IGNORED

16 bit files almost unlistenable now...

29 minutes ago, numlog said:

Its true, there is so much redbook material, im interested in how to make a 16bit system.

What are the actual sources of both your Redbook and hi res recordings ?

e.g. are you ripping  CDs yourself , and Downloading Hi Res material ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

20 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Quite a few through the album.  I am listening at my computer right now, so not getting the full effect but song #2 has a heck of a bass track.

OK, got it (Tidal), prepared for the next listening session. 9_9

Very curious as I never heard of Nathaniel Merriweather who is Dan the Automator who is Daniel Nakamura.

On to Tidal for more !

Thank you AudioDoctor.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Plug 3 of De La Soul

Haha.

Maybe he was also contestant #3.

XXHighEnd (developer)

Btw, about De La Soul ...

folder.thumb.jpg.dbc746830e8dbd2901950a080f81b567.jpg

do you know that one ? maybe not.

Apart from this being "special" regarding there are no lyrics on it (let alone advisory texts), half of the tracks of this one is full of super cool electric bass riffs. Ehm, that's how I judged it when I played it on the fairly new Stealth Mach III audio PC, a few months ago when I found this album. I even mentioned it on the Phasure forum.

Then later I played it on the predecessor of the Mach III - the Mach II (also with Linear Power Supply, but  not tuned for speed). To summarize that experience : I was shocked. There were no firm electric basses at all. It now looked, felt and heard like bass flodders - woolly nothing. It rendered the whole album worthless. Nothing special.

Of course the subject is 16 bits (this album is too), but all I want to say with this post is : a stupid PC is already do or die. And then to think that the Mach II was my (self designed) Audio PC of choice for 2 years with xx customers using the same. We were all the most happy with it. And now suddenly another PC/design makes it trash.

Moral : without experiences like these, nobody can say that 16 bits is nothing and 24 bits is all. There's just too many other variables at play.

Now see what you can make of this album. Try to detect the electric basses : https://listen.tidal.com/album/70518588

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

High resolution audio sounds better, that's a ** FACT **.

In high resolution, It is easier to implement lesser distortions technically.

For me 44.1 kHz and DSD64 are most sophisticated in implementration.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Just now, audiventory said:

In high resolution, It is easier to implement lesser distortions technically.

For me 44.1 kHz and DSD64 are most sophisticated in implementration.

Also something to agree with !

XXHighEnd (developer)

6 minutes ago, Summit said:

The quality of the recording is the most important,

ADC distortions also depend on higher sample rate.

For some kinds of editing sample rate is not big matter though.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

16 minutes ago, audiventory said:

ADC distortions also depend on higher sample rate.

For some kinds of editing sample rate is not big matter though.

Most PCM master recordings has been recorded in 24 bit 88.2/96 KHz. In the studio they often used more canals and more than 24 bits and sometimes also higher sample rate to be able to do all those filthy manipulations that is so common this days and not on older records.

4 hours ago, firedog said:

Historically, I found some hi-res sounded better - a little more extension on the high end, a little less digital sounding. Mostly noticeable with acoustic string or percussion instruments. I did seem to find some recordings/examples where it was independent of mastering. 

This happened to me for the first time with PlayClassics' format comparison samples.

I haven't tried with files from other sources since then, and I will always buy the (generally second hand) CD edition unless the HR download is cheaper.

In fact I'm currently thinking about replacing my dozen or so HR files with the 16/44.1 version...but when I think that I'll have to re-tag everything again I change my mind. ?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Key point here is : find that one and only decent original transfer

Which one are you referring to? There are multiple versions, even on CD.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, cjf said:

I'm sure there is something half respectable being created somewhere out there. I've just not witnessed or heard it myself in a very long time. If it does exist, it certainly doesn't seem to get any airplay over the FM Band.

Thank God for XM!

From the last one to 18 years: Robert Rich, Banco de Gaia, Biosphere, Low, Dirty Three, Leila Abdul-Rauf, Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation, Nadah Al Shazly, Helena Espvall, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel, Deaf Center, Patrick Chartol, Yael Illah, Meg Baird, Mazzy Star, Cowboy Junkies, Marissa Nadler, Melody Gardot, Melanie De Biasio, Gillian Welch, Anais Mitchell, Joan Shelley, Patty Larkin, After in Paris, Claire Michael Quartet, Ólafur Arnalds & Alice Sara Ott, etc.  This isn't the kind of music that gets a lot of airplay on FM, but it can be found online without much effort.

I like a lot of music from the 1960s and 1970s, including classic rock, folk, singer songwriter, jazz, and blues, but I am also finding a lot of worthy music from 2000-2018.

If cost is a barrier, you could consider a streaming service.  If Tidal is too expensive, there is Apple or Amazon.  I prefer to purchase and build a library of downloads.

With what is available online now, we are fortunate to have so many options to find, enjoy, and appreciate music.  I hated most of the music on the radio when I was growing up.  I am obsessed with music now.

3 hours ago, numlog said:

Yes, I use HQ player and oversample 44.1kHz to 352.8 PCM. I gave DSD conversion plenty of chances with different filters modulators etc. but I feel there is a loss of clarity, it may be slightly denser and captures the body of voices and instruments better but at the cost of adding slight roughness or grain which is unpleasant.

Or maybe it's the other way around, and you enjoy the "grain" of the PCM conversion which is or may be perceived as "sharpeness".

This is what I feel when I compare DSD 5.6MHz to PCM 384kHz with my DAC. But I'm am convinced that it could be very much DAC dependent.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 minutes ago, firedog said:
2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Key point here is : find that one and only decent original transfer

Which one are you referring to? There are multiple versions, even on CD.

Good question ... (I only have stored the front cover of it, and this tells nothing).

All I know is that only after a couple of years I found "the" one on CD, whereas the Hires version was there for a longer time already (and that one you one want to listen to). Anyway, it is not the HDCD version, of which also two exist ...

Currently I'm coincidentally working on comparison software, showing me the least compression for the versions (of any album) I have.

XXHighEnd (developer)

13 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Good question ... (I only have stored the front cover of it, and this tells nothing).

All I know is that only after a couple of years I found "the" one on CD, whereas the Hires version was there for a longer time already (and that one you one want to listen to). Anyway, it is not the HDCD version, of which also two exist ...

Currently I'm coincidentally working on comparison software, showing me the least compression for the versions (of any album) I have.

The 40th anniversary box set has, among the 5 discs: a remaster of the original master tape. 

A needle drop recording of a UK first pressing, from Robert Fripp's personal archive copy. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)