IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

3 minutes ago, esldude said:

With swiping you put a finger on the first letter and slide your finger to touch all the rest of the letters in a word.  Lightly lift and do the same for the next word.  Sounds much more awkward than it is.  With a little practice just like whole words become something of one coordinated action from your fingers, a swiping pattern becomes one pattern for one finger.  You can soon with not much thinking about swiping instead translate your thoughts via swiping more similar to typing. 

And just how do you differentiate between, say, soon and son?

57 minutes ago, esldude said:

I've a similar story.  My Mom said I was taking typing.  I had no choice.  And boy am I glad she did. 

Now her insistence I learn to be a keypunch operator didn't turn out quite as well.  She said they always need keypunch operators.  Not a lot of money, but a good job part time while in college.  She had me take it at a local community school before 11th grade.  I was the fastest in the class too.  13,000 strokes per hour clean. At that time a whole page in the local paper had such jobs.  By my second year in college those were pretty much not around anymore.  I did use it as college computer classes still programmed main frames that way.  I earned a few bucks putting the programs of others on the keypunch cards.  So her suggestion did earn me more than the class cost I suppose. 

When I was 13, typing lessons were obligatory at my school. Electric typewriters. It was rather dull, but it was only 45 minutes once a week, so not that bad either. In the years since, being able to touch type has no doubt saved me far more time than I spent learning it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, AVphile said:

Isn't it time to end these humorless jabs?  I recently joined this site, so perhaps bickering is the common practice here, but I was hoping that discourse, regardless of whether one concurred or disagreed, would be civil -- and constructive.

It is for the most part. You'll soon learn who to ignore.

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Yea -- from what I heard, it is live perf where they make money...  I'd suspect that the recordings, from the standpoint of the artist are 'marketing material' more than big money making.   (That is, at least what I have heard.)

For major artists, this is true. Less known bands/artists, so they've told me, make significant money licensing tracks for commercial use (advertising). Then again, nobody cares about quality there.

6 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

The feralA decoder configuration will NOT be commercial, and will be a useful subset of the professional DolbyA DHNRDS decoder.  Still have to work out the logistical details.

Anytime there is interesting music, music that you love (anyone reading this), and you think that it is feralA -- just let me know, and maybe I can do something with it for you. (That is do a decode for you.)   Later on, the decoder will be more practical to use, and less of a science project to use it.  At that time, then the audiophile can give it a try themselves.  I'll probably be around for a long time to 'give a hand' if needed though.

What I'd like to see, eventually, is a freely available decoder and a website where people could submit good settings for various albums. No, I'm not volunteering to run that site.

6 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Hmmm...  Yea -- mega CPU usage for sure.  I never said that the DHNRDS didn't suck up every last bit of my 4 core Haswell :-).

One criterion was that at the highest quality level (or nearly the highest quality level), that the program run in real-time on my 4 core Haswell....   Today, the way that it is written, and the available modes, it can run between 3X faster than realtime to 2X slower than realtime.  Of course, the 2X slower is an experimental mode to find asymtotically the highest quality that can be achived using the current techniques.   The slowest practical mode is about 1.2X slower than realtime, but most of the time I play and run tests at realtime while listening.  (So I decode while listening, just like it was a compressor or expander that can run in realtime.)

It is very easy to make the decoder run perhaps 4X faster than realtime, but at that quality level it would be roughly equivalent to a true DolbyA (probably squeeze in a few quality improving features at that speed.)

Providing a service like that, if it ever became popular (unlikely), it would be good to modify the program to run in the cloud :-).

I meant people would run the decoder on their own computers. The website would only collect settings that have been found to give good results.