IGNORED

16 bit files almost unlistenable now...

When did this place suddenly become populated by 30 something females and their accompanying tastes in music?  x-D  (Think I scared off @rumpelstiltskin trying to briefly engage him in a conversation on how dramatic and coarse/negative influences are presented in the funkier side of the spectrum versus the classical genres.  Without completely interrupting a very active thread.)

One of my very first posts here was in regards to escaping PCM quality.  Purposely examining the righteousness of higher resolution multi-channel being inherently better.  Other than the rare SACD, technically has a CD and dual channel layer, this discarding of the physical compact disc from store inventories and mass reliance has seen me exclusively buying them.  The truly great modern recordings available through download in high resolution aren't going anywhere and are only going to get easier to acquire.  

The next assumption I plan to challenge is whether the same system can play both PCM and DSD equally well or if substituting components like DAC's will hold the greatest SQ.  10K cd's is still a ways off in the distance before that comes about.

11 minutes ago, rando said:

One of my very first posts here was in regards to escaping PCM quality.  Purposely examining the righteousness of higher resolution multi-channel being inherently better.  Other than the rare SACD, technically has a CD and dual channel layer, this discarding of the physical compact disc from store inventories and mass reliance has seen me exclusively buying them.  The truly great modern recordings available through download in high resolution aren't going anywhere and are only going to get easier to acquire.  

The next assumption I plan to challenge is whether the same system can play both PCM and DSD equally well or if substituting components like DAC's will hold the greatest SQ.  10K cd's is still a ways off in the distance before that comes about.

Rando, I'm sorry to say this but your post lacks clarity. It could be the noise modulation, who knows, but I can't really understand what you are trying to say...

But I'm not an English language native so the problem might be in the conversion.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I was plumbing the deep vein of female interest in audiophilia for starters.  Much of the music discussed in here is prime repertoire for the age group and sex I mentioned.  That was probably here nor there for the discussion.  

Beyond that was mainly noting the changes that happen as one learns to listen.  Perhaps @numlog would do well to get off the technological pinwheel long enough to reestablish something on this order.  Reaffirm the basis on which they judge recorded sound.  The very human subject of striving for perfection while benefiting from a certain amount of imperfection has been well covered.  No matter what the source material it will never perfectly represent the original article.  If he has reached the end of one road in his journey it might be time to explore down another or starting beating trail. 

19 minutes ago, semente said:

Rando, I'm sorry to say this but your post lacks clarity. It could be the noise modulation, who knows, but I can't really understand what you are trying to say...

But I'm not an English language native so the problem might be in the conversion.

5 minutes ago, rando said:

I was plumbing the deep vein of female interest in audiophilia for starters.  Much of the music discussed in here is prime repertoire for the age group and sex I mentioned.  That was probably here nor there for the discussion.  

Beyond that was mainly noting the changes that happen as one learns to listen.  Perhaps @numlog would do well to get off the technological pinwheel long enough to reestablish something on this order.  Reaffirm the basis on which they judge recorded sound.  The very human subject of striving for perfection while benefiting from a certain amount of imperfection has been well covered.  No matter what the source material it will never perfectly represent the original article.  If he has reached the end of one road in his journey it might be time to explore down another or starting beating trail. 

That clears it up then, bet you're glad you asked ??

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

What do you use for volume attenuation means ?

What DAC do you use ?

Lossless volume control with UDA38Pro DAC

3 hours ago, semente said:

Or maybe it's the other way around, and you enjoy the "grain" of the PCM conversion which is or may be perceived as "sharpeness".

This is what I feel when I compare DSD 5.6MHz to PCM 384kHz with my DAC. But I'm am convinced that it could be very much DAC dependent.

No, I dislike the grain/ loss of detail of 44.1kHz to DSD64 conversion.

I prefer native DSD64 over all PCM so it's not the DAC or a preference for so called PCM ''sharpness''.

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

What are the actual sources of both your Redbook and hi res recordings ?

e.g. are you ripping  CDs yourself , and Downloading Hi Res material ?

Dont have the equipment for ripping so only downloading and torrenting rips of CDs I already own from reputable site.

All the 24bit 44.1kHz albums would have been digital versions, most of 16 bit albums were CD rips.

Are you suggesting these rips could be 'bad'?

3 minutes ago, numlog said:
1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

What do you use for volume attenuation means ?

