IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

3 minutes ago, Monge said:

I can't find a definitive source for the telegartner plugs in the us. But yeah, over $10 a piece seems OTT to me. I'll let you know how the Cables Matters plugs do.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Dunno what to say but the OP seemed to have abandoned this music server ship

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4541&start=160

Well the SD Card player finally sealed the nail in coffin for PC based audio for me when it comes to getting the best sound.
With all my Linear power and gizmos and add ons I could not get near the quality of sound from the SD Card player and particularly using an SLC Card.

And so another chapter begins building an SD Player for top of the heap sound at a ridiculously low cost.
Put my name in automatically lads for any funding round needed for development costs.

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4541&start=180

If it helps keep this alive John i am willing to stump up 1k of the cost seeing i cannot contribute much by way of software or hardware input.
If it does not work and the money does not bear fruit then so be it, i have spent much more over recent years on this hobby with less to show for it compared to the potential i see in this project.

Even powering the motherboard with SR7EHD from Paul Hynes plus feeding LT3045 directly to RAM couldn't save the day.

10 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Dunno what to say but the OP seemed to have abandoned this music server ship

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4541&start=160

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4541&start=180

Even powering the motherboard with SR7EHD from Paul Hynes plus feeding LT3045 directly to RAM couldn't save the day.

Yes, using an SD Card player pays big dividends with sound quality for the cost - especially once modded. Downside is the card readers are usually cheap and a little flimsy, and they have 32gb limitations. On ebay they are called 'Digital turntables' and that's pretty accurate in terms of inconvenience. But if that's not a deal-breaker and you have some basic soldering skills (to replace clocks and improve power supply), they sound really really good.

Anyway, that's a bit off-topic isn't it?

Apologies but not completely gone yet Wushuliu ?

Been waiting forever to receive CAT 8 cables, one Supra 1 metre ordered almost 2 weeks ago and the high quality German cable referenced in Robs thread and still no delivery yet.

What I had done recently was strip back the POE connectors and soldered 4 pins to V+ out an 4 pins to V- out on all cables with 2 pairs on each. This gave a nice improvement and I thought it could not get any better.

Brought my audio PC with all these cables and power supplies to a meet with some of the good audio guys here in Ireland thinking I would be able to blow them out of the water or at least match this new SD card setup.

Unfortunately the SD Card beat the hell out of my audio PC which really surprised me.

The kicker was as soon as i brought my audio PC home and hooked it up to the Big7 with all my power tweaks and cables and speakers the sound was better than what I heard at the meetup.

So either there is great synergy with my Lampizator and cables and speakers that works with my audio PC or something was not good at the meet with using my audio PC on a Soekris modded DAC, a modded Lampi Level 4 and another small DAC through homemade speaker setup.

Either way back to back at the meet the SD player with SLC SD card was exceptional, maybe when i get it running here on the Big 7 and my own speakers and setup it will be an even bigger improvement.

So in summary sticking with the audio PC in my own rig for now until we get one of these modded SD Card units working with my home rig.

Will be exciting if this SD Card player beats my audio PC here at home when i get it soldered up with reclocker and power supplies.

Sorry for the long diversion but anyway the thread seems to have moved away from cheap POE setup to networking and more expensive connectors!!

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

4 hours ago, paulkouhan said:

Hi everyone,

Nice work !!

May I sugest that you place the regulator on one side, the side you will use to connect the powered device.

Can someone explain to me the purpose of the cable that connects the shielding from both sides ?

Thanks!

Curious as to why to place it to one side? I tried that originally with barrel connectors just to make sure the board worked, but I always feel the sound is compromised with those. I didn’t want to have to unsolder yet again the Oyaide barrels so this seemed like the best compromise. Any variation is probably entering diminishing returns category as it is. 

This cable has JSSG on both sides. The silver wire wrapped around the cable is tied to the shield on both ends of each leg. No idea if this sounds better or not, but has become de rigeur and easy to do since one is exposing the shield anyway. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Are you using one of those poE adapters? I say the best is as direct connection as possible. The difference for me between using an Ibra in an adapter, and then the Supra with even the cheap screw barrels was like watching a jpeg load (or large raw file in Lightroom) and then it suddenly snaps into focus, and there’s all this detail and depth there and you’re actually surprised it’s so in focus and real looking after believing the out of focus one “was it.” (Ahh the brain playing tricks, imagine that). The addition of the LT3054 just took that focus a further step forward, but wouldn't have done it on its own imo. YMMV of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you noticed a difference for the better with the Supra.

I have pretty bad tinnitus from being a rock photographer, and with the addition of the Supra, it was the first time I could tolerate highs that are truly high, I guess one would say trebly. Something like Miles is a good barometer of sound changes for me. The high piano runs of Ahmad Jamal. Anyway, very happy here, with little outlay. DIY CA at its best. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

8 hours ago, paulkouhan said:

Can someone explain to me the purpose of the cable that connects the shielding from both sides ?

Thanks!

John Swenson Shield Guidelines

"PS. For people not aware about the JSSG loop it is is simply a cable shield that is not connected to any of the plugs. Instead there is a drain wire loop that runs along the shield." - H/T Cornan

Unfortunately, I can't find Swenson's original post/statement, so I'm not sure what else it involves.

15 minutes ago, wushuliu said:

John Swenson Shield Guidelines

"PS. For people not aware about the JSSG loop it is is simply a cable shield that is not connected to any of the plugs. Instead there is a drain wire loop that runs along the shield." - H/T Cornan

Unfortunately, I can't find Swenson's original post/statement, so I'm not sure what else it involves.

Thank you, I have just find it :

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/?page=9#comment-659092

4 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Curious as to why to place it to one side?

I assume the shielded cable has to prevent interferences from going inside the DC cable to keep the low noise DC power comming from the power supply clean.

Putting the power supply closer to the powered device by shortenig the cable is good.

Putting the power supply ( or the regulator !)  directly on the device without cable is probably better.

Some time ago I did a LT3045 Jack M/Jack F module to make some tests and find that the best place is on the device side.

image3.jpg

5 minutes ago, wushuliu said:

Excellent. Thanks!

Re: LT3045, it's worth using two in series for improved performance.

There would be too much voltage drop down between the microRendu and LPS-1. Pretty happy now, I think some more burn in needed. 

6 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

There would be too much voltage drop down between the microRendu and LPS-1. Pretty happy now, I think some more burn in needed. 

I meant in general. I have no idea what the specific specs are for either of those. Two LTs in series would only need ~2V drop.

5 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Please read my last post above.

It just says DC cables being used as DC, network for network, and that you've already converted a bunch of DC to Gotham. So it sounds like you're just using the Supra for ethernet?