IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

1) Euphony image is 8 gb.. you would need to take additional steps within Euphony to expand the music partition to include any extra unused available partition space on a USB drive 2) you have to enable the optane memory in NUC bios as SSD in the SATA controller screen 3) once you have the M.2 drive visible in BIOS you can use the Euphony system transfer option to copy to the Optane drive, it will use all available space when you do a system transfer

I don't understand what do you mean in step 1).

Euphony detects my Optane drive, at least it appears in "Internal Storage" section, I can locate is an Option to copy/transfer my installation to Optane.

I'm using a 32gb USB to boot Euphony, maybe the problem could be that my USB stick has more GBs than my Optane, and Euphony hides the option to copy/transfer because it can't copy the full structure?!

Thank you @davide256

3 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

Hi,

I purchase a NUC8i5BEH, 1x16GB DDR4 2400mhz memory and and Optane 16GB. The goal is to use Euphony Player to stream Tidal to my Roksan K3 Dac.

Right now I'm on Euphony Trial and I have some doubts:

- I can't install Euphony in my Optane stick, is this because I'm on Euphony Trial? I have to purchase full version to install it in Optane? Or the problem is another? Note that on BIOS update isn't recognize as a Bootable drive, I don't know if it is normal, because it's the first time that I'm using an Optane stick.

- Euphony only recognizes 8GB of memory, but when I go to BIOS it says 16GB. I only have 1 stick of 16GB, it is some kind of bug in Euphony? Somebody with the same problem?

- I'm using my Mac to access Euphony through Chrome browser and "Euphony web app" is draining my battery like crazy. With a tab with "Euphony web app" open the "Activity Monitor" show Google Chrome process consuming lots of CPU as you can see in the attached picture. Somebody with the same problem?

I'm in the last build of Euphony with every update applied.

Thank you in advance.

My Mac also states the Euphony web is draining lots of power but my Macbook PRO is 2018, 16GB RAM. It still functions fine but at times may get hot though that only happens if I am actively loading stuff onto the euphony remotely using File manager (u can't do this with trial version) . You can use Dr. Cleaner to monitor the CPU usage and can optimize as needed when you are running out of RAM. 

12 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

- I'm using my Mac to access Euphony through Chrome browser and "Euphony web app" is draining my battery like crazy. With a tab with "Euphony web app" open the "Activity Monitor" show Google Chrome process consuming lots of CPU as you can see in the attached picture. Somebody with the same problem?

Yes, I've found the web browser side to be very power intensive - I've tried Firefox, Edge and (I think) Chrome on Windows 10. And all consumed significant power. Of these, Edge seemed slightly better. Also the web browser on my Android phone consumed significant power. Way more than, say, running a full screen video. The Euphony team really need to look into this.

I've tried disabling any obvious track progress/frequency-of-update displays and and it's still power intensive. Enough to often get my laptop's fan to kick in (around 20-30% CPU usage).

One thing that does work is to minimise the window when you're not using the interface.

In contrast, Euphony/Stylus on the server end is commendably low on CPU power, at least for my non-DSP usage.

I contacted Euphony about this issue and this is their response.

"There is nothing particular you can do on your side except not keeping Euphony app in foreground while listening. 
I admit we did not spent much effort so far to optimize web application performance/power usage on client side. We will look into it..."

So your tip about minimising the window is a good one.

G

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

Update on Web Browser CPU usage:

I hadn't checked this for a few while, but did just now on my brand new W10 laptop, and the results are much better now.

Typical total CPU usage when simply playing a file is hovering 2 - 5% most of the time (with occasional higher spikes typical of W10).

So not sure what's changed, but CPU now acceptable, at least on W10.

My Android phone's battery still seems to discharge rather quickly though. Maybe very system dependent?

All this on latest Euphony 20200227

1 hour ago, k27R said:

The Euphony website says that the trial version does not allow you to install the OS to an internal drive.

I have done this with help of an Ubuntu Live stick. Ouch, almost one year ago. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-941032

I think @Nenon has found another way of installation.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

2 hours ago, Holzohr said:

I think @Nenon has found another way of installation.

It's mentioned in the post below but Euphony might have done some changes in the recent releases. I haven't tried this in a while.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:53 PM, Nenon said:

In my system Euphony sounds better when loaded from my Optane card compared to loading from a USB Drive. But the trial version does not let you install the image on your SSD or Optane card. I think this is a bad decision on Euphony’s side, because you cannot test the full potential of Euphony. However, it’s not difficult to install the image to your Optane card or hard drive/SSD from the command line. Here is a quick guide for those who want to try it. Important: All the data on your Optane card would be deleted. Make sure you know what you are doing. 

