IGNORED

5G - Are We Safe Or Insane?

Axial

Look, I don't question the professionalism and expertise of scientists in biology. 

I appreciate their participation and contribution.

We are all discussing and discovering more each and everyday together. 

Scientists are always questioning themselves and looking to improve their findings. 

Sometimes they even change @ 180° angles. It is permissible in science to look @ places no one ever looked before, to theorize. 

Are we the key holders of the universe? 

And look again; I don't know anything more than my grandson; he's more into this stuff than an old fart like me. 

If the pope wants to share his interest I'm all good. 

Now, let assume that there is no health risks if we take precautions...using good common sense. That's fine with me. What are the benefits people in audio like us would get from 5G technology? ...Other than faster hi res audio file downloads.

Let's not talk about health issues anymore; it sucks. 

Let's talk 5G high speed technology, ok? ...Like a super computer @ the speed of light but 100 times faster. ...Just a figure of speech to say that it's much faster than everything else before...3G, 4G. 

Let's have a good time. 

7 minutes ago, Axial said:

You use ESL speakers? 

Yes I do.  Soundlabs.  I've had Acoustats, old and new Quads, and though not stats I've had Maggies which are panels and ribbons. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 minutes ago, Axial said:

Nice.

Thank you. 

Panels can be there own thing with much to recommend them and their own issues to work around. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5G allows people in poor areas (such as developing countries) to have fast internet - in parts of India there are no landlines, just cell service

5G also allows people who now use cable to overcome the "last mile" of high speed internet; running fiber is very expensive in residential areas

5G brings competition to the monopoly the cable co.s now enjoy

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

5G allows people in poor areas (such as developing countries) to have fast internet - in parts of India there are no landlines, just cell service

How does it do this better than 4G.  4G is less hardware intensive, reaches more area with less dense infrastructure.  It is capable of very useful internet speeds even if not able to reach the claimed capabilities of 5G.  I have a feeling the prime areas for 5G are going to be the reverse of what you've described.  Wealthy, developed, already densely serviced areas. 

5G also allows people who now use cable to overcome the "last mile" of high speed internet; running fiber is very expensive in residential areas

Here too, I don't see how this is an advantage vs 4G especially if you lower power for smaller cells and service more densely yet we've seen no one using 4G for the last mile.  

5G brings competition to the monopoly the cable co.s now enjoy

I suppose it might.  Of course if there is anyone with poorer customer service than monopoly cable companies, it would be cellular phone companies.  They can certainly give cable a run for their money in fleecing rather than servicing customers.  It is already a cliche, but cell companies promise the speed of 5G without any word on data caps.  Great we'll be able to blow the monthly data allowance in only minutes.  So with the extra cost of 5G they are also going to just open wide the gates of data you get every month?  Maybe, if so they've probably been making it artificially expensive in the present.  Oligopoly isn't that much better than monopoly especially because it lets them hide what really is a collective monopoly.  

33 minutes ago, esldude said:

How does it do this better than 4G.  4G is less hardware intensive, reaches more area with less dense infrastructure.  It is capable of very useful internet speeds even if not able to reach the claimed capabilities of 5G.  I have a feeling the prime areas for 5G are going to be the reverse of what you've described.  Wealthy, developed, already densely serviced areas. 

Here too, I don't see how this is an advantage vs 4G especially if you lower power for smaller cells and service more densely yet we've seen no one using 4G for the last mile.  

I suppose it might.  Of course if there is anyone with poorer customer service than monopoly cable companies, it would be cellular phone companies.  They can certainly give cable a run for their money in fleecing rather than servicing customers.  It is already a cliche, but cell companies promise the speed of 5G without any word on data caps.  Great we'll be able to blow the monthly data allowance in only minutes.  So with the extra cost of 5G they are also going to just open wide the gates of data you get every month?  Maybe, if so they've probably been making it artificially expensive in the present.  Oligopoly isn't that much better than monopoly especially because it lets them hide what really is a collective monopoly.  

Of course!

And you need to buy new cell phones ...

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/features/story/what-is-5g-and-why-you-should-or-should-not-care-about-it-1409600-2018-12-14

Roch

On 1/21/2019 at 2:40 PM, Jud said:

Also, details matter: Antibiotics are prescribed less often, for good reason, but I believe when prescribed the course should be completed, for the same reason. (In each case, the reason is to avoid creating the conditions that favor evolution of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.)

Apparently that happened awhile ago.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature10388

12 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Love this.

But of course it would have had to - why is this surprising (though perhaps this paper wasn't aimed at saying that)?  Unless you were Barbara McClintock in later years or James A. Shapiro, you aren't pushing for bacteria as little smock-wearing chemists with the group intelligence to know what direction to evolve in.  So something similar to the current ability to evolve antibiotic resistance would have to exist in bacterial genomes already (perhaps as a defense against natural fungal antibiotics?).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

46 minutes ago, Jud said:

Love this.

But of course it would have had to - why is this surprising (though perhaps this paper wasn't aimed at saying that)?  Unless you were Barbara McClintock in later years or James A. Shapiro, you aren't pushing for bacteria as little smock-wearing chemists with the group intelligence to know what direction to evolve in.  So something similar to the current ability to evolve antibiotic resistance would have to exist in bacterial genomes already (perhaps as a defense against natural fungal antibiotics?).

Next time someone says evolution isn't a thing, bring up drug resistant bacteria...

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

esl - 5G does faster better than 4G in rural areas; your impediments are just things that will decrease in cost over time

Yeah, but I never got good 4G in rural areas.  So now they are going to do even more than ever and get us 5G?  I'll believe it when I see it. 

I hope you are right.  I think you are not. 

I'm hoping Elon Musk gets his satellites in low earth orbit going and crushes everyone else on this.  

2 hours ago, wgscott said:

As someone who lost their mother last year to such resistance I am less happy about it.  Then I'm not happy with God either.  His benevolence seems over-hyped. 

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

According to that Nature paper, God (In His infinite benevolence with respect to human pathogens) created antibiotic resistance thousands of years ago, which means at the beginning of time, since we all know the world was created in 4004 BC.  

The obvious reply to that then is to ask why they were not resistant to the drugs at the beginning of their use?

or to walk away, grab a beer, and laugh at the poor souls.

I admit I did not read the paper.

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Next time someone says evolution isn't a thing, bring up drug resistant bacteria...

Happened so often they've got a canned reply. It proves "evolution" only happens when a higher intelligence is acting.

Yeah, that's really said, and actually believed.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.