IGNORED

EarSpace!!!!

Blake

The recording would be fine - but what we are listening to here is a capture of an audio system playback, of that recording. Let's say we captured the playback of a cheap PA at high volume, from a suitable distance - what chances then of having good insight into the contents of the recording itself?

I have zero complaints about Jana is trying to do here - and it's showing the shortcomings of the particular rig, very clearly.

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

... Let's say we captured the playback of a cheap PA at high volume, from a suitable distance - ...

The room is the elephant when it comes to recording a system in this way.

Outside is much better:

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

1 hour ago, Don Hills said:

Outside is much better:

The level of wind sound and ambient noise in the first video is ridiculous. In the second video it's clear that the speakers have poor time alignment, bass and highs don't reach the mike at the same time. The music in the third video is a muddled mess.

I thought the Devore recording sounded really good for YouTube, especially the bass. I look forward to hearing more systems to get a baseline. I've subscribed to her channel.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

We would not make an ultimate judgement on the sound quality of an album from a Youtube video would we ? But it does give us a general idea . The advantages or disadvantages of the dummy head aside  .... as long as she maintains the exact same recording procedure in every room  for each video ...as she states she will ,  then as Audiobomber said , we can have a GENERAL baseline  and get a bit of an idea of differences between not only the system but as importantly ...the room.    I think the video is fantastic and very well done. It is fun to see and hear other peoples' rooms while keeping in mind we are listening on different headphones, Dacs, etc. I am also looking forward to the next ones and also subscribed.  Its also great to see a young woman so passionate about sound and making such a great effort . This hobby needs as many young people as possible !

Great work Jana and keep going !

5 hours ago, Don Hills said:

Outside is much better:

The stadium seemed to corrupt the sound recorded more than the other two. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

16 hours ago, fas42 said:

I have zero complaints about Jana is trying to do here - and it's showing the shortcomings of the particular rig, very clearly.

And what are these shortcomings?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

25 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The original:

Starting at 6:09, the playback:

How many things would you like me to point out?

More than zero would be a start...

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

So, you would find it almost impossible to separate those in an AB comparison, say focusing on the tonality of the instruments, and sense of original recording space?

Nice deflect. 

I ask the question again.

What "shortcomings of the particular rig" are being shown "very clearly" and how do you know these are shortcomings of the rig and not shortcomings of Jana's recording equipment or recording method?

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Nice deflect. 

I ask the question again.

What "shortcomings of the particular rig" are being shown "very clearly" and how do you know these are shortcomings of the rig and not shortcomings of Jana's recording equipment or recording method?

And the classic deflect by all those who refuse to accept that the playback can be at fault, by claiming that any deviation must be the fault of the recording technique and equipment - umm, isn't it amazing how YouTube clips of live music recorded on the most "rubbishy" phones still captures the essence of liveness that was present; but always seems to fail to do this with captures of playback rigs operating - must be a conspiracy goin' on ... ^_^

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

And the classic deflect by all those who refuse to accept that the playback can be at fault, by claiming that any deviation must be the fault of the recording technique and equipment - umm, isn't it amazing how YouTube clips of live music recorded on the most "rubbishy" phones still captures the essence of liveness that was present; but always seems to fail to do this with captures of playback rigs operating - must be a conspiracy goin' on ... ^_^

So ya got nothing...

Why I am not surprised?