IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

37 minutes ago, mansr said:

You can also put two (or more) in parallel to both reduce noise and increase current.

Both series and parallel reduces ripple to a minimum.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/310402-fs-ultra-low-noise-power-supply-lt3045-based-pcb-15.html#post5424495

Series is simple. Parallel is not as simple but this post might help you to acheive it if you do not want to buy Stammheims HPULN or HC-HPULN.

Also Alexey have a parallel LT3045 in the pipeline. You just need to wait for it!

🎛️  Audio System  

Ok, well I was hoping at some point there would be attempts made to really compare and hashout cable choices and construction to get to the heart of this, but it's become more like a Choose Your Own Adventure and already stalling out. Too bad. This line of inquiry had real promise. Hopefully Swenson/Superdad will pursue this.

6 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Parallel is not as simple but this post might help you to acheive it if you do not want to buy Stammheims HPULN or HC-HPULN

Already parallel! 

Alexeys = 2 LT3045s for 1A

HPULN = 6 parallel for 3A

HC-HPULN = 10 LT3045s parallel for 5A

Look on LT3045 data sheet, see SET pin on chip used as reference to parallel chips to work together.

37 minutes ago, look&listen said:

Already parallel! 

Look on LT3045 data sheet, see SET pin on chip used as reference to parallel chips to work together.

Yes I know. I use them all! ?

Each LT3045 is 500mA and not parallel. Alexey is coming with a 1.5A version soon though.

To get the 500mA boards (or 1A) to match you’ll need to wire them according to my link above.

🎛️  Audio System  

50 minutes ago, wushuliu said:

Ok, well I was hoping at some point there would be attempts made to really compare and hashout cable choices and construction to get to the heart of this, but it's become more like a Choose Your Own Adventure and already stalling out. Too bad. This line of inquiry had real promise. Hopefully Swenson/Superdad will pursue this.

Why do you think comparisons were not made?  A disciplined process was followed. Tests were performed on multiple systems. Outcomes are clearly communicated. What is missing?

Agreed, John and Alex having a great track record of adding value and insight into CA solutions.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

52 minutes ago, look&listen said:

Already parallel! 

And if none of those suit your needs, you can always make your own PCB.

Wiring brown pair to orange pair for +ve and green pair and blue pair for -ve. I tried all solids and all whites but didn’t sound as good imo. 

So you’re saying that all of the foil from all of the pairs should be twisted together for the JSSG and not just the outer web? 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

4 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Wiring brown pair to orange pair for +ve and green pair and blue pair for -ve. I tried all solids and all whites but didn’t sound as good imo. 

So you’re saying that all of the foil from all of the pairs should be twisted together for the JSSG and not just the outer web? 

No, the outer web IS the way to solder to the shield, that's what it is there for. The foil is aluminum which is VERY difficult to solder so they add the outer wires made out of stuff that IS easy to solder to. The web and the foil is in contact all the way along the length of the cable. So you just need to solder to the web when connecting to the shield.

John S.

That's what I thought. Is it enough to to just twist vs solder? 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

Boy is this stuff stiff though. The shielding around each pair is VASTLY thicker than the usual foil shield you see, which is usually  a few atoms thick of aluminum deposited on mylar. This actually looks like heavy aluminum foil bonded to the mylar. 

Is this is the same cable they use for your old favourite, their Supra USB Cable?

13 hours ago, lmitche said:

Why do you think comparisons were not made?  A disciplined process was followed. Tests were performed on multiple systems. Outcomes are clearly communicated. What is missing?

Agreed, John and Alex having a great track record of adding value and insight into CA solutions.

Must admit I am also confused with the feedback here as DC cables for DC seems to be contrary to ethernet cables for DC as per what we are investigating here.

Good to see that John is now testing Ethernet for DC so hopefully some good clear feedback soon from the master of clear comms!!

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

On 5/23/2018 at 10:26 PM, sligolad said:

Will be exciting if this SD Card player beats my audio PC here at home when i get it soldered up with reclocker and power supplies.

Sorry for the long diversion but anyway the thread seems to have moved away from cheap POE setup to networking and more expensive connectors!!

I have been checking on that thread occasionally to see whats developing. You got to hand it to the folks there with their endless experimenting and discoveries. Sounds intriguing that a cheap SD card player can outdo your audio server.. and I keep meaning to order one for the fun but have too many other pots cooking.

Thanks for the report @sligolad

.. sorry bit off topic.. :)

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

You do realize that we’re just having fun bodging together bits of cable to see if we can make our hifi’s sound better, and not trying to perfect a self driving car or some such mission critical project? Plus the parts are cheap, and it’s only low voltage so not much danger involved. Computer audio is a fast moving target. You can wait, or you can do. I’m glad I didn’t wait and am enjoying the best sound from my system yet. 

+1 It is important not to loose the fun of it all. That is the key however you do it! I trust Larry whatever he finds to improve on his own setup. Even if it do not improve on my own setup I do trust his judgement as if it was my own! By real life experience I know that certain changes are dependent on where your music is coming from. Tidal streaming is not the same as if it is coming from a local server, HDD or NAS. If you want to enjoy them all you’ll have to know that everything do matter! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

7 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

You do realize that we’re just having fun bodging together bits of cable to see if we can make our hifi’s sound better, and not trying to perfect a self driving car or some such mission critical project? Plus the parts are cheap, and it’s only low voltage so not much danger involved. Computer audio is a fast moving target. You can wait, or you can do. I’m glad I didn’t wait and am enjoying the best sound from my system yet. 

That's a hell of a strawman. I was 'doing' this tweak before it showed up here. Glad you got great results. Maybe you could have had better results. We won't know. Enjoy.

19 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I just got some bulk Supra CAT8 to try this out, how are people wiring this for DC cable? There are 4 twisted pair, each individually shielded. Is it just two pairs "-" and two pairs "+" or something interesting like all solids + and all stripes - ?

Boy is this stuff stiff though. The shielding around each pair is VASTLY thicker than the usual foil shield you see, which is usually  a few atoms thick of aluminum deposited on mylar. This actually looks like heavy aluminum foil bonded to the mylar.  The foil part is on the outside, so the foil from all the pairs touch each other. There is a sparse weave of wire around this bundle, which as far as I can tell is not an extra shield, it is just a "drain wire", an easy way to solder to the shields and tie all the shields together.

Anybody know what the material is around the wires? I could not find that out. It seems very soft, it might be a foamed material.

I have the setup to run an impedance VS frequency test, I can compare this and a Canare cable.

It might be a couple days before I can work on this.

John S.

Hi John, if possible can you also add an IBRA Cat7 ethernet cable as well as (based on lmitche's experience), the Gotham Audio cable he used? I'm sure some of us would be willing to send you samples if needed, since excellent results have been reported from all three.

Supra8 (+JSSG) 1ft long wired brn/orn pairs +ve, rest -ve as a DC cable, Uptone LPS-1.2 to Sonore ultraRendu:

I am impressed with it as it slightly edges out my silver plated custom cable - it as if the music has been turned up a notch- better dynamic range?  lower noise floor? I don't know, but in either case it is an excellent tweak for little money!

Have fun!

b.