonicTransporter.  I really want to do A/B comparison listening between the two servers so this is no bueno.   I have tried power cycling all three but still only the Euphony server will 'see' the uRendu as an audio device option in the setup panel.   Any ideas why that might be?  I can't believe that the uRendu is somehow 'locked' to only talk to one server, but even so, I've tried keeping only one server active at a time and it will only connect with the new Euphony box.   Weird.

Was your Euphony Roon Core restored from a backup of your original Roon Core on the SonicTransporter? If so, both Core's may have the same name. Go into Settings > Setup, and look at the field "Core Name." Make sure they are unique.

The other possibility, which is less probable, but is also easy to try, is that both Roon Core's have somehow got the same "unique_id." This problem cropped up in AudioLinux for some of us - see https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=901194 - but it was in the context of Roon Bridges, not Cores. Still, might be worth a try.

For this, you might need Željko to remotely do this, but you would need to shutdown Roon Core, navigate to /data/.appdata/roon/RAATServer/Settings, and delete the file "unique_id." Then restart Roon Core. Roon automatically regenerates a unique_id.

Good ideas, I will look into that.  I have already tried shutting off one server and then the other to isolate to make sure they aren't overlapping on the network.  The server names are unique too....

The euphony roon server was built and then re-built fresh.  I will try doing that with the original sonictransporter roon server too. Its just odd because the euphony will see the urendu but the sonictransporter now will not, even though it worked with the urendu for many months here.   

PS, I explored using euphony on a laptop for the sonic benefits but also because my sonictransporter tends to show more buggy behavior, dropping tracks, not starting tracks and so on.  My 12 hours with the euphony server has been more positive, probably partly because it has a more powerful processor and more ram. 

PPS -- sonically, the old sonictransporter i5 does seem to have the sq advantage so far, vs running euphony os + roon on a macbook pro17" w/i7 and 16gb ram.  unfortunately the sonictransporter is  underpowered and a doesn't work as smoothly as it should.  I need to do true a/b testing to prove this however.

Rajiv (austinpop),

I have a number of questions relating to what magnitude of improvement that I can expect if I make certain changes to my Euphony-based online streaming of Qobuz albums.

I have been an audiophile (who only listens to classical music and opera) for >50 years, using a "speaker-based + LP-based" system for the first 30 years and a "headphone-based  + CD-based" audio system for the past 20 years. I started to use an Euphony PTS music server to access Qobuz about 8 months ago, but I cannot get a sufficiently good sound quality when using the Euphony PTS unit, rather than a CD-player, as my music source.

My audio system is as follows-: CD player (either a Jays Audio CDT2Mk2 or a PS Audio PWT) => Wyred-4-Sound 2v2se 10th Anniversary Limited Edition DAC => Niimbus US4+ headphone amplifier => HiFiMan Susvara headphones. If I assign my CD-player-based audio system as having a sound quality of 10, then I can only obtain a sound quality of 7 when I use my Euphony PTS to stream Qobuz albums - even though I am using a Keces P3 LPS to power both my Euphony PTS unit and my W4S Recovery unit that is placed in the USB line between the music server and my DAC. As an alternative to an USB connection, I also have a Matrix X-SPDIF unit that enables me to connect to my DAC using an i2S connection, but that does not improve the sound quality compared to the USB connection.

My first question to you is what level of sound quality do you get using your full-monty computer-based audio system that incorporates an UpTone Audio EtherREGEN unit + Paul Haynes LPS + Mutec Ref-10 clocker - compared to using a state-of-art CD-player (which I presume you own)? If your CD-player-based audio system is rated at a sound quality level of 10, do you achieve a level of 10 (or greater than 10) using your computer-based system that uses Euphony software and an Euphony Stylus endpoint?

Going back to my personal Euphony PTS-based audio system that I rate at a sound quality level of 7 (relative to my CD-player as the music source), how much better can I make its sound quality (using a numerical scale) if I make the following changes.

The first change that I could make is to replace my Euphony PTS unit with an Euphony Summus unit (https://euphony-audio.com/summus) and according to that webpage Euphony claims the following advantages -" "Activation of Stylus audio player automatically assigns transport of music files to separate CPU cores and turns down high-powered and noisy i7 platform into completely silent audio transport ------ Furthermore, Euphony Summus is booted by default into so called “ramroot” mode (widely embraced by audiophiles worldwide as the best for computer audio), allowing all system files to operate from RAM. Total absence of disk activities combined with near noise free CPU, makes Summus music server a dream come true for computer audiophiles." I don't know if those potential advantages apply equally to Qobuz streaming or only to the playback of local files stored in the Euphony music server's drive. How much positive improvement in sound quality do you anticipate that I will achieve if I replace my Euphony PTS unit with an Euphony Summus unit in terms of numerical magnitude - in terms of moving my Euphony-based from a sound quality level of 7 in the direction of 10?

An alternative approach to improving the sound quality of my Euphony-based system is to make the following upstream changes.

Step 1 - purchase a EtherREGEN unit.

Step 2 - replace the Ether REGEN unit's stock power supply with a LPS unit.

Step 3 - add a Mutec Ref-1 clock.

What degree of sound quality improvement can I anticipate from each step (using the same numerical scale of magnitude that is used to quantify the sound quality improvement that I can anticipate if I replace my Euphony PTS unit with an Euphony Summus unit)?

Jeff.

I replaced the fancy power supply I was using with my EtherREGEN with the simple one that comes with it. I did not hear much difference, nor does the creator of the EtherREGEN when he does the same. Those who claim to hear large improvements with expensive power supplies may be fooling themselves. I tried it myself, and I don't agree that it makes an audible difference.

And for what it's worth, I am not in any hurry to replace my PTS with a Summus.

I think you should spend the money and do all the things cause you seem to need to do it anyway. Please do these things and tell us what you have learned.