You would need to load a version of Linux on your server. You would also need to have root access to that Linux installation. In my case, I already have AudioLinux on a USB drive, so that's what I am using as an example below. Ssh to your server (username: audiolinux  /  password: audiolinux). Exit the Menu (CTRL+C). Type 'su'. When prompted for password, type audiolinux0. You now have root access.

1. Find the device name of your Optane card by examining the output of the  ‘fdisk -l’ command. In my case, it is /dev/nvme0n1.
  2. Download the Euphony image: Run ‘wget http://euphonyimage-798b.kxcdn.com/euphony20190522v3.img.gz'. Find the most recent link from the Euphony web site. 
  3. Install the image. First, run ‘ls’ to find the file name of the image. In my case, it is euphony20190522v3.img.gz. Run the following command: ‘gunzip -c euphony20190522v3.img.gz | dd of=/dev/nvme0n1’. Adjust the command with the correct image file name and device name (from #1 above) if needed.

Reboot and boot from your Optane card. Enjoy!

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

On 2/24/2020 at 8:13 PM, bobfa said:

Actually I doubt it is linux.  I am betting on some other items.

I would shut down the whole network first.

I would startup the linux machine clean, new install.  I would make sure it works with Stylus first.

I would then swap over to Roon and create a new test/demo account.  That gives you a couple of weeks to test and does not effect your existing system at all.

Then when we can debug from there.

Bob

Bob,

Just closing some loops here... I believe I have the system hangs with Euphony figured out, although I will need to let the system run for a few more days to confirm it.

I tried the trial Roon account, but it didn't work.  Did some further research and discovered that AMD processors may have an issue with Linux related to idle power supply current or C-states (specifically the C6 state).  For anyone interested, the most helpful thread I have found is:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683#c194

I have an option to disable power supply idle control in BIOS, which didn't work.  However, disabling global C-state control and enabling Asus' performance enhancement (which raises core voltage a titch) has resulted in the system now going the longest it ever has.  There are some who have used kernel parameters to help mitigate this.

I would honestly like to enjoy the energy savings of C-state control, and may switch to an Intel system when Comet Lake products are introduced, but for now I may have a workaround.

Bought Euphony 9 days ago, and for a couple of days I was ALL GRINS. But, songs started skipping. It was even skipping from album-to-album. Tech support looked at the logs and couldn't determine much, saying only there appeared to be a few instances of the computer losing touch with the DAC. It was suggested I might have a problem with cables. I didn't find anything. I've run Daphile and Audiophile Linux through the same system for months and never had a similar problem. Back to using Daphile right now, and nary a whimper or hiccup.

Any thoughts?

Other than that issue I just want to say that this Euphony OS beats everything else I've used. It does everything better. I'd even go so far as calling the sound SUMPTUOUS.

Up until now Audiophile Linux was king of the hill for me. BUT, not being a LINUXphile I just got tired of chasing its gremlins day after day. By comparison, Daphile has been rock solid and relatively problem free.

As I stated in an earlier post, I use a Partaker fanless mini with a Celeron 3150: 1.6Ghz, 4-core. RAM is 4GB. Despite some claims to the contrary, could it be that this little thing just is not up to the task of doing justice to Euphony? It's what I've been thinking, and I'm eyeing another fanless box utilizing the i7-8550U, which is 4-core, 1.8Ghz. It'll take up to 32GB of RAM. How important is base frequency? (BTW, not interested in buying a NUC.)

45 minutes ago, organics1 said:

Bought Euphony 9 days ago, and for a couple of days I was ALL GRINS. But, songs started skipping. It was even skipping from album-to-album. Tech support looked at the logs and couldn't determine much, saying only there appeared to be a few instances of the computer losing touch with the DAC. It was suggested I might have a problem with cables. I didn't find anything. I've run Daphile and Audiophile Linux through the same system for months and never had a similar problem. Back to using Daphile right now, and nary a whimper or hiccup.

Any thoughts?

Other than that issue I just want to say that this Euphony OS beats everything else I've used. It does everything better. I'd even go so far as calling the sound SUMPTUOUS.

Up until now Audiophile Linux was king of the hill for me. BUT, not being a LINUXphile I just got tired of chasing its gremlins day after day. By comparison, Daphile has been rock solid and relatively problem free.

As I stated in an earlier post, I use a Partaker fanless mini with a Celeron 3150: 1.6Ghz, 4-core. RAM is 4GB. Despite some claims to the contrary, could it be that this little thing just is not up to the task of doing justice to Euphony? It's what I've been thinking, and I'm eyeing another fanless box utilizing the i7-8550U, which is 4-core, 1.8Ghz. It'll take up to 32GB of RAM. How important is base frequency? (BTW, not interested in buying a NUC.)