What DAC do you use ?

3 minutes ago, numlog said:

Lossless volume control with UDA38Pro DAC

No, I dislike the grain/ loss of detail of 44.1kHz to DSD64 conversion.

I prefer native DSD64 over all PCM so it's not the DAC or a preference for so called called PCM ''sharpness''.

I was fishing for digital attenuation in the digital domain and then using 16 bits only (which would be a cause !).

But I now guess that's not the culprit.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Just now, PeterSt said:

I was fishing for digital attenuation in the digital domain and then using 16 bits only (which would be a cause !).

But I now guess that's not the culprit.

I attenuate -3dB in HQplayer so it could be a minor factor. Though, for this DAC at least, I find it's a necessity for optimum SQ, even for albums that dont get too near 0dB.

3 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Is there such a thing as a reputable torrent site ?

Putting aside the legal and ethical considerations and focusing on what I presume was the thrust of your question, the answer is Yes. There are some major private torrent sites with 10s of thousands of members, which have very specific rules about ripping logs - including automated log-checkers that can tell if a log has been modified by the uploader.

So the sites are reputable in that, aside from the occasional human error in identifying the year of release or a specific pressing, the rips they have are indeed from the actual CDs they claim to be from.

10 hours ago, firedog said:

And your point is? I didn't say anything about one medium being intrinsically superior to another. 

But I've compared such transfers of tape to both DSD and PCM - I like the DSD better and think it sounds more like the tape.  It's my perception. Why do you feel a need to chime in? I don't think you have the ability to tell me what I'm hearing. 

Really? At DXD vs DSD128/DSD256 I have a hard time distinguishing. Do you have a specific tape transfer that highlights a difference? Note that I upconvert everything to DSD512 regardless.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:29 PM, numlog said:

So over the past few months I've improved my system in all areas, its not the holy grail of sound but any further improvements will be very subtle refinements.

DXD and DSD128 is pretty spectacular but redbook makes up 99% of the music. As the system improved the limitations of redbook really start to show which is a disappointing surprise.

Sample rate is important but I did not realise just how critical higher bit depths are, 16 bits is just way to low.

Even with the best 16bit recordings and I can now notice this distinct hazy and compressed sound , it's really surprising how clearly audible it is once you get to moderately high volumes.

Luckily 24 bit 44.1kHz are pretty common now but there is so much music, particularly electronic and hip hop, where its true essence will be lost inside this inferior format.

Hi Numlog,

Well I’ve got good news for you. If your 16/44.1 is sounding hazy and compressed, you’ve still got some major improvements to make because those results indicate some major shortcoming somewhere.  On a well set up and well optimised system, even Internet Radio should sound very good; accurate and detailed, with a well defined soundstage, excellent focus and plenty of air and acoustic information and above all have very good PRAT and listener involvement.  Redbook CD files streamed or played from a server should sound mostly very good to stunning with very few absolute ‘duds’. 

Remember there are 4 areas that need to be optimised to get exceptional sound from redbook CD files.  

1. Internet supply and streaming network

2. Signal correction and de-noising

3. Digital signal processing

4 Analog amplification and replay

All you need is one area to be off a little and you can lose a lot in terms of SQ.  For example, plugging a SMPS into the same mains supply as the Hi-fi can play havoc with the system’s overall performance. 

If the improvement you make improve hi-res but only serve to highlight redbook shortcomings, you need to look at those areas unique to your redbook files. For example, if you are streaming redbook from the internet and playing hi-res from stored files, you need to make improvements to those areas unique to the redbook data stream. 

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

I often have wondered if SACD's PWM encoding and its rather aggressive noise-shaping vs CD's PCM encoding and less aggressive noise-shaping is responsible for the difference.

What are you thinking about “rather aggressive” noise shaping? The implication is that this is a bad thing. Wouldn’t you want to send quantization noise out into the MHz range?

Also SACD/DSD/SDM isn’t the same as PWM: pulse width modulation, the pulses are constant width whose width depends on the carrier frequency (50% duty cycle typically)

I like to think of this with a nice relatively gentle and high corner slope filter which doesn’t damage/change the audible spectrum. Noise shaping “pushes” the digital quantization noise out further above the audible spectrum and pushes this noise into a spectrum where the filter most effectively removes it.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.