IGNORED

How To Cope If Tidal Does Go Under?

1 hour ago, vl said:

..... Does Tidal still have this house sound?  If so I shall not shed any tears.

Definitely not on my system. I hear a very wide range of sound quality which reflects directly the quality of the original recordings. There is no ‘house’ Sound. Also Tidal streaming is better than locally stored files on my system due to a high quality Aqvox switch.  

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

34 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

All via Tidal. Everything I hear tells me that lineup wouldnt be remotely possible with Qobuz's library? Am I wrong?

No.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

The difference you may perceive will be be cause of the playback software you use. Once you have them local, it just plays the same as, well, local.

Of course be careful with the Remasters. So it would be true that Tidal gives you Remasters where possible, and not the "originals". Remasters always s*ck.

I don't know about Qobuz and Remasters. They may not have the album to begin with.

XXHighEnd (developer)

10 hours ago, Jud said:

I listened to hi res and CD files on Qobuz Sublime+.  I don't know how they are doing it, but the best way to describe my feelings after listening to just 10 seconds (Cassandra Wilson was the first artist I tried) is the English expression "gobsmacked."  I can't tell a difference from local file playback.

Why would there be a difference? They are streaming the same files you can buy for download.

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

Why would there be a difference?

Because the playback differs. Never heard it ?

No need to answer, but ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

22 minutes ago, mansr said:

Why would there be a difference? They are streaming the same files you can buy for download.

Who knows for sure, but there seems to be one.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Doc, and Jud,

I feel a bit better after both of your inputs on this. I would be thrilled if Qobuz does offer better sound than Tidal. However, I have to say, that in "my specific system" using an Aurender N100H with it's Tidal implementation, through a near world class DAC, and the outstanding Mutec MC3+USB,  (and not listening to MQA versions) Tidal has sounded "almost" indistinguishable  from my NAS Flac files. A good audiophile friend who lives nearby has had the same experience and I've noted it when listening to his system. Now, to be fair, I have heard systems (and very decent ones) playing Tidal that did sound distinctly lacking, but I have no idea what the secret of maximal Tidal playback quality is. I can also add that I've been to two very high end brick and mortar stores that used Tidal feeds to audition some pretty pricey gear. They thought it was adequate for that purpose.

Lastly, my biggest concern about Qobuz has been (at least based on what I've been told) that their library is so heavily classical oriented (which I care almost nothing about), and jazz, and euro music oriented. My listening involves a lot of 60's rock, 70's rock, folk, ambient, prog rock, singer songwriter, and even occasionally things like Arvo Part or even  a bit of Gregorian Chants late at night. As you can see, I use Tidal to listen to a very eclectic music palette.

As an example, earlier tonight, I spent a good four hours in serious listening. I started with early Joan Baez and Judy Collins, moved through Van Morrison, to pieces of several live Yes concerts, to Kate Bush and Steven Wilson, and finished up with a duet album by Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell and finally, two albums by at least somewhat obscure American female singer songwriters. All via Tidal. Everything I hear tells me that lineup wouldnt be remotely possible with Qobuz's library? Am I wrong?

JC

Yes, you are wrong. I found every one of those I looked for on Qobuz. Give a specific list, and I will check on them. If Qobuz gets Roon or HQPlayer integration, there will be little need for Tidal IMO, and classical is my weak suit.

Forrest:

7 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hey Jud, I recall that you unsubscribed from Tidal when Tidal was rather new and MQA did not exist yet.

haha

Hi,  Peter.  I then received a new trial specifically to test MQA. 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

Jud says there isn't. Physical reality says there isn't.

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

Jud says there is, and so do I and others. You are being dismissive IMO if you simply disregard this by saying " physical reality" is different automatically.

Forrest:

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

Your (out of) context tactic doesn't work.

11 hours ago, Jud said:

I listened to both MQA and non-MQA music on Tidal, and saw no particular reason to continue after the trial was over.

I listened to hi res and CD files on Qobuz Sublime+.  I don't know how they are doing it, but the best way to describe my feelings after listening to just 10 seconds (Cassandra Wilson was the first artist I tried) is the English expression "gobsmacked."  I can't tell a difference from local file playback.

That is what Jud said.

XXHighEnd (developer)

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Hi,  Peter.  I then received a new trial specifically to test MQA. 

Hahaha, who wants that !

kidding ...

or maybe not. :P

XXHighEnd (developer)

4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

No.