How big are your music files ? DSD256 can run into issues like you describe if the RAM is not adequate and you have a huge file and running 100% buffer. Try running without buffer and see if that works better. You can also check how much RAM is being occupied when running. - same button u use to check temp/CPU. 

1 hour ago, Chopin75 said:

How big are your music files ? DSD256 can run into issues like you describe if the RAM is not adequate and you have a huge file and running 100% buffer. Try running without buffer and see if that works better. You can also check how much RAM is being occupied when running. - same button u use to check temp/CPU. 

Thanks for checking in Chopin75.

I'm doing no buffering. And while I do have some albums that are very large DSD files, this problem occurs regardless of the size of the file.

8 hours ago, organics1 said:

Any thoughts?

Using only 4gb might be your cause. Definitely don't cache to RAM without more RAM

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Using only 4gb might be your cause. Definitely don't cache to RAM without more RAM

Maybe. Certainly rare are the programs that require fewer resources as time goes by. They're like growing babies. So, I guess I've found yet another one to feed. 😄

15 hours ago, organics1 said:

I'm doing no buffering. And while I do have some albums that are very large DSD files, this problem occurs regardless of the size of the file.

It may be worth trying buffering, and even ramroot - it should make the playback process a touch more efficient - and 4GB RAM should more than enough for buffering several redbook or mp3 files. I'm not sure where you're booting from, but there's a knowledge base item about booting from usb stick requiring more RAM than when booting from internal drive - can't remember if this only applies to ramroot.

Are the CPU/temp graphs and disc traffic tables showing any CPU/RAM/disc overloading when the glitches happen?

Finally, Euphony Support is very responsive, so I suggest you raise a support ticket with them - you may be asked to send in some log files.

28 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

It may be worth trying buffering, and even ramroot - it should make the playback process a touch more efficient - and 4GB RAM should more than enough for buffering several redbook or mp3 files. I'm not sure where you're booting from, but there's a knowledge base item about booting from usb stick requiring more RAM than when booting from internal drive - can't remember if this only applies to ramroot.

Are the CPU/temp graphs and disc traffic tables showing any CPU/RAM/disc overloading when the glitches happen?

Finally, Euphony Support is very responsive, so I suggest you raise a support ticket with them - you may be asked to send in some log files.

I'm booting from the main internal SSD, a 500GB Samsung 850EVO. Didn't think to check for overloading but will get on it. Will also try buffering. Thanks.

As I said in earlier reply to Davide256, I did send logs to support and they seemed a bit baffled.

Before I buy more computer resources it dawned on me that perhaps I should install Euphony to another drive and give it a go in my main desktop, which is i7-4790S with 32GB RAM.This way I get to see what effect significantly more resources will bring to the table.

7 hours ago, organics1 said:

I'm booting from the main internal SSD, a 500GB Samsung 850EVO. Didn't think to check for overloading but will get on it. Will also try buffering. Thanks.

As I said in earlier reply to Davide256, I did send logs to support and they seemed a bit baffled.

Before I buy more computer resources it dawned on me that perhaps I should install Euphony to another drive and give it a go in my main desktop, which is i7-4790S with 32GB RAM.This way I get to see what effect significantly more resources will bring to the table.

I've experienced that it  scales in resolution as you improve processor from i3 to i7, never got it running on Pentium NUC because it wanted UEFI vs legacy boot.

Running on a standard PC with ATX power supply  while it works, wasn't much musical joy there, my assumption being electrical noise interference for USB out.

Never run it on less than 8gb RAM and when I check my idle (RAM loaded) installation its consuming 5.7GB of memory even before any music caching. I do use Roon

so there is likely some Roon database storage in that figure

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

I've experienced that it  scales in resolution as you improve processor from i3 to i7, never got it running on Pentium NUC because it wanted UEFI vs legacy boot.

Running on a standard PC with ATX power supply  while it works, wasn't much musical joy there, my assumption being electrical noise interference for USB out.

Never run it on less than 8gb RAM and when I check my idle (RAM loaded) installation its consuming 5.7GB of memory even before any music caching. I do use Roon

so there is likely some Roon database storage in that figure

VERY enlightening! That's the kind of info I've been looking for. Thanks.

As I experiment with my big rig I'll plug in a couple of my iFi de-crapifiers to see if that helps with electrical noise. Will let you know what I find. Your comments will definitely guide me in the right direction for my next dedicated music computer purchase, which I hope to research and complete in the next several weeks

organics1, did you ever mention where and how you have your music files stored?

I had a thought that you might possibly be using an external USB drive for storage as well as using USB for output to your DAC. If that were true I had a hunch it may be an issue.