IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

11 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I saw Pizza Huts in Rome! As to who would eat such a thing when there is such high quality fare around, I wouldn't know (there are Macdonalds in Europe too, but again, why? It's garbage anywhere you have it (again IMHO))!

I saw McDonald's on the Av. des Champs-Élysées in Paris 35 years ago, and the line was out the door. This surprised me. Either it was an "American novelty" back then, or there for the benefit of foreign tourists too intimidated to appreciate the unique local cuisine. I have a friend like that and it ultimately cost him his first marriage. His wife was a gourmet cook. His favorite food is hot dogs. She remarried someone more sophisticated, and moved to Switzerland, and he's now on wife #3.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:37 AM, jabbr said:

Oh there are so so many debates ... so this: https://pepespizzeria.com/about/

Interestingly, and folks from CT will verify, despite recreating the original ovens brick by brick, the new locations have never been able to equal the original in terms of flavor. The theory is that the wooden shelves where the dough is stored create an environment for the yeast ... the new sites use metal shelves as the wood was "grandfathered" in ...

In any case the pizza in the Northeast USA has little local diversities and passionate adherents e.g. wood vs coal ovens, Neopolitan vs Sicilian, etc etc etc., much like my experience in Italy where moving down the coast from just over the Monaco border all the way down, the pizza changes, slightly, from town to town.

Now BBQ in the states, mostly the south ... same regional differences e.g. eastern vs western North Carolina pulled pork... just keep the pressure cooked mass produced and then slathered in corn syrup ribs away from me! I look for a stack of wood out back before driving in ...

all good fun ;) 

Thanks to this thread, I was inspired to have lunch at Pepe's in Fairfield today. I ate a plain cheese pizza baked in a coal fired oven. OMG was it good.  Thanks again Jabbr!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

30 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

coal??

Maybe it was a typo for cold...........................er  probably not. 

Probably was charcoal fired.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

I thought it was for Hawaiian, invented by a Greek in Canada.

I think you're right. It is still a bad idea.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

the Chicago style round savory tomato sauced pie thing is NOT flat

The reason why I didn't answer the question is because it's too difficult. I would say that a pizza is a hot focaccia base with hot toppings on it. These can be olive oil tomatoes, cheese, onions, various meats, olives, etc., on top. But that's not 100% correct either. That's really just one style of pizza. I have never particularly liked Chicago style pizza. Too much bread. But I love the Chicago "Italian Beef" sandwich and the Chicago style hot dog with the celery salt and the pickle etc! I have made Italian Beef before and it's not too difficult, but I'd rather buy it ready to go.  

George

53 minutes ago, esldude said:

Maybe it was a typo for cold...........................er  probably not. 

Probably was charcoal fired.  

No, it means coal, as in bituminous. It gives a really hot oven -around 1000 degrees F. Cooks a thin crust pizza in about 60-80 seconds. 

George