I expected Qobuz not to have many of the odd things I searched for, but in fact it was easier for me personally to find gaps in Tidal's non-classical library than it has been in Qobuz so far.  Depending on taste I'm sure others' experiences may differ, but I would say it's at least worth checking out.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I am happily prepared to believe my impression that Tidal's streaming non-MQA files sounded less good than Qobuz' streaming files is impossible.  As I mentioned, it was purely a subjective impression and could easily be plain wrong.  No problem.  I am just very much enjoying listening.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

I am happily prepared to believe my impression that Tidal's streaming non-MQA files sounded less good than Qobuz' streaming files is impossible.  As I mentioned, it was purely a subjective impression and could easily be plain wrong.  No problem.  I am just very much enjoying listening.

Tidal and Qobuz could easily be streaming different files and thus sound different.

7 minutes ago, Jud said:

I expected Qobuz not to have many of the odd things I searched for, but in fact it was easier for me personally to find gaps in Tidal's non-classical library than it has been in Qobuz so far.  Depending on taste I'm sure others' experiences may differ, but I would say it's at least worth checking out.

Hi Jud - I'd say it was known already (because it has been a subject somewhere on CA) but for Classical and Jazz there seems to be consensus about Qobuz having the larger library. N.b.: From where I am I also see "Europe" posts passing by, obviously. Most are in favor of Qobuz anyway.

But Jazz and Classical are mostly not for me and outside that Qobuz is relatively (!) non-existent. Rarities ? not on Qubuz, while Tidal seems to live from them (ahum).

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Just now, PeterSt said:

Hi Jud - I'd say it was known already (because it has been a subject somewhere on CA) but for Classical and Jazz there seems to be consensus about Qobuz having the larger library. N.b.: From where I am I also see "Europe" posts passing by, obviously. Most are in favor of Qobuz anyway.

But Jazz and Classical are mostly not for me and outside that Qobuz is relatively (!) non-existent. Rarities ? not on Qubuz, while Tidal seems to live from them (ahum).

Peter

Speaking about rock, folk, and world. But these are huge categories, so they could easily have my "rarities" and not yours. 

16 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

My Tidal auditions took place before loudness normalization by album, so it would have been normalization per track if anything.

I don't know what if anything Qobuz does. 

44 minutes ago, Jud said:

Speaking about rock, folk, and world. But these are huge categories, so they could easily have my "rarities" and not yours. 

Jud - maybe not. Rarities are rarities. Like ALL the tracks of the Doors in "practicing" set up. Of course I am not saying that this per se won't be on Qobuz, but I don't think Qobuz is about that. It is expensive to "have" the rarities, so to speak. Tidal could be dumb to do so, but maybe Tidal was ever back made (set up) by enthusiasts (in the WiMP incarnation).

Not more than 2c !

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

@TubeLover I am also doing my listening with an Aurender device using both TIDAL and Qobuz and I find Qobuz to sound better than TIDAL. The same is true on my iMac to my McIntosh receiver as well.

Give me artists to check and I will be happy to see if I can find them.

Thanks Doc, very kind of you to offer. Why don't you start with the list of music recordings I mentioned listening to last night, and see which, if any, of those can be found on Qobuz:

Joan Baez In Concert part 1 - 1962

Joan Baez In Concert part 2 - 1963

Judy Collins - Wildflowers - 1967

Judy Collins - Who Knows Where The Time Goes - 1968

Van Morrison  - Astral Weeks 1968

Yes - Progeny - Close To The Edge [I. The Solid Time Of Change, II. Total Mass Retain, III. I Get Up I Get Down, IV.

Yes - Progeny -  Roundabout (Live at Ottawa Civic Centre, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada November 1, 1972)

Yes - Progeny - I've Seen All Good People: Your Move / All Good People (Live at University Of Georgia - Athens, Georgia

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow

Kate Bush - Before The Dawn

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing

Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell - The Traveling Kind

Joan Shelley  - Electric Ursa

Jonatha Brooke Live

JC

Both Baez - Yes

Both Judy Collins - Yes

Van Morrison - Yes

Yes -   ?

Kate Bush - Yes

Steven Wilson - Yes

Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell - Yes

Joan Shelley - Yes

Jonatha Brooke - Site maintenance/inconclusive

Where I think you overrate the lack of qobuz catalog depth is 50's to 80's popular music.  The hit machine lacked streams of distribution in those days.  Thus extensive proliferation.  Compare that to the octillions of kids on bandcamp and minor labels on through the one hit wonders and daily digital releases by larger stars.  That is Tidal and their ever shifting waves of music. 

I have the sincerest of doubts you explored far below the surface with your example playlist on either